SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Thinking of parting ways with my SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 04:09 PM
Niawst
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking of parting ways with my SC

I usually just read around the boards. Been working on this SC off and on for a few years, wanting to see if there's any interest from anyone.
Its a salvaged '97 5spd (of 120).
New motor from Aristo 2jzgte twin with ~40-60k miles
Hashimoto fans, some custom work just for the build.
Everything else is pretty much original and in good condition.
I also have an Auto Couture body kit for it, new organized garage status headlights, new set of fog lights.
Only the alternator needs replacing, and I have the alternator.

I'm just not sure what to do with it. Money is tight (just bought a new car) and need a computer for school. Kinda hard being in the Army Reserves, working mostly full time, and going to school. Just not sure where to go from here.
Old 07-11-17, 06:48 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I once had to part with a beloved car just before going to school. It was a very difficult decision. Personally it's one that I still regret but for me there were some very practical, logical and financial reasons for doing it.

A 97 5-speed, regardless of the salvage title (which could later be re-evaluated into "rebuilt" status) is always going to be a rare bird. I would first ask if the car is drivable as it is? Second is more important: do you enjoy the car? Truly, does it make you happy? Every old car regardless of what it is will have some quirks and at least a couple of TLC issues but beyond that, does it give you enjoyment and fun when you get behind the wheel?

It doesn't sound like it needs very much right now. Money being tight for school I can completely understand. I've been there before as have many of us and keeping in mind what will benefit you most to get through the next few years of study is really what I recommend as the most sound place to come from when making a decision of this nature.

My only pause would be if you truly enjoy the car and you are happy with what it is and what it does for your passion, don't let it go if you think you will regret it. Yes, there are other SC's out there you could get in the future but if there is sentimental attachment and/or it just DOES what you want from a favorite car... consider taking it off active insurance and garaging it for the time being if that may help matters... if a garage is available to you.

Now if it's really coming down to a choice between the SC300 not carrying that much personal meaning or sentimental value for you and getting a new computer for school... which is a current tool you need for your education and building for your future... then it may be the right decision to let it go.

When finances are very tight, tough decisions have to be made to keep moving forward.

I don't know if you have the choice available to you to decide whether or not to keep your SC300 or not in lieu of your needs for school but assuming you may have the luxury of being able to choose to keep it if you wanted to and get what you need for school, I would again ask how much you love the car?

No matter what you decide to do, always put yourself and your future first. It's important to do so.

While I admit that I still regret selling that car that I really loved many years ago before going to school and still would like to afford one like it again, I did get myself something kind of similar many years later and that is my SC300 5 speed. I still haven't given up on finding another car like the one I let go of but this one is very nice as well and to me gives me a lot of joy.

The point is, for each of us there is usually at least one car (it is usually one particular car) that was/is very special to us and that we'd prefer not to let go of. Sometimes life and circumstances intervene and it becomes hard to keep them. I don't feel the passion for that one special car ever leaves us but there is always the possibility of finding another one later or a model that, while totally different, resembles many of the same qualities and can show up later on to fill most of that space. It's better to be able to keep the original car if possible but only if that car is very special to you and if it doesn't become a financial albatross at a very crucial time.

At the end of the day, you must put you first and a big part of that is your time and focus and yes, finances, for your education and training for your future.

I know this post may sound a bit contradictory but truthfully that is why it is a difficult decision to make (IF the car is very special to you). It depends on how much financial leeway you have available.

Still, I very strongly emphasize: you first and school first. The rest is secondary. It may be worth it if you can swing it to store away a special car but not at the expense of that which will help you get ahead and succeed.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-11-17 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Niawst (07-17-17)
Old 07-11-17, 07:07 PM
KahnBB6

OP, if I've misunderstood your post and you've already more or less made your decision and wish to sell the car, you would then need to make a formal for sale post in the SC300/400 classifieds section.
Old 07-11-17, 09:41 PM
Bonapartis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clean five speed (or even clean auto) will only get rarer and more expensive. Every year more see the crusher, and owning a car for years makes it a known quantity and not a mystery like a new-to-you car would be. Just... Think hard before you do it. I think alot of us here have probably sold a car we'll always miss and regret, don't let this be yours. The SC300 5 speeds will appreciate $-wise, if not hugely so. If you have a place you can safely park it and keep it as a second car, and it is ONLY your second car, I would say keep that mother.

Also if your main concern is getting a new computer with the money then just ponder how cheap used computers are, and how capable somewhat older systems are. You don't need an Apple or some garbage like that which is both outdated hardware-wise and overpriced. What are you trying to do with your system exactly?

Last edited by Bonapartis; 07-11-17 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 09:35 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

:Understandable reasons for wanting to part, with your Sc. Include to all current owners parting reasons, of their Sc 300/400. The discontinuing of numerous parts to our aging Sc models.
Old 07-12-17, 10:07 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would keep it if I were you. I see so many guys in the same position sell their cars and greatly regret it shortly after. At the same time you have to do what's best for you.
Old 07-12-17, 10:29 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

It sounds like you have a reliable transportation to get to school and work (your new car). If you really like the SC, then you're going to regret selling it. a 97 5 speed is going to be hard to replace in the future. I'd sell the spare aftermarket parts to buy your computer and free up some cash. Change the alternator when you have a chance since you don't need the car everyday. Keep the car stock until you graduate and have more money.

Depending on what you're studying, most subjects don't require a computer to be excessively powerful and have amazing graphics. If it's just to take notes and do basic Microsoft office functions, you might even be able to get away with using a chromebook.
Old 07-12-17, 01:08 PM
KahnBB6

^^^ I would think very carefully about this before letting the SC go. The caveat if you do is that unlike some other classic cars it will not be easy to replace it in the future, let alone an original 1997 5-speed with a good 2JZGTE engine.

Originally Posted by Bonapartis
Also if your main concern is getting a new computer with the money then just ponder how cheap used computers are, and how capable somewhat older systems are. You don't need an Apple or some garbage like that which is both outdated hardware-wise and overpriced. What are you trying to do with your system exactly?
Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Depending on what you're studying, most subjects don't require a computer to be excessively powerful and have amazing graphics. If it's just to take notes and do basic Microsoft office functions, you might even be able to get away with using a chromebook.
^^ This I also agree with. A brand new computer is always nice but often it is not necessary for all but the most demanding applications. And even then you don't need a top of the line machine for that.

What subject are you studying that requires a lot of CPU and memory horsepower? Apple laptops are very good and reliable but are often not given the most most state of the art CPU's, memory and graphics. Very good deal if you can get one refurbished or special ordered at a good price that isn't their top of the line fully loaded 15" Pro model (which is still very good but very expensive). There are also many, many PC laptops that are not as expensive that will do just as well or better on specs compared to an equivalent Apple, price for price. Personally I don't replace my computers very often and for heavy lifting I have a desktop system that I can upgrade as I need to.

Older systems are often still very capable and usually have some upgrade options to bring their performance up to a modern standard. Upgrading your memory and replacing a spinning hard drive with an SSD drive for instance (I recommend Samsung SSD's for PC's) will do wonders for an older system. If conservatively sized at around 256GB or 512GB they will cost far less than buying an entirely new computer as of 2017. External storage with much more affordable and higher capacity spinning hard drives can do the rest.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-12-17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 07:27 AM
Niawst
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really appreciate all the responses. After a week of thinking and everything, I think I want to finish my project. I really love the car and always have and love it more that I've built it.
I've struggled before and the loss of the car wouldn't be worth it in the long run.
Besides my new car is a Kia Niro for a dd (50mpg ) and I guess I can use a computer anywhere. Mostly I do play games on PC and wanted to build a PC, guess I should finish building my car before starting a new project.

Although I don't usually post, I really like the community here in reading and now getting sincere responses feels good.

Last edited by Niawst; 07-17-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 01:50 PM
KahnBB6

Sounds like a good plan, Niawst!

It is definitely much more difficult to let go of and then replace a special older car (due to its rarity, rare parts modifications or the lack of availability of some original replacement parts) than it is to build yourself a fairly up to date and powerful custom PC or just upgrade an existing one. Unless you're into vintage computer restoration (which is usually still far more affordable than the automotive hobby) current custom PC parts and newer laptops will always be available whenever you are ready to tackle some upgrades to your computer hardware.

That being said, hang onto your SC and focus on you!

And aside, since you're planning to keep the car I would recommend looking into what will be required to convert your title status to "Rebuilt". That would be a good long term goal for such a rare model in addition to finishing your build.
Old 07-17-17, 10:37 PM
ar3
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Niawst
I really appreciate all the responses. After a week of thinking and everything, I think I want to finish my project. I really love the car and always have and love it more that I've built it.
I've struggled before and the loss of the car wouldn't be worth it in the long run.
Besides my new car is a Kia Niro for a dd (50mpg ) and I guess I can use a computer anywhere. Mostly I do play games on PC and wanted to build a PC, guess I should finish building my car before starting a new project.

Although I don't usually post, I really like the community here in reading and now getting sincere responses feels good.
Hey man if you can join the FB group, "Lexus SC300/400 mods" if you need some motivation to continue to build your SC. I have a salvaged 1/120 myself and thought about selling it too but after putting so much work to it (full AC kit, suspension, etc) I decided to just keep it and hold on to it. Later on as much SC's get wrecked or parted, it'll be worth more, I hope. That's my plan.
Old 07-19-17, 12:53 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Niawst

There's not a lot of us left these days, but I've had my SC for almost 2 decades now. Sure, I've contemplated selling it and have had some serious offers as well. Never went any further than that for me though. I kept mine as I went through college/graduate school, and while raising children. There have been years where I barely put 1k on it. Should I have sold it, sure the extra money would have been handy. Could I have bought a Supra TT(or something else)? I know I could have. Although, I chose the SC for personal preferences and know I would miss mine and even regret selling it.

There are many people that sell their cars when they get tired of it, and those that hang on to their car for as long as possible. There are a handful who have had there's since brand new too (i.e. Duck05, Barbary), some even have more than two SCs (i.e. Gerrb).

Very rare I see an SC out on the daily commute. At this point, most SC's are projects, stored gems, or junkers. For me personally, I am an SC enthusiast and love mine. I am glad you made the decision to hang on to yours. One step at a time, install that kit and OG headlights (jealous..lol). Swap the GTE motor in and drive it!
Old 07-20-17, 04:51 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I'm really curious who will still be around when I get to say I've owned my car for 2 decades.

It'll be 10 years for me in January 2018. I foolishly spent all my money and bought it from a dealership when I was in community college. I thought about selling it within the 1st year of ownership because I quickly realized the amount of money it would cost for me to build the car I wanted. I put the car up for sale, and I found a buyer that was ready to pay my asking price, but at the last minute I backed out of the deal. I don't remember my reasoning for backing out at the time, but I'm glad I kept the car. I've made some of my closest friends because of the car, and through them I've gotten to be part of some pretty awesome car builds. I've driven all kinds of modified cars and insanely fast stock cars, but there is still nothing like getting behind the wheel of my SC. My car is by no means fast, but it is uniquely mine. It always brings a smile to my face every time I'm behind the wheel (until I get to a ****ty road and the car starts getting really rough).

Just remember what your ultimate goal is for your car and slowly work towards it. It's taken me almost 10 years to get my car to where it's at, and it'll probably take me another 5 years to get the drive train I want. Building a car isn't worth going into debt for. Focus on what's the most important thing in your life in the moment, and build the car when you have the chance to.
Old 07-20-17, 06:39 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP - keep building it slowly so as not to break the bank. SCs anyway do not have a good market especially your 1 of 120 I believe has a salvage title. All the more it will be tough to sell . I have a couple of 1 of 120 and selling (best offer) / trading a stock one now . It only has 115k miles and only thing it needs is a paint job and all I get are tire kickers or those who want to trade an older GS or Honda.

I will probably loose all my MKIVs and will still have one or two SCs. I can't see myself not having an SC. Ultimate sleeper for me. My vacation and being far away from my toys had brought me to my senses though... time to start playing and less wrenching that's why I am winding down to two or three SCs from six. But the remaining ones will be the ultimate sleepers that will hurt a lot of feelings on the road
Old 07-20-17, 06:59 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by aswang
some even have more than two SCs (i.e. Gerrb).
Cause it brings a smile on my face when I see newer and expensive cars not being able to catch up with me .

how is it going my friend ...how is that 6speed boosted SC treating you ?

Last edited by gerrb; 07-20-17 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of parting ways with my SC