SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

[Advice Needed] Considering a ‘95 SC400 for $1500; 133k miles. Jump on it or pass?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 09:39 PM
Specv534
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Advice Needed] Considering a ‘95 SC400 for $1500; 133k miles. Jump on it or pass?

Always appreciated the SC300/400s and found one in my area within my budget. My question is given the information
about the car below, should I keep saving up for a better example, or would this car fit my wants fine? (I just want something mechanically sound that I can use as a secondary car for weekends and will last a while). Any opinions/thoughts/impressions?

Seller's Description:

Registered till 10/2018; selling because I’m moving

Original paint and ONLY 133,xxx PAMPERED MILES very low miles most have over 200,000. A/C and heater sunroof and power seats / seat warmers all work perfectly as well as the windows etc. NO LIGHTS ON! No it hasn't been turned off, this vehicle is running so well that there are zero warning lights ie: check engine, brake pads, abs, airbag, service engine soon etc. The paint is in really good shape, not flawless but well above average and definitely spent many years garaged. Transmission shifts smooth, sport mode works great, alignment is solid and feels like all control arm, end link, strut mounts have been replaced. As well as timing belt, radiator, thermostat and water pump. Car will run for an hour with AC blowing and not go even close to the half way mark.

Interior: the seats are actually in great condition and all original however the drivers seat headrest and driver door panel need to be replaced. All window buttons work but the door panel is beyond repair of needing new clips, it's torn and on eBay average price for a mint one is $200 and headrest is $80. There is a stereo (aftermarket) in the car but the storage slot underneath the radio is missing. The pixels on the climate control are burned out but everything works. The head unit isn't working I have nice newer ones but I think something isn't plugged in.

Wheels and Tires: 3 OEM Rims on good tires, but last wheel is spare with bad tire

Photos:
https://m.imgur.com/a/SNDIhcD

Last edited by Specv534; 10-04-18 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 08:03 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Doesn't seem pampered... However, for that kind of money I'd seriously consider it as a great budget driver. If it's been taken care of mechanically better than it has been on the interior and exterior it would be well worth the purchase. I'd spend the $100 to have a mechanic put it on a lift and check it over. If it gets a decent bill of health and doesn't need too much maintenance/repairs I think you'd be really happy with it.
Old 10-05-18, 08:27 AM
drseth
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on whether it has had the timing belt/water pump service. Shops generally charge $1200-1500 to perform. If you are resourceful, maybe you could buy it, fix the obvious defects, drive it a while, then flip it, maybe making some money.
Old 10-05-18, 10:49 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

not sure where you take your car for the timing belt/water pump service but i got mine done for about $500 including parts from gates. Make sure you search around your area for a decent mechanic and dont take it to the dealership.
Just from the pictures i can tell you that if you buy that car with the intention of restoring it, unless you do everything yourself youd be about 6k deep in it before it starts to look pretty. Looks like youll need to get new wheels/tires for it since hes running one of them on a spare. i'd also rip whatever aftermarket radio hes got in there and put the stock one back in and wire in a blutooth unit into it. its what i did on my car and it looks super clean..
if it was me, id pass and wait for a better one but if youre mechanically inclined and are willing to put the work in that it might be a nice little restoration project for you.
Old 10-06-18, 09:52 AM
psy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly if i had the money id swoop in and grab it myself but im also just looking for one to heavy track mod. for a daily i agree with the above and have the timingbelt/water pump check. i love these cars and believe they should all be saved lol i got mine with a blown head gasket and that was a big learning experience (never worked on a 2j) but still running strong. fun simple yet amazing cars
Old 10-22-18, 08:43 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car fax it and check miles... These gauges can be swapped so easily or even having mileage reprogramed.