SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 09:42 AM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came the same and put in the heat was just fine. I was worried at 1st also. You're good no worries.
The following users liked this post:
APTech (08-24-17)
Old 08-23-17, 09:48 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 76mmturbo
Mine came the same and put in the heat was just fine. I was worried at 1st also. You're good no worries.
Thanks man, that makes me feel more confident in this product.

I still haven't seen the parts since I left them outside two days ago....I was going to check them yesterday but forgot. I am definitely going to see them after work today. If they returned back to shape, then I will at least revise the title/post as a resource for future buyers.

Can the moderators who revised the title of this post change the spelling from "learn" to "learned"....i think it would make more sense written as: "APTech (KBD): Learned something new about polyurethane kits today."

Last edited by LexIS007; 08-23-17 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 06:01 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Thanks man, that makes me feel more confident in this product.

I still haven't seen the parts since I left them outside two days ago....I was going to check them yesterday but forgot. I am definitely going to see them after work today. If they returned back to shape, then I will at least revise the title/post as a resource for future buyers.

Can the moderators who revised the title of this post change the spelling from "learn" to "learned"....i think it would make more sense written as: "APTech (KBD): Learned something new about polyurethane kits today."
i think what has been learned here is that before we jump on the internet and start ranting, we should do ourselves a favor and do some research first. KBD has sold numerous kits to people all around the country and this topic has been brought up in the past. Yes, it's a bit scary to get home to your body kit and see a box the size of a microwave. But Irving and KBD have proven themselves by making high quality parts and also bringing to light the fact that their parts are extremely durable. If you follow them on FB, IG, or go to their website, you will see that this has all been discussed and resolved. Your kit is going to look amazing. Just take it to a reputable body shop to have it installed.
APTech (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 02:09 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
Your kit is going to look amazing. Just take it to a reputable body shop to have it installed.
Any recommendations Jim?

Yeah, the parts went back to shape....still need minor heating in some areas. As for ranting, can you blame me? I got no paperwork that said anything about "laying this stuff in the sun for days to settle." All urethane kits I got in the past were packaged in proper sized boxes (extra cost or not) that required no time to settle.

The true quality test of this kit will be what it will look like fully painted and installed on my car.

Last edited by LexIS007; 09-11-17 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 05:38 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=LexIS007;9979211]Any recommendations Jim?

I hear maaco does solid work. Get a whole car painted for $599
Old 09-13-17, 07:05 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
I hear maaco does solid work. Get a whole car painted for $599
Lmao! Low blow Jim...low blow.
Old 09-13-17, 07:50 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Any recommendations Jim?

Yeah, the parts went back to shape....still need minor heating in some areas. As for ranting, can you blame me? I got no paperwork that said anything about "laying this stuff in the sun for days to settle." All urethane kits I got in the past were packaged in proper sized boxes (extra cost or not) that required no time to settle.

The true quality test of this kit will be what it will look like fully painted and installed on my car.
I don't blame you for being upset at first. But first course of action should be getting a hold of the seller before going on an internet rant. That's the best initial course of action to resolve any dispute really, work it out between yourselves before telling the world about it.
Old 09-13-17, 08:00 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
I don't blame you for being upset at first. But first course of action should be getting a hold of the seller before going on an internet rant. That's the best initial course of action to resolve any dispute really, work it out between yourselves before telling the world about it.
Halon, I actually did call the seller first and even opened a case with PayPal on the purchase. It was after that, that I posted my experience. Again, based on everyone's advice (including Irving's), I will continue on the path with this kit and hopefully it comes out looking as good as everyone says it will. That't really the beauty of these forums...to share your experience no matter how good or bad it is with the rest of the community.
Kira X (09-14-17)
Old 09-15-17, 08:27 AM
Draelren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my first polyurethane parts a month or two ago myself, set it out in the sun and it mostly returned to shape. There were two spots I had to turn the heat up on my heat gun with, but that quickly smoothed out too. Amazing material and will go back to original shape. I love the shipping costs saved.
Old 09-24-17, 08:16 PM
ZachTriggs
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that these bumpers CAN fold like this is 99% of the reason you buy a poly kit..

Edit: I have the full kit on my car and it reshaped in the Texas sun within a few hours.
Old 09-25-17, 07:13 AM
TacMedDoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZachTriggs
The fact that these bumpers CAN fold like this is 99% of the reason you buy a poly kit..

Edit: I have the full kit on my car and it reshaped in the Texas sun within a few hours.
Agreed. Funny enough, but the company should advertise how they ship out their products and quote customer results as a selling point. Since I cannot source out a 97-00 oem side skirts, I will more than likely run these.
Old 09-25-17, 05:13 PM
APTech
Former Sponsor

We do try and make the customer aware prior to ordering (we even have a hashtag: #origamibumpers), as have it in our FAQ page on our website. We also include an instruction sheet specifying that the part is supposed to come folded and how to return it to shape.
Old 10-02-17, 07:15 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZachTriggs

Originally Posted by TacMedDoc
Agreed. Funny enough, but the company should advertise how they ship out their products and quote customer results as a selling point. Since I cannot source out a 97-00 oem side skirts, I will more than likely run these.
Originally Posted by APTech
We do try and make the customer aware prior to ordering (we even have a hashtag: #origamibumpers), as have it in our FAQ page on our website. We also include an instruction sheet specifying that the part is supposed to come folded and how to return it to shape.
Why is everyone assuming that I don't know what polyurethane is!?!?! Again....I've had polyurethane parts ordered in the past for my previous cars, and NONE had been delivered folded up together in a box 1/3 of their size...NONE. Yeah, maybe the additional cost for proper packaging was included in the price on previous parts, but honestly, it wasn't like I wasn't charged "extra" on this kit (yeah, I have PM's to prove two different price quotes for the same parts, from the seller...what caused the price increase?).

All my pieces went back to normal shape, except for the side skirts....they are 80% back to shape, and still have the bends from when they were folded together. It's been over a month.

I can post pics up soon to show everyone...so I can stop hearing, "these are the great properties of polyurethane!!!"
Old 10-02-17, 06:20 PM
TacMedDoc
Driver School Candidate

I never said anything to or about you tbh. I was just agreeing with Zach.
Old 10-03-17, 10:28 AM
APTech
Former Sponsor

If the parts have not yet returned to shape, please feel free to PM me and we can take care of you.
As for the price differences, you're comparing quotes that were 6 months apart from each other. I was likely having a sale the first time, and I did my best to meet the original quote.

Quick Reply: APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today