SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hyper White light guages with the sc400 speedo

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 06:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

The white face guages have been tested and are done! here's a sample. I'm going to warn anyone ahead of time that wants to try this conversion, it's 70 bucks in just led's. there aren't many, but they are EXPENSIVE. So be prepared before you go hacking your cluster up.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...3879white2.jpg
Old 05-20-03, 08:18 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by onelasttry
Here guy's, I'm, goin to let you make your own mind up. on the left is the old led's full on, on the right is the new led's full on. the new one's are much brighter if i don't back them down. I took them down in the first pic two posts up with 470 ohms. that seems to be about right. The led will burn safely full on for about 4 yearsfull on, i estimate, but that is tops. i prefer to back them down and get a decade out of them. the pic below is wide open after the initial restrictions they both call for. (200 ohms minimum.)

Hey One,

Could you get 3 pics all with the same background? 1 of the stock full on, 1 of yours full on, and 1 the way you like it. You could even enable voting and see what the people have to say.

Amazing stuff you're doing, keep up the great work.

Overclocker
Old 05-21-03, 05:42 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The project is really coming together. Looking awesome tho. Maybe you can just repair or upgrade everyones dash.
Old 05-21-03, 09:15 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Do you have to step down the voltage at the console circuit with a resistor to bring down the brightness? What shape are the LEDs, tubes or cylinders? Are they the standard size or did you have to get miniature LEDs?
Old 05-21-03, 02:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Could you get 3 pics all with the same background?
Not considering their size, your welcome to try.

Do you have to step down the voltage at the console circuit with a resistor to bring down the brightness? What shape are the LEDs, tubes or cylinders? Are they the standard size or did you have to get miniature LEDs?
I don't HAVE to, but long life is a good thing the LED's are cylinder shape 5mm width, I have to custom dremel carve each LED into the needle. Since this is an 1100 mcd led (one of the brightest made) it has to be 5mm. They do not fit at all. they must be hand carved into everything at about 6 hours each including finshing time for blacking out the rear of the needle when done. Then the board must be rewired to accept the new LED's. Not a fun thing at all. the project takes 3 to 6 days depending on how it comes together. The cost of doing it is 1/5th the price of cathodes though and will last almost a decade.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 05-21-03 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-21-03, 08:59 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Couple more questions. Are the LEDs the proper weight so that the speedo doesn't need to be recalibrated? As for the needle with 9 LEDs, which needle is it? How many LEDs total? What type of rewiring did you have to do? What's the rating on the resistors that you used?

*too many question. Brian you are THE MAN!

Last edited by siniquezu; 05-21-03 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-21-03, 09:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

BLUE ON WHITE IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...lueonwhite.jpg
Old 05-21-03, 09:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Are the LEDs the proper weight so that the speedo doesn't need to be recalibrated? As for the needle with 9 LEDs, which needle is it? How many LEDs total? What type of rewiring did you have to do? What's the rating on the resistors that you used?
A) They are extremely close to weight. I am predicting no unexpected calibration problems due to the weight match.

B) LED count is: 9 in the small needles, 18 in the two large one's.

C) I have made voltage adjustments.

D) 270 ohms.

I have spent almost two days carving the coolant needle. They are one shot high output lasar led's so they focus on one area only. . The is no way someone could sit through this just for the fun of it, i'm finishing this cluster for Enzo, who posted earlier in this thread. This will take two days @ 6 hours each day for each needle. Gruelling, but hey.. look at the last pic, it's worth it

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-05-07 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-22-03, 10:16 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Did you have to custom dremel the cluster LEDs as well as the needle LEDs? How many LEDs are there on the cluster? If you were to carve the LEDs into the inverted test-tube shape, the light should distribute itself more uniformly as compared to the cylindrical shape because it will not have any nonplanar surfaces. That way, you don't have the focused laser beam. Wouldn't the foil add weight to the needle?
Old 05-22-03, 11:30 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I noticed that the backlight LEDs light up all the indicator faces too. How do you plan to work around that?
Old 05-22-03, 11:51 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian...Looks AWESOME!!! GREAT WORK...Good luck with it...

Once your done with the project...I wouldn't mind pulling out my whole instrumental unit, headunit and AC unit for you to do also...

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 05-22-03 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-23-03, 12:50 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - this is amazing stuff - the bar is once again raised! If only it were less labor intensive - then it could be a sensible business. I would convert to blue ... but the cost would be huge if it is this manual. If anyone can figure out a way for the masses to do it, it will be onelasttry.

Go Onelasttry Go!
Old 05-23-03, 08:36 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I noticed that the backlight LEDs light up all the indicator faces too. How do you plan to work around that?

no, they don't have any backlight to them at all. the needle color only shines in the needle. it does not produce any light outside the needle at all.
Old 05-23-03, 12:35 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I'm referring to the white LEDs that backlight the gauge faces. They illuminate the oil level indicator, hand brake indicator, etc, as well as the gauge faces.
Old 05-23-03, 01:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

OH i see what you are referring to. Again though, there is no overspill at all. the reason why you see it that way is because the face was standing alone, there was no back plate to it. the backplate houses the seperators and colored lenses. I gotcha now I was assuming you were referring to the needles. No, no overhang at all. Clean as a pin.

Quick Reply: Hyper White light guages with the sc400 speedo