SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'97+ Taillight cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 12:18 PM
SMWallis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97+ Taillight cleaning

It is time to change the color of my taillight backup lenses from brownish yellow back to factory clear.

From the outside the backup lenses look cloudy but no apparent moisture. I've looked at the diy files regarding baking to open them up same as the headlights, but can't find a diy regarding this specific issue.

Question: after baking will the passenger side lamp come apart or do I need to do something different about where the key lock tunnel parts meet?

Question: what causes the discoloration? Is there a reflector in there like the headlights, or is it just dirt?

TIA
Old 11-04-15, 12:30 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Good day SMWallis!

The plastic itself fades its transparency or darkens in time. Personally, I have a 97+ tail lights, that was bought brand new 2 years ago and modified before anything else. Currently the reverse light looks brownish or darker yellow now. The plastic itself is beige-ish to begin with when it was brand new out of the tail light assembly.

The tail lights are the hardest to take apart out of all lighting parts. Especially the passenger. The light diffusers were put in before theater half of the key hole was glued on. This makes the diffuser lock itself in place, specifically the reverse lens. There's an old thread that details how to take apart. Others will say to snap off the other half of the key hole either by force or with tools, then just gluing it back on later on. And another way, which we do, is to snap off the piece of plastic that wraps around the key hole and forcing the reverse lens diffuser to slide off. All the damage will be done in the inner part of the tail lights, so nothing will be seen once everything is put back together.

Please let us know if we can be of any help to your project. Thank you!
Old 11-05-15, 01:21 AM
SMWallis
Driver School Candidate

Good to know about the original color. Sounds like I need to be very careful. Tks.

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
Good day SMWallis!

The plastic itself fades its transparency or darkens in time. Personally, I have a 97+ tail lights, that was bought brand new 2 years ago and modified before anything else. Currently the reverse light looks brownish or darker yellow now. The plastic itself is beige-ish to begin with when it was brand new out of the tail light assembly.

The tail lights are the hardest to take apart out of all lighting parts. Especially the passenger. The light diffusers were put in before theater half of the key hole was glued on. This makes the diffuser lock itself in place, specifically the reverse lens. There's an old thread that details how to take apart. Others will say to snap off the other half of the key hole either by force or with tools, then just gluing it back on later on. And another way, which we do, is to snap off the piece of plastic that wraps around the key hole and forcing the reverse lens diffuser to slide off. All the damage will be done in the inner part of the tail lights, so nothing will be seen once everything is put back together.

Please let us know if we can be of any help to your project. Thank you!
Old 11-06-15, 09:52 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-lights-2.html
Old 11-06-15, 01:58 PM
SMWallis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hil
Fantastic! Just what I was looking for and couldn't find. Am I the only one that has problems with the site's search engine? Anyway, 'preciate it, as we say in NC.
Old 11-07-15, 02:09 PM
howie954
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

u sure its the inside that's cloudy not the outside? the outside can be wetsanded and buffed with compound. No need to take them apart