SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Engine removal help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-15, 05:15 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Engine removal help

So ima start removing the engine/trans to install a 1jzgte within the next week or so but i do not know where to hook up the hoist to as i have never done something like this before. Pictures woulld help alot. Thanks
Old 07-03-15, 09:48 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean hooking up the hoist? If you're trying to remove your old engine, you first need to remove the hood and front bumper cover, make sure you have a leveler. There is a lot of prep before you even think about hoisting the engine out.
Old 07-04-15, 12:49 AM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I'm trying to remove my old GE engine. I have all the steps written down and I have removed hood/bumper but I don't know where to hook the hoist to the engine to remove it
Old 07-04-15, 04:21 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You need a heavy engine chain. It should already be on the engine crane/hoist.

There are two engine hoist points on the head. they are at the front and rear. They are just simple hooks. You need to double loop the chains, and some have rings at the end to hook in, otherwise you're in for something catastrophic. If the rings or chains start to bend when you pump up the hoist, then you're stuck and hitting something. Don't try to go higher.

In my case I took out the exhaust manifold studs since my exhaust is rusted to hell and will never come out unless the whole thing is replaced. It's much easier to take off the alternator and disconnect the A/C hard lines (do this slowly and let all the gas come out - it's high pressure) because the A/C compressor will be out of the way. I did it with the hood on, just unhooked from the gas shocks and pushed it up really high and used sticks and a tie to keep it up. It's easier with the hood off, but I didn't want to mess with the alignment.

You'll need a large breaker bar and preferably 3 people to help balance everything. It can be done with 2 - I've done it twice. Possibly even one person if you're strong and have everything in harmony- but you're really putting your safety at risk.

Although it's kind of fun, changing the engine is such a pain in the ***. It's time consuming, physically tiring, and you've got a 700lb chunk of metal floating around on a chain.

This should help you.

Last edited by ISFFUN; 07-04-15 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-04-15, 09:52 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFFUN
You need a heavy engine chain. It should already be on the engine crane/hoist.

There are two engine hoist points on the head. they are at the front and rear. They are just simple hooks. You need to double loop the chains, and some have rings at the end to hook in, otherwise you're in for something catastrophic. If the rings or chains start to bend when you pump up the hoist, then you're stuck and hitting something. Don't try to go higher.

In my case I took out the exhaust manifold studs since my exhaust is rusted to hell and will never come out unless the whole thing is replaced. It's much easier to take off the alternator and disconnect the A/C hard lines (do this slowly and let all the gas come out - it's high pressure) because the A/C compressor will be out of the way. I did it with the hood on, just unhooked from the gas shocks and pushed it up really high and used sticks and a tie to keep it up. It's easier with the hood off, but I didn't want to mess with the alignment.

You'll need a large breaker bar and preferably 3 people to help balance everything. It can be done with 2 - I've done it twice. Possibly even one person if you're strong and have everything in harmony- but you're really putting your safety at risk.

Although it's kind of fun, changing the engine is such a pain in the ***. It's time consuming, physically tiring, and you've got a 700lb chunk of metal floating around on a chain.

This should help you.

Thanks! Im planning on doing it myself! we'll see how well that goes lol
Old 07-04-15, 09:56 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do NOT let the gas come out of the ac. Just disconnect the compressor and leave the ac system alone, drop in the new engine and hook up the old compressor.

You don't need anyone to help, this can be done by your self with a leveler

The hoist has to be the larger one and it has to be extended all the way out

Don't forget the gas line and heater hoses.

Just take your time, I think it's fun but tiring, you will sleep like a baby after

It can look scary while it's dangling in the air. I would help you if you were in colorado.

Last edited by mikef; 07-04-15 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-04-15, 11:01 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=mikef;9101257]Do NOT let the gas come out of the ac. Just disconnect the compressor and leave the ac system alone, drop in the new engine and hook up the old compressor.

You don't need anyone to help, this can be done by your self with a leveler

The hoist has to be the larger one and it has to be extended all the way out

Don't forget the gas line and heater hoses.

Just take your time, I think it's fun but tiring, you will sleep like a baby after

It can look scary while it's dangling in the air. I would help you if you were in colorado.[/QUOTE\]

Alright thanks. Yeah i don't start school for another month and a half or so ill have more than enough time to take it nice and slow and do it right the first time.