Lost my 1998 SC3 of 8+ years to Hurricane Harvey - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
Lost my 1998 SC3 of 8+ years to Hurricane Harvey >

Lost my 1998 SC3 of 8+ years to Hurricane Harvey

Notices
SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lost my 1998 SC3 of 8+ years to Hurricane Harvey

Reply

 
 
 
Old 09-14-17, 09:58 PM
  #16  
kostas86
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 49
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Sorry to hear. On the plus side, at least you were able to enjoy it for many years/miles!
kostas86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 02:21 PM
  #17  
texan_176
Pole Position
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
texan_176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 323
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

UPDATE

Just bought a 99 SC300...one owner car 119K miles...Angora beige metallic with tan interior....did not love it at first but it is growing on me. It needs both bumpers resprayed to look mint. The interior is like new; seriously the leather is better than most 2 year old cars I have seen. The same goes for the engine; looks nothing like the age/miles.

I went ahead and applied for a salvage title on my 98. I really do not want to spend tons of money to get a used ECU, program keys, etc. The 98 SC3 ECU is a one year only part number so to find one with the key for sale is almost asking the impossible. I read on various forums of how people dried out their ECUs, cleaned with electrical spray cleaner, or even put them in dry rice to absorb the moisture. I will give this trickery the try just to see if I can get away with a cheap fix. So far I gutted the inside and disinfected it. The car smells wonderful now.

Will post pics of the 99 soon.

texan_176 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 07:50 PM
  #18  
ToySC
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 16
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oh snap! Congrats
ToySC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 09:05 PM
  #19  
Blkexcoupe
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
Blkexcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,648
Thanked 152 Times in 133 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by texan_176 View Post
UPDATE

Just bought a 99 SC300...one owner car 119K miles...Angora beige metallic with tan interior....did not love it at first but it is growing on me. It needs both bumpers resprayed to look mint. The interior is like new; seriously the leather is better than most 2 year old cars I have seen. The same goes for the engine; looks nothing like the age/miles.

I went ahead and applied for a salvage title on my 98. I really do not want to spend tons of money to get a used ECU, program keys, etc. The 98 SC3 ECU is a one year only part number so to find one with the key for sale is almost asking the impossible. I read on various forums of how people dried out their ECUs, cleaned with electrical spray cleaner, or even put them in dry rice to absorb the moisture. I will give this trickery the try just to see if I can get away with a cheap fix. So far I gutted the inside and disinfected it. The car smells wonderful now.
Congrats on the new car.

I didn't know the 98 ecu was specific to only the 98. I wonder what is different from the 99-00. If you're able to locate a 98 ECU without the keys there are services out there that can wipe the ecu and program new keys. It'll require you to have 3 keys programmed though (2 masters + 1 valet).
Blkexcoupe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-17, 08:21 AM
  #20  
texan_176
Pole Position
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
texan_176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 323
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe View Post
Congrats on the new car.

I didn't know the 98 ecu was specific to only the 98. I wonder what is different from the 99-00. If you're able to locate a 98 ECU without the keys there are services out there that can wipe the ecu and program new keys. It'll require you to have 3 keys programmed though (2 masters + 1 valet).
Can used keys be programmed to an ECU from another car?

I have the entire set of 3 keys from my 98. I have seen this service online ranging from $200-300. What is a fair price? I don't want to dump tons of money into this because the damage to the electrical system is unknown. I could have a fully working ECU but bad connections/corrosion in the wiring that makes the car inoperable. It would then be a good candidate for a full green top 2JZ GTE swap with used harness and all. That runs about $6K in my area with parts and labor. The whole car is now going to be worth $1K with the salvage title so the swap kind of becomes a hard sell.

I am willing to put in about $500 to get it fully running then if I know it is good to go I would go as high as $1,000 for presentable seats to put in it.
texan_176 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-17, 09:52 AM
  #21  
Blkexcoupe
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
Blkexcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,648
Thanked 152 Times in 133 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by texan_176 View Post
Can used keys be programmed to an ECU from another car?

I have the entire set of 3 keys from my 98. I have seen this service online ranging from $200-300. What is a fair price? I don't want to dump tons of money into this because the damage to the electrical system is unknown. I could have a fully working ECU but bad connections/corrosion in the wiring that makes the car inoperable. It would then be a good candidate for a full green top 2JZ GTE swap with used harness and all. That runs about $6K in my area with parts and labor. The whole car is now going to be worth $1K with the salvage title so the swap kind of becomes a hard sell.

I am willing to put in about $500 to get it fully running then if I know it is good to go I would go as high as $1,000 for presentable seats to put in it.
I've never done it personally, but from what I've seen $2-300 is the usual going rate. From my research I don't see why a used key can't be used. The car isn't able to distinguish if the key is new or used. It reads the signal at the ignition and checks the ecu for a matching signal to allow the car to start. Asking one of the companies that provides the service would be your best bet.

Try reaching out to Carlos at Lexus Autotek. He recently moved to TX. He parts out SCs, so he might be able to help you find all the parts you need.
Blkexcoupe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17, 11:05 AM
  #22  
Luxor
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (15)
 
Luxor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,294
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by texan_176 View Post
Can used keys be programmed to an ECU from another car?
Yes, used keys can be programmed to another ECU. I bought a used master key from a different Lexus that had the same FCC ID as my original master key. Took the electronic fob out of that key and put in a new uncut key, had it cut and programmed the key myself.
Luxor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-17, 06:20 AM
  #23  
texan_176
Pole Position
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
texan_176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 323
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Luxor View Post
Yes, used keys can be programmed to another ECU. I bought a used master key from a different Lexus that had the same FCC ID as my original master key. Took the electronic fob out of that key and put in a new uncut key, had it cut and programmed the key myself.
Thanks for the info.

Any other computers in the car that require programming?

The ABS and SRS computers will also need replacement but the interchange on them is better.
texan_176 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-17, 07:36 AM
  #24  
IN2LXUAL
Driver
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 132
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

nice bounce back man! Keep posting pics...
IN2LXUAL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 10:06 AM
  #25  
Luxor
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (15)
 
Luxor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,294
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by texan_176 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Any other computers in the car that require programming?

The ABS and SRS computers will also need replacement but the interchange on them is better.
Sorry, I am not sure if the other computers need programming
Luxor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 10:22 AM
  #26  
HOUIS300
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Tough loss, I almost lost my 04 IS but water receded just in time.
HOUIS300 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 12:02 PM
  #27  
texan_176
Pole Position
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
texan_176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 323
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

First photo of the 99 taken today.

texan_176 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost my 1998 SC3 of 8+ years to Hurricane Harvey


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: