SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Optima Battery in an SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 08:46 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Battery in an SC

Well I just need to make sure before I purchase one, Will an optima battery fit in the stock location? Its either going to be Red or Yellow, I think the Yellow top is a bit bigger. I was at my local Costco today, and they have the red top for $99, But in their manual it says Optima's dont fit in our SC's.
Old 05-22-03, 02:48 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Moving this to SC forum so the thread gets some replys. Move it back later if you like.
Old 05-22-03, 04:23 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The optima will fit your SC. You will find that it is much smaller that the original battery holder, so you might have to provide a new way to secure it down. I just used one from pep boys for a couple bucks. Hope it works out.

gadgetSC-t
Old 05-22-03, 05:48 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Yellow Optima's are "deep cycle" if memory serves me right. So if you don't know what that means, look into it, because the maintaince is different on them compared to a standard battery. Hint: the name alone gives it away.

I have seen both (red/yellow) in an SC before (or at least over the internet). They will fit, but the electrcal demands are huge on our cars, and a standard, correct fitting battery might be just as good if not better, as the Optimas will more than likely be overstressed or worked outside their intended parameters. Don't buy an Optima just to rice out your stereo. Do your homework first.

Another bit of advice - "deep cycles" make superior second batteries, but not so good (if not terrible) primary batteries. Run an isolator off the stock system, and get a yellow top in the trunk for best results.

Just my recommendation - (take it or leave it, as I won't be offended.)
Old 05-22-03, 05:53 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by retrodrive
Moving this to SC forum so the thread gets some replys. Move it back later if you like.
Hypocrisy is a wonderful thing!

(inside joke, that only a few will understand)

Thanks for moving it to a high traffic forum.
Old 05-22-03, 07:21 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Well my system will be installed next week. 2800+ Total watts should require a better battery. I think im going to go redtop under the hood, and a yellow top in the trunk. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-22-03, 12:23 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Keith13b
Hypocrisy is a wonderful thing!

(inside joke, that only a few will understand)

Thanks for moving it to a high traffic forum.
Hehe, thats funny kieth

I have a yellow top in my 5 speed. I love it. I never have to worry about water levels and I can run my stereo for hours or leave the dome light on overnight without even a hesitation in starting the next morning.
I got mine for $159 from pep boys. If you have access to a military base or a firend in the military, the automotive center at the shoppette sells them for $139 with no tax (I wish I had known when I bought mine). I also bought a hard to find adapter (yallow in color) that will either mount to the top or bottom of the battery for extra height. With the adapter,my battery is less wide than stock, but high enough to use the stock clamp and have it be secure.
Use your own judgement, but personally I wouldn't buy two seperate batteries. My single yellow top does the job just fine and there's less weight.
ps- I also have 30 amp draw dual electric fans that run about 95% of the time.

Tim
Old 05-22-03, 12:31 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

I've got an optima orange top. I had to put a piece of 2x4 underneath to level it up. I just did it until i install the battery relocation kit to the trunk.
Old 05-22-03, 01:21 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

I have a red top in my SC the factory tie downs work fine.
Old 05-22-03, 02:30 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Optima is just a name brand

I go to kragen, and they laugh about people who pay for the optima batteries...

Optima's are just rebadged versions of the generic EXIDE battery that kragen offers and they just charge more for it. If you look at the OPTIMA size battery..and look at the EXIDE ones..u can notice the rebadging and the sizable price difference. The optima is not a better battery..it doesn't last longer or work harder. It's just a rebadged item. And yet people still want to pay more.

I got the generic Kragen Exide one and it works fine, plus I have a 6 month warranty...which I fully exercise...=)
Old 05-22-03, 10:16 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either type will work FINE as for everyday driving/high end stereo usage, but watch it if you have a beater and dont drive the SC much, then you might run into trouble, try supraforums and do a search on it, you will find plenty of info about it..
Old 05-23-03, 03:00 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Din
I have a red top in my SC the factory tie downs work fine.
Old 05-24-03, 10:54 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question "battery relocation kit" ?

VS- that sounds like a good mod- is that "kit" generic or is it customized for the SC?
Where in the trunk does the battery end up?
Does it effect the handling?
Does it make such a difference that the headlights have to be re-aimed?
I've already run a 4 gauge cable from front to rear to power my amp- I wonder is that is big enough to use for a rear-battery setup.

Anthracite -I like the way you think! It's tips like that that keep me coming back to this forum!

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 05-24-03 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-24-03, 02:10 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: "battery relocation kit" ?

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
VS- that sounds like a good mod- is that "kit" generic or is it customized for the SC?
Where in the trunk does the battery end up?
Does it effect the handling?
Does it make such a difference that the headlights have to be re-aimed?
I've already run a 4 gauge cable from front to rear to power my amp- I wonder is that is big enough to use for a rear-battery setup.

Anthracite -I like the way you think! It's tips like that that keep me coming back to this forum!
Its a universal kit. Silver aluminum battery box from summit-racing
4gauge is not good.. need to use 0 gauge.
I don't know how it would change handling.... but taking 35lbs from the front and putting it in the back should give you 70lb's of weight transfer to the back so i think you will have better traction.
I don't think you will have to re-aim the headlights..
it will end up in the stock amp location. I don't use it anyways. Drill 4 holes in the aftermaket box and mount it to where the stock amp would be. then the rest should be cool with the stuff included in the kit like the strap to strap down the battery. You should use something like optima so there is no gas from the battery fuming up your trunk.
will be installed in like 3 weeks. I'll post pics if I can.
Old 05-24-03, 03:29 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Optima is just a name brand

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
I go to kragen, and they laugh about people who pay for the optima batteries...

Optima's are just rebadged versions of the generic EXIDE battery that kragen offers

Dude, it is NOT the same, just had a meeting with the Optima rep and he was laughing about the ppl who buy the copies and think they're getting the same thing, how's that for you?

Quick Reply: Optima Battery in an SC