Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 03:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Lexus sc400 cannonball world record

http://edbolian.com/an-amazing-write...david-simpson/

Team Kamikaze Subterfuge 1995 Lexus SC400 34:33

4th Place went to one of the two solo drivers in the event. I was driving a Wangan Highway Roller, a 1995 twice wrecked, once totaled, $1,400 salvage title Lexus SC400 with 260,000 miles on it I equipped it with an overabundance of electronics to try to make up for the lack of co-driver: An iPod with the greatestTransCon Playlist ever pumping through a conquering sound system, a Garmin Nuvi, an iPad running Waze with wireless aux speaker, 3 iPhones running various apps, an AL Priority Laser Jammer, (which paid for itself the one time it was activated and I brought it down from triple digits to a sedately 65 mph before he could reacquire) a Valentine 1 Radar Detector, (Don’t leave home without it), Cobra 29 LTD peaked and tuned with a 100 watt linear and aux speaker, a blue tooth headset, a set of flashing police style (NOT POLICE BLUE)strobe lights for left lane laggers and a few other things which can’t be discussed in a public forum…

I used a 45 gallon fuel tank off of an old Semi truck which I failed to clean out properly AND failed to test properly and this caused constant fuel filter clogging. Thank goodness I added two oversized ones right in the back that were easy to get to and clean. Still cost at least a half hour, though. I must of pulled over to clean them a half dozen times. It was an easy run, living on Beef Jerky and protein drinks. I felt the fallout of the high speed shenanigans of a couple of the guys a few hours ahead of me in Oklahoma. They had been called in to the police by motorists and Truckers who tried to take the law into their own hands. The Boys in Blue were out in force, patrolling the roads all the way into Texas. So the cruise was set at the posted limit and Oklahoma took forever to finally put in my back pocket.

On the last leg into LA, the freeway was shut down with a massive thousand car pile up (at least that what it seemed like) so I ran old Route 66 in. Not the best road to make time but some of the original Cannonball drivers took this route in so it was kinda cool, although another time robbing detour.

Top speed was 137 MPH, made it in 2 fuel stops and had a final time of 34:33.
A new worlds record for a solo driver.

The following 2 users liked this post by O. L. T.:
DaveGS4 (02-27-19), KiroLS (06-05-21)
Old 02-27-19, 06:33 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

that's pretty rad
Old 02-27-19, 06:42 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

there's a video
Old 02-27-19, 07:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Yeah that site links to ed’s site, owner of vinwiki. If y’all haven’t seen his youtube channel I’d recommend subscribing. He’s a cannonballer as well.
Old 02-28-19, 01:48 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah this was several years ago now. Super cool story
Old 02-28-19, 07:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Has been a couple years, but one thing you’ll learn on CL is no matter when it happened or how many times it’s been posted (this hasn’t before), every new member see’s everything on this forum for the first time when they join. Many don’t search either so even things that have been posted get overlooked. This is a first look for CL, so hope everyone enjoys. It’s cool he used an SC.
Old 02-28-19, 07:38 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh i totally agree was just pointing out for people who may not be aware. Im a huge vinwiki fan. I heard the story shortly after i got my SC
really speaks for the quality of the SC to be at 260k miles and be able to cross the country at 90+mph avg speed without a hiccup.. Twice