Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97+ Grill Cooling/Air Circulation

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 02:37 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 97+ Grill Cooling/Air Circulation

For those who have a 97+ SC or those who have done a 97+ front conversion...

The 92-96 SC's have just the really low opening for the radiator....does anyone know if the air-directing-components behind the bumper on the 92-96 are the same as the 97+ ??

Thanks.
Old 08-22-17, 03:06 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm not certain but as far as I am aware they are the same or substantially similar. It has been a long time since I swapped my '93 front bumper to '97+ but I did not notice any incompatible ducting parts.

Apart from the fog lights and maybe a couple of fasteners the only ducting parts I learned were different are intercooler related for JDM models since 96+ Soarers use the same exact bumper. For them, the 91-95 side intercooler shroud is differently shaped than the 96-00 1JZ VVT-i side intercooler shroud because a change had to be made for the new bumper's shape and to accommodate the new fog lamp assembly in the right side.

And that's a very niche configuration most will never deal with of course.

As far as I am aware, that big ducting section behind the bumper that goes in front of the radiator did not change but someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-22-17 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 09:22 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I'm not certain but as far as I am aware they are the same or substantially similar. It has been a long time since I swapped my '93 front bumper to '97+ but I did not notice any incompatible ducting parts.

Apart from the fog lights and maybe a couple of fasteners the only ducting parts I learned were different are intercooler related for JDM models since 96+ Soarers use the same exact bumper. For them, the 91-95 side intercooler shroud is differently shaped than the 96-00 1JZ VVT-i side intercooler shroud because a change had to be made for the new bumper's shape and to accommodate the new fog lamp assembly in the right side.

And that's a very niche configuration most will never deal with of course.

As far as I am aware, that big ducting section behind the bumper that goes in front of the radiator did not change but someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Kahn,

Can you please check and see on your 97+ bumper if you look through the top grill of the bumper if it leads directly to the radiator?...or is it blocked by some part or component?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-17, 04:51 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I have a 1997 SC300.

The grill is purely aesthetic. Behind the grill there's a black piece of plastic just a bit larger than the grill that acts like a shield. At first I thought it was a spash shield of some kind, but after removing it, it's more of a blockoff plate.
Once removed, I can see my coolant overflow tank in the stock location. All the grill does is feed air into the area behind the high beams.

Regarding your second question, I believe the big ducting that feeds air to the radiator via the lower bumper opening is the same as earlier SCs.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (08-24-17)
Old 08-23-17, 04:54 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
I have a 1997 SC300.

The grill is purely aesthetic. Behind the grill there's a black piece of plastic just a bit larger than the grill that acts like a shield. At first I thought it was a spash shield of some kind, but after removing it, it's more of a blockoff plate.
Once removed, I can see my coolant overflow tank in the stock location. All the grill does is feed air into the area behind the high beams.

Regarding your second question, I believe the big ducting that feeds air to the radiator via the lower bumper opening is the same as earlier SCs.
Listen to Brian, he knows what he's talking about!
Old 08-23-17, 07:23 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
I have a 1997 SC300.

Thanks Brian! Really appreciate the info...exactly what I was needing to know.

I was wondering about that plastic shield, and that's what sparked this post....whether the shield was still there for the 97+ cars or if there was a vent integrated in it. Thanks for confirming this.
Old 08-27-17, 10:38 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

The only way the 97-00 upper grill can be functional is if you remove all the factory ducting from below. That's usually what people do when running a big front mount intercooler without cutting the stock bumper to have a bigger opening.

It would be very interesting if someone could create a ram air intake using this vent. Someone would have to create a duct that's alot like the oem IS300 / 2nd gen GS300/400/430 ram air ducts that pull air from their upper grills.
Then route ducting to the stock intake location. The downside of all that is it creates an intake that's long... and therefore a potential restriction, especially in boosted applications.

The simplest way to create a ram air intake is to mount a velocity stack in the air duct on the passenger side of the 97-00 bumper then snake ducting tube under the headlight so it dumps directly in front of a BFI modded airbox or a cone filter. Or make it longer and feed it directly in front of a turbo