SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New SC400 owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 10:44 AM
Tubbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC400 owner questions

I recently bought a Sc400 and i have some questions.
It came radio-less but there is a new wiring harness but I don't know whats compatibly with the Nakamichi sound system in the car. Can you tell me what to put in cause all the threads have a replacement for the pioneer system.
Also the guy who had it before had been putting in regular gas instead of premium, should I just put premium in next time or do I have to drain the gas?
Old 05-02-17, 05:42 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Radio I can't help with.
Chances are the PO has run regular for a long time not just one tank. It won't hurt it but you will be down a fuzz on power, usually the premium only recommendations are because the power will be down on regular since the knock sensors pick up knock and dial back timing a bit. Don't be afraid to drive it just fill with premium or top it off from partial if you are really paranoid. My mom drives a Grand Prix GTX with the LS4 and it says premium only and I don't think she has ever run premium in it
Old 05-02-17, 07:54 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Aside from trying to look it up using the vehicles vin number, to check your radio i would suggest getting access to one of the speakers. the once in the back might be the easiest as im pretty sure you just need to remove the trunk lining to see the backs of it. If its a nakamichi sound system you will see NAK written on the back on the speaker where the magnet is. Keep in mind that the only reason to remove the radio is if you plan to put an aftermarket unit in so make sure that the previous owner didnt hack up the harness when he was installing what i presume to be an aftermarket unit. The proper way would be to use an adapter, make sure he did that. If not youll need to either source yourself the plug that attaches to that harness and crimp/solder it into place or youll need to splice the existing wiring into the head unit (wouldn't recommend it). There is a less exact method of figuring out which sound system you had if the plugs from the original headunit are still there but there is alot of guesswork that goes into it and id personally stick to one of the other two methods.

Good luck and post pics of the car
Old 05-03-17, 05:34 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

For the pioneer system, your work cut out for you, what you'll need to do is run all your 4 speaker wires from your aftermarket radio to the right side of the trunk, ( the power wire, remote, ground, antenna wires you'll wire behind the radio.
Those 4 speaker wires will have to be spliced into the plug that is going to your factory amplifier (you will have to delete the factory amp and your cd changer that's in your trunk) the splicing you'll be doing will is basically making the front door speakers and the rear deck speakers wired will make work without you having to run each individual wire from your stereo to speakers. I do t know if the NAKAMICHI wiring is the same as none nak, I can take a pic of my splicing for you so you can see the colors wires need splicing to make your life a little easier
Edited from here:
What I did first was, hooked up the power, ground, antenna, remote behind the radio, turn the acc on to where the radio comes on, then test 8 speaker wires that you ran to the trunk and hook those up by listening to which speaker plays rears or fronts lefts and rights

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 05-03-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 09:47 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Or if you have the Pioneer system, you could run this and use the factory amp; drastically cutting down on the amount of wiring required
BEST KITS BHA8112