SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buyers Beware Akina Motorsportz Review Transmission adapter kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 05:23 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buyers Beware Akina Motorsportz Review Transmission adapter kits

Ok so this is essentially a review for Akina Motorsportz R154 1UZ adapter kit since I was the first person to apparently try to use it, this KIT does NOT work they have it advertised as R154 kit, it is made for the R150 and R151 it uses a pilot bearing ADAPTER that is machined and a very lousy design as it does not sit inside the bearing properly, they have also taken the liberty of removing ALL labels on the parts so you have no IDEA what brand or part number they are in case you need a replacement, the flywheel also weighs MORE than the torque converter. When I called to ask how to install the kit properly I got advice from the SALES person to which later he admitted he was not a tech, then the REAL tech admitted I had gotten a warped part to try and make up for their mistake, the R150 input shaft is shorter than the R154 and it will bottom out on the adapter. I went through a lot of hassle for nothing, they ultimately gave my money back after months of trying to get everything together, so final conclusion STAY AWAY FROM AKINA PRODUCTS they are poorly machined parts that are basically replicas of the kit in TAIWAN and they know little to nothing about them Im assuming they are just reselling the Taiwan product, so buyer beware do no use Akina products.
Old 03-06-17, 08:22 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard or came across this company or their products until now actually but in terms of 1UZ to R154 hardware support, I know Xcessive manufacturing has a "trans adapter" but not much else, but I'd definitely look into them, their for sure a reputable company. Otherwise, 1uz trans options that're best supported are the CD009 and Nissan KA trans by Collins. This is a build thread with their stuff in use; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-warrior.html
And This car used the CD009 Collins Kit (CL Doesn't permit outsider links)
Old 03-07-17, 07:17 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Not gonna comment.

All you need to do is stick with reputable companies that have been proven for their adapter kits
The following users liked this post:
4U2QUIK (09-29-21)
Old 03-07-17, 03:56 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Youve already commented, and yes I already had a Nissan tranny in my SC400 and it was fun but the clutch setup was whack and the adapter stuff collins makes is less than satisfactory, not to mention the service I got from them was not great IMO, I am Driving my SC400 now with the R154 in it, the CD009 requires you bash your tunnel to hell to make it fit, yeah I know thats Seans SC400 he lives 3.5 hours south of me Im aware of his setup people im not a freaking newby. but Thanks as of right now Xcessive is a reputable company to me Collins is NOT but thats my opinion after dealing with their products
Old 03-07-17, 04:00 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The 1uz doesnt have many options....so you are in a difficult place

I dont like any of the kits that are offered for the CD009.....I would never go that route after researching it and getting feedback from other people who did not like it one bit.

Thats why I made the decision to do the t56 swap instead. Direct bolt on no modification needed.
Old 03-07-17, 04:53 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

What do you mean T56 swap being bolt on? I made the thread to warn others of this fault (not much of a debate on that) they made on their website and that the company was a little strange, I did not know of the complications and some of the smaller parts till the kit arrived and they gave me WRONG directions and they actually updated the website after I called to complain then later re instated the directions where on the website when indeed they WERE not when I installed it, so this was WARNING to others looking at the kit so they don't go through the same mess because 1UZ has some BS kits out their, I have had FOUR different 1UZ manual adapter kits thus far hoping this one on the R154 is a keeper but only time will tell.
Old 03-07-17, 04:57 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
The 1uz doesnt have many options....so you are in a difficult place

I dont like any of the kits that are offered for the CD009.....I would never go that route after researching it and getting feedback from other people who did not like it one bit.

Thats why I made the decision to do the t56 swap instead. Direct bolt on no modification needed.
and yes their was a couple things I did not like about the Nissan kits collins offers, the more parts I can get at a regular auto store the better, I don't want to be relying on a company like Collins if something breaks, I had to wait almost 3 weeks for their pilot bearing adapter and when I called who ever answered the phone said they would just drop it off if they were in the area for a drift event, so I will never use collins again, I will consider the CD009 if somebody ELSE makes a better kit for it using the stock auto bellhousing and not the oversize nissan one
Old 03-07-17, 05:42 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

I just checked your build thread you have JZ motor I have UZ motor they dont make that adapter for the 1UZ motors but that is a good option for JZ motors better than the Nissan kit LOL
Old 03-07-17, 06:50 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I for one applaud those willing to test the waters and report their experience. M/T options on this platform are limited enough from the factory. We need all the aftermarket information we can get.
Old 03-07-17, 07:29 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCFactory
Youve already commented, and yes I already had a Nissan tranny in my SC400 and it was fun but the clutch setup was whack and the adapter stuff collins makes is less than satisfactory, not to mention the service I got from them was not great IMO, I am Driving my SC400 now with the R154 in it, the CD009 requires you bash your tunnel to hell to make it fit, yeah I know thats Seans SC400 he lives 3.5 hours south of me Im aware of his setup people im not a freaking newby. but Thanks as of right now Xcessive is a reputable company to me Collins is NOT but thats my opinion after dealing with their products
Apologies if I implied that you're newby, completely didn't think that,
But anyways I knew the CD009 was large but didn't know that it'd require that much work just to get it into the tunnel...honestly not sure now which trans to go with now;
  • R154 kits are a little rare and the trans isn't that cheap in my area
  • The KA 5 Speed is little weak but fits pretty well...
  • W58 also weak, with undesirable highway gearing
  • V160, too expensive
  • But CD009 handles quite some power and can be had for less than r154 and W58...
Old 03-07-17, 10:35 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

That's a bummer you went through this, but I remember seeing a Facebook post about this about a year ago, and it showed the low quality cast of the bellhousing. I myself have the quantum-auto r154 kit, but the next best option is 1uzfeswapkit.com or something like that. He has a lot of posts on lextreme and was 1 of the first few to accomplish having the adapter machined out to work with 1uz bellhousing. I personally would go with 1uzfeswapkit.com because I have communicated with him on lextreme and emails
goodluck
Old 03-08-17, 09:32 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJ
Apologies if I implied that you're newby, completely didn't think that,
But anyways I knew the CD009 was large but didn't know that it'd require that much work just to get it into the tunnel...honestly not sure now which trans to go with now;
  • R154 kits are a little rare and the trans isn't that cheap in my area
  • The KA 5 Speed is little weak but fits pretty well...
  • W58 also weak, with undesirable highway gearing
  • V160, too expensive
  • But CD009 handles quite some power and can be had for less than r154 and W58...
The R154 & W58 have identical gearing. That's not a great bullet point for your argument.

Quite frankly, an R154 all said and done, is still cheaper then a CD009.
Old 03-11-17, 01:35 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Thanks for replies guys its good for people to talk about so more can have the info, yes I did go through some trouble but just wanted to clarify that I know what I'm talking about so we don't waste time posting about already known options for the 1UZ, in my opinion the W58 is the best option bang for the buck, remember that transmission is fine till about 350hp and I know people pushing more for longer, the CD009 may only be worth it if you are trying tp push bigger power because you have to change your differential as well to match it and that is another adding cost, I would have gone W58 but I had the R154 already from a trade, the KA is a good option but I did not like that I was not able to get replacement parts without contacting collins, same goes for CD009. Charley240 do you have pictures of the Quantuam auto kit, I believe I had one for my W58 it had a flywheel you could use W58 pressure plates on which was really nice
Old 04-11-21, 06:33 AM
SC400R1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Akina Motorsportz Review

I wish I had found this thread before I ordered an adapter bell housing from Akina. To be fair to them, I never actually installed the bell housing. It is possible that it would have worked just fine. But as soon as I removed it from the package I honestly started laughing, because I thought I was being pranked. The belhousing looked as though it had been cast from something a child made out of Silly Putty. There were cuts and grinds all over it, and the majority of it was painted black to try to hide all the imperfections. Neither end was smooth enough to make me think that I was going to mount flush and the arch at the top didn't even look like it would clear the starter. I wasn't willing to go through the trouble of installing it or risk damaging my transmission. I had to pay to send it back, they did refund me, but deducted their cost to ship it to me, which totaled a little over $170.
That was a very expensive lesson learned.

I Have used Bullet car in Australia in the past, their products are amazing, look like OEM parts. Their communication is just about the worst ive ever seen from a company, they take anywhere from 3 day to 2 weeks just to respond to an email, Shipping is obviously expensive and takes a long time as well. However I've had great experiences with their actual product, they are as OEM quality as you can get.
The following users liked this post:
4U2QUIK (09-29-21)