SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

paint and body guys advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 04:10 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint and body guys advice needed

alright so long story short i did some work for a guy during the winter and we agreed as payment he would paint my car if i bought the paint well im looking to get her painted here soon but wanted some advice on which brand paint and which is a higher quality and which are brands i should avoid
i was planning on buying just the base color ( RSP or the ISF blue havent decided ) and the clear
and whatever other thinners and such needed use what he had or would you guys suggest a certain item for that as well
ive heard to uss ppg paints but havent heard of other brands that are good quality

im new to all this so id appreiate input from first hand experience with paint as id like have good paint and it last
im willing to pay a little more to get the end result i want
just not sure where to look or buy it from
Old 08-06-15, 06:16 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300bigtx
alright so long story short i did some work for a guy during the winter and we agreed as payment he would paint my car if i bought the paint well im looking to get her painted here soon but wanted some advice on which brand paint and which is a higher quality and which are brands i should avoid
i was planning on buying just the base color ( RSP or the ISF blue havent decided ) and the clear
and whatever other thinners and such needed use what he had or would you guys suggest a certain item for that as well
ive heard to uss ppg paints but havent heard of other brands that are good quality

im new to all this so id appreiate input from first hand experience with paint as id like have good paint and it last
im willing to pay a little more to get the end result i want
just not sure where to look or buy it from

Dude,

Use what he recommends. You don't want to introduce him to a paint system that he's not accustomed to since that raises the chance of errors during application. There is nothing wrong with researching his choice to verify it's a 'good paint'. The major names are PPG, Sherwin Williams, BASF, Dupont, Spies Hecker, and many more. Make sure the primer coat is sprayed with a paint gun and is by the same company for 100 percent compatibility. You don't want auto parts store Duplicolor spray can primer on your car, for example. Doing so will maximize the adhesion of the base coat and prevent possible bubbling/lifting of paint over time.

Have fun...

Last edited by freakness; 08-06-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 06:24 PM
weeters
Driver

I've had many cars painted and i recommend tell him the color YOU want and let him do his thing. Painters are very temperamental with what products they use even down to the freaking tape they use. not to mention the wax they want you to use. Just pay for the products HE wants to use and you should be good.
Old 08-07-15, 11:04 AM
sc300bigtx
Driver

this post was merrily for my benefit
im just wanting more insight from 1st hand experience from members on this forum . i dont like just paying someone to do soemthing to my car and not having any insight on it .
and yes common sense would tell you to use same brands in conjunction and not mix match
i will be talking with him and letting him decide on the paint as im using his discount at a local paint shop more then likely

has anyone found RSP or ISF blue online for a good price from one of the better manufacturers?
would think it would be cheaper online but if most ppl just get it from local paint shop ill just go that route