SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My black plastic radiator fan shroud cracked and finally broke apart. Need Part #

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 05:52 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My black plastic radiator fan shroud cracked and finally broke apart. Need Part #

I have a 1998 SC300. Today the black plastic radiator fan shroud cracked and finally broke apart.

This is that big plastic shield that you see when you open the hood, that fits over the top of the radiator fan so you don't get your fingers chopped off. I need to replace this, and I searched through my entire 4037 page SC300 Service manual, but it does not mention any part for it, and in fact only mentions this shroud in a couple of places related to replacing the radiator.

Does anyone know a part number for this? Sure don't want to go through Lexus, I'm sure they will charge $400 or more for this part. Every part on my car seems to be Lexus only with little aftermarket replacement cross references.

Maybe I can check junkyards and ebay, but would be nice to have the actual part number.
Old 09-27-15, 01:15 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

See if this is the one you are referring....

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...671146050.html

(oops.... corrected)....

Last edited by Duck05; 09-27-15 at 12:32 PM. Reason: wrong link for part.... corrected...
Old 09-27-15, 06:30 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd check with member here Aliga first. He has almost every SC part known to man at discount prices. A solid, used one will last the rest of the life of the car most likely. He has threads in classifieds.

The above link is an SC400. He needs a Sc300 shroud.
Old 09-27-15, 12:34 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

yeah.... The site filters mislead me.... Corrected to the SC300 part....
Old 09-27-15, 12:47 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 09-27-15, 02:27 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

if you can't find a used one , call elmhurst toyota in IL .. ask for the shroud of a supra mkiv NA (2jzge) .... Toyota parts are a lot cheaper than Lexus parts even if they are exactly the same. It should be half the price on that link from the previous post.
Old 09-27-15, 03:13 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
if you can't find a used one , call elmhurst toyota in IL .. ask for the shroud of a supra mkiv NA (2jzge) .... Toyota parts are a lot cheaper than Lexus parts even if they are exactly the same. It should be half the price on that link from the previous post.

Dude,

I'm not one hundred percent sure but I believe the Supra shroud is a bit different than the SC300 version. I recall reading a couple of threads on Club Lexus that they are not identical. I wish I knew for sure.

Old 09-27-15, 03:32 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

I'm not one hundred percent sure but I believe the Supra shroud is a bit different than the SC300 version. I recall reading a couple of threads on Club Lexus that they are not identical. I wish I knew for sure

Lmaol , have you seen the MKIV 2jzge NA Shroud ? Part numbers are different because one is a Lexus and one is a Toyota.

Trust me, you can interchange the sc300 and the MKIV NA shrouds ... I have 5 MKIV Supra and 4 Lexus SC right now ... so i know . In fact the shroud I am using on my Red Mamba Two and the Old Man's Tan are from the Supra MKIV. Reason why you can interchange them is because they have exactly the same 2JZGE short block with exactly the same clutch fan assembly , radiator and lower chassis.

What is different is the one from the Supra MKIV Twin Turbo. They have a different shroud and radiator . They have an electric helper fan and radiator is a bit thicker.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-27-15 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-27-15, 04:25 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys you gave me some good leads, and I'll investigate the Supra shroud as well, and the classifieds section here on Club Lexus.
Old 09-27-15, 05:43 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Lmaol , have you seen the MKIV 2jzge NA Shroud ? Part numbers are different because one is a Lexus and one is a Toyota.

Trust me, you can interchange the sc300 and the MKIV NA shrouds ... I have 5 MKIV Supra and 4 Lexus SC right now ... so i know . In fact the shroud I am using on my Red Mamba Two and the Old Man's Tan are from the Supra MKIV. Reason why you can interchange them is because they have exactly the same 2JZGE short block with exactly the same clutch fan assembly , radiator and lower chassis.

What is different is the one from the Supra MKIV Twin Turbo. They have a different shroud and radiator . They have an electric helper fan and radiator is a bit thicker.

Dude,

Is this the correct Supra, and by extension, SC300 fan shroud?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-OEM-9...-/331418125812

Last edited by freakness; 09-27-15 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 03:22 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

not too sure of part number right now but the picture in your link shows a TT shroud with a hole for the helper fan. If you are planning to install a helper fan it will also work but a little bit of work is needed since not all bolt screws line up properly but nothing a little work can't handle.

Please note to all that a supra mkiv fan shroud is around $80 . Depending on what radiator you use, one or two bolts will not line up but with a little ingenuity , you should be able to use them on your SC at half the cost of the Lexus fan shroud. I both have a MKIV NA and MKIV TT shroud being used on my SCs with SC radiators. Just need a little ingenuity to take care of one or two bolts that doesnt perfectly line up for those who are so **** about having a perfect lining up of every bolt hole.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-28-15 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-28-15, 07:02 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't used one for over two years. It won't harm anything if you drive without it for a while.
Old 09-28-15, 08:19 AM
freakness
Pole Position

not too sure of part number right now but the picture in your link shows a TT shroud with a hole for the helper fan. If you are planning to install a helper fan it will also work but a little bit of work is needed since not all bolt screws line up properly but nothing a little work can't handle.

Please note to all that a supra mkiv fan shroud is around $80 . Depending on what radiator you use, one or two bolts will not line up but with a little ingenuity , you should be able to use them on your SC at half the cost of the Lexus fan shroud. I both have a MKIV NA and MKIV TT shroud being used on my SCs with SC radiators. Just need a little ingenuity to take care of one or two bolts that doesnt perfectly line up for those who are so **** about having a perfect lining up of every bolt hole.

Dude,

Any pictures of your modified Supra fan shroud mounted to an SC300 radiator, specifically the misaligned mounting tabs?

Thanks...

Old 09-28-15, 10:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Check my build thread .. Red Mamba Two has a MKIV NA shroud with an SC radiator and the Old Man's Tan has a MKIV TT shroud with an SC radiator
Old 09-28-15, 10:33 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Check my build thread .. Red Mamba Two has a MKIV NA shroud with an SC radiator and the Old Man's Tan has a MKIV TT shroud with an SC radiator

Dude,

Links?

- Thanks

Quick Reply: My black plastic radiator fan shroud cracked and finally broke apart. Need Part #