SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need help pricing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 06:41 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Dokuji
I don't think anyones is trying to diss your car or how much you've put into it man. Just simply that the point of this thread was for a stock sc400 in good(ish) condition. And then without much explanation you chime in with "mines worth 10k with 200k miles bruh" as if that's a good indication of what the Original poster should expect.

not exactly productive, right??
I was simply saying what that year could be worth, not knowing much about the condition at the time. You read way too much into it, if that was your take. I even pegged the low end at $3-5k in the first reply.

The added interior pictures do put it into the "average condition" range, though, which lowers that number quite a bit. Luxury pricing requires a luxury vibe.
The following users liked this post:
Markydzzle (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 07:13 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
So when I say SC crowd being cheap , that includes me. It hurts to know that our crowd is a cheap crowd cause am part of it but it is what it is.
I disagree with that perception. I just look at it as one of the best cars money can buy. These things were pretty dang pricey when they were new and for good reason. They are still better engineered than most crap on the road today. and unless you're a car person who knows the SC market, they look and feel like a very expensive ride still (when clean). Such a timeless design I'd say it's nothing but a good thing. If I cared about "status" I'd go lease a brand new vehicle like most people do to fake that they have money and also to avoid having to do work on their own cars. forget that. I'd rather own my car outright and make it my own cheer up!!! lol
Markydzzle (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 07:14 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
I was simply saying what that year could be worth, not knowing much about the condition at the time. You read way too much into it, if that was your take. I even pegged the low end at $3-5k in the first reply.

The added interior pictures do put it into the "average condition" range, though, which lowers that number quite a bit. Luxury pricing requires a luxury vibe.
I agree with you in principle man, no worries. Though i still think you'd be hard pressed to sell an sc400 at 200k for 10k.
Old 05-29-19, 07:21 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Originally Posted by Markydzzle
Yes! I feel you! Today I detailed my sc and fell in love with it and now have second thoughts on selling it. The question I’m dealing with now is, do i keep it bone stock? As it is so reliable and Easy to drive Or do some simple mods like a drop, rims, and sounds??? Lol either way the sentimental value> the $$ its worth on the market
A drop, rims, and sounds won't hurt reliability at all. Maybe you'' have to replace a few other suspension components because of the drop such as tie rod endlinks or anything with bushings down there, but they probably could have used it regardless.

A lot of us who have owned all kinds of cars can tell you again these things are just special.

I'd go so far as to say that even if you sold it for 4k- you'd have a real hard time finding Anything in that price range to replace it that would be better or nicer or more fun and luxurious.

But hey, I just want the SC forum here to stay strong, so I'm biased
Markydzzle (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 10:17 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Dokuji - may I asked how how long have you had your SC or how long have you been following these cars or the market for these cars ?

I didn't mean it was a cheap car dollar wise that is why the SC people is a cheap crowd. I said ,nobody will pay a premium for the cars now.. just like you said , OP's car is worth only $3700 when it was more than $40k during that time . You yourself proved my point. It was a pricey car but nobody at this point in time as you said is gonna pay a good amount of money for them .

Being in my 50s , I have owned at least 300 cars in my life time believe it or not and I still own 17 vehicles ( cars, SUV , trucks and sport cars) right now . and 6 of them making over 1000rwhp with my 3 Supra MKIVs making 1000-1250rwhp so I know the values of most cars especially the SCs and Supra MKIVs having had them for a lot of years. My build thread here which is the most viewed build thread in any car forum if I may say with over 960k views, will prove my passion for cars and show the 4 or 5 or 6 for which I cannot anymore remember the 2jzgte and boosted SCs I have built so far and still do own as of today. Many on this forum or people who know me and happen to go to any of my places think I have a car dealership but I don't just because of the different vehicles they see .

Based on our experience and what we have have seen on this forum in the past number of years and now seeing it on the SC facebook groups, you can count the number of people who will maintain their cars properly which entails spending and buying good parts that is why our crowd had been labeled a cheap crowd. Me using the word cheap has nothing to do with the value of the SC. Nothing in it is cheap actually that is why most SC owners being young cannot properly maintain their cars.

I said my personal opinion on how much the OP's car is worth and I will stand by it . The more experience a person is with Lexus SCs , the more they are not gonna pay much for such a car. I have two of the rare 1997 SC300 original 5 speed with 115k and 148k miles. I can't even sell them for $5k each, lol. And yet you hear so many people wanting a 5 speed SC especially the rare 1997 SC300 in which only 120 of them were made in the last year of manufacture for the 5 speeds. No doubt a lot of people love the SCs but do all of them are willing to pay good for a nice SC or a rare SC ? heck no ... not even for a reasonable or fair market price.

Last edited by gerrb; 05-29-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 10:38 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb

. Another reason why I am not paying a premium is I know I can never recover what I invest in an SC so to start with an expensive car and then spend a lot to restore it is not just gonna happen for me.

At any rate , good luck selling your car.
Ding. The few who can’t see the light can bury themselves all they wish and deny it.

i’ve been paying for my 3 SC’s to stay on the road for 15 years while maintaining two IS300s. I know which one I’d stick a $700 exhaust on. Perspective is something a lot of younger owners don’t have. They’ve only had a few cars worth of experience and don’t see the bigger picture. I usually have 8 or 9 cars at a time and none have ever been cheap except a beater or two on the side. I had no problem putting $30k into an old E36 so i know about loving the old school, BUT I don’t expect a return on it and that’s the difference.

Sink what you want into your car, but don't expect it back. These are just a few of the cars I paid to keep going all at once. By far the most was my E36 that had every nut and bolt modded on it, but not once did I ever expect to see half that money again.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 05-29-19 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 11:06 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Gerrb- I am in agreement with you- Just simply stating my opinion about perceived value or “status” of a vehicle based on price of entry or price of maintenance. I don’t even think we disagree there, either. I’m basically saying I love the platform regardless of ricers. Lol. Although when you see my car in a few weeks you’ll probably label me as such

i owned w58 swapped sc3 about 7-8 years ago. Feels good to be back if this one holds strong for me over the next few years I’d love to swap this out as well. I love the smoothness of the 1uz (and the soundtrack)

OLT - quite an impressive collection!!

Last edited by Dokuji; 05-29-19 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 12:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old junk, but fun junk!
mrdeezy (06-05-19)