SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2000 Maxima SE 5spd Vs. Lex Sc300/400, which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-03, 04:39 PM
NiteOwl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that I can lend any advice, but I am in almost the exact same boat. I am trying to choose between a 2k2 Maxima SE auto or a 93-96 SC400 or 95-97 LS400. I am looking for something comfortable with an automatic to drive on my daily commute which is 25 miles each way in average to heavy traffic. I already own a couple weekend toys (supercharged Miata, lifted TJ), so I don't really need the sportiness of the SC, but have always liked them. I have narrowed my choices to these 3 vehicles, and have gone back and forth through all of them. The pluses of the Max are its newer, much lower miles, comes with HIDs, and will have some to alot of the factory warranty left. The minuses are that I want to keep the price down as much as possible, so I am looking at cloth interior, no sunroof, no Bose, no heated seats etc. Basically a stripped SE. The thing to watch out for is that Nissan sold a ton of these to Hertz and Enterprise, and many are now hitting the market. To find a non ex-rental SE that isnt loaded is tough. I had agreed to buy one with 14k for $16.5k. The owner had trouble with getting the title transferred from one state to another and we cancelled the deal. The most miles I want on a SC/LS is 70k or lower - which is very tough to find, especially for a good price. I would like to stay in the $12.5k range for a Lexus, but that appears to be nearly impossible. I am having a hard time justifying paying $1,500 or so less for a car with 50k more miles (Lexus vs the Max). I actually would rather have an LS because 95 and newer is the 2nd generation, motor etc, but most have 100k or more miles on them. Most that don't are gold, white or black which I can't stand. Of course to make things more difficult, I want a grey interior, and would prefer a silver car, but would take grey, moonstone, blue or dark green. Many of the SCs seem to have a ton of miles on them. I went to see a 95 this week with 66k miles for $12k obo, and it was beat on hard. Both bumper skins had been repainted, of course the drivers seat was worn and cracked, tires were dry rotted, and there was a ton of old leaves under the hood. I have a lead on an 94 SC with 63k miles for $11k, but havent gone to see it yet. Certainly a tough decision on all fronts.
Old 06-13-03, 05:00 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy One down and another to go

I can understand your situation. The decision between these two cars is a hard one because they're both great cars in their own rights.

Well, I went to go look at the 2000 Maxima SE I was considering to buy and to say the least I was very disappointed with the exterior condition. The owner described it as immaculate with only one minor scratch. Upon inspecting the car I found numerous dings and dents as well as scratches, the front bumper even had a gouge. Whats more, the left headlight even had condensation in it, I suspect it has something to do with gouge in the front bumper. Maybe some type of impact. It didn't have the optional 17inch wheels either. The interior was mint however. I will test drive it tomorrow but it isn't worth the 13k asking price at all. I hope the SC is better condition. Here are some pics.

Scrape on bumper

Last edited by Technics; 06-13-03 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-13-03, 05:03 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Dents and scrapes on fender, note the condensation in the side marker
Old 06-13-03, 05:04 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Gouge in bumper and more condensation in the headlight
Old 06-13-03, 05:11 PM
sc400atl
Driver School Candidate

pass on the max. it has been maximized !!!!!! amazing that people do not treat their auto's any better. i have a 2000 max se and their are no scrapes or dents, just the bad nissan paint job that most people can not notice. condensation in the headlights and side markers is very unusual. see how the sc will be. good luck

96 sc400
98 jaguar xj8l
2000 nissan maxima se
Old 06-13-03, 05:41 PM
NiteOwl
Driver

That Max needs a new bumper skin, which with paint and labor has got to be several hundred $$$ - I agree that the condensation likely is the result of some sort of impact. When an owner describes their car as immaculate, and you find it in that condition, makes you wonder how well they kept up on the maintenance. I would not waste your time going back to see it unless you are just going to drive it to see if you like that type of car. With as new of a car as the Maximas you are looking at you should be able to find something that is in 9 out of 10 condition. $13k is a joke for that one.
Old 06-17-03, 07:00 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

The bottom line is you cannot compare the two cars. Think about it. The Maxima cost about $25 grand new, the Lexus SC400 cost $50+ grand new. Its like comparing a Acura 3.2 TL with a Lexus SC430. NOT POSSIBLE!!!! The only nissan you might be able to compare with a SC400 is a 350Z. Plus people will look at you alot differently if you roll up in a Lexus compared to a Maxima. But its your $ so get what you feel is more comfortable for you.
Old 08-04-03, 06:33 PM
dirtymarti
Driver School Candidate

take a stand and let eveyone know about it. Get an SC and get out of the norm.
Old 08-04-03, 07:00 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I would like to think that he already has. This post is old. . .
Old 08-04-03, 07:09 PM
NiteOwl
Driver

Well I just bought a 96LS with 67k miles for $14k. Black Jade with Grey leather, loaded (exc Nak - Damn it!). Brand new Michelins, and passed the presale inspection at the dealership save for the need of a new battery and the high pressure power steering line. I decided against the Max because I know myself well enough to know that I would not have been able to leave it alone, and would have started dropping $$$ into it on modifications. The LS will get the windows tinted and the stereo updgraded, and that is it. It was the best decision for me. Wonder what Technics ended up doing???
Old 08-04-03, 07:25 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Glad to hear you went with a Lexus NiteOwl. Don't worry about being dissapointed. Enjoy it!
Old 08-04-03, 08:42 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by NiteOwl
Well I just bought a 96LS with 67k miles for $14k. Black Jade with Grey leather, loaded (exc Nak - Damn it!). Brand new Michelins, and passed the presale inspection at the dealership save for the need of a new battery and the high pressure power steering line. I decided against the Max because I know myself well enough to know that I would not have been able to leave it alone, and would have started dropping $$$ into it on modifications. The LS will get the windows tinted and the stereo updgraded, and that is it. It was the best decision for me. Wonder what Technics ended up doing???

96 and it already needs a new high pressure power steering hose!? say good bye to 400+$

Last edited by SDSC300; 08-04-03 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-04-03, 10:46 PM
UCI Jim
Driver School Candidate

No way is the 2000 Maxima faster than the sc300 5spd. A 2002 will destroy an SC, but the 2000 Max is rediculously slow. If your going to get a Maxima go for a 2002+ or 99-. Go to Maxima.org if you don't belive me. Ive had 2 Maxima's and now I have an sc300 5spd. Ive raced my buddy's 2000 Max auto and it was a joke.
Good luck
Old 08-04-03, 11:04 PM
LexFather

I love both cars. Maximas are awesome. But, my reasoning, one was built to the specifications of a 25k car, was was built as a 50k car new. Big difference.

Maximas are sweet, high quality interior, space for 4/5, good size trunk with after-market support. Remember IRL though, if handling is a concern.
Old 08-05-03, 08:06 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by UCI Jim
No way is the 2000 Maxima faster than the sc300 5spd. A 2002 will destroy an SC, but the 2000 Max is rediculously slow. If your going to get a Maxima go for a 2002+ or 99-. Go to Maxima.org if you don't belive me. Ive had 2 Maxima's and now I have an sc300 5spd. Ive raced my buddy's 2000 Max auto and it was a joke.
Good luck
In case anyone didn't see my post, I wound up buying an SC300 Here

In my opinion the 2000 Max 5spd would definitely beat the SC300 5spd but the refinement isn't there.

Quick Reply: 2000 Maxima SE 5spd Vs. Lex Sc300/400, which to buy?