SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'95 SC300 suddenly will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 09:14 AM
Fernage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 SC300 suddenly will not start

I bought and SC300 couple months ago and its been running great until today. I have driven it to school and back (~3 hour drive each way) numerous time without any issues. Yesterday I drove back to school and had no issues at all, but this morning I go to start it and it won't start. It seems like it is right about to start and it even seems to chug to life for a millisecond but it just won't get there.

Here is a video of a start attempt...
http://vid90.photobucket.com/albums/...psiw1w9jqm.mp4

Has anyone experienced this before? Any advice about what this could be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-15, 12:17 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the cap and rotor on your distributor. They could be burned out which would cause this. They're cheap parts and relatively quick to replace.
Old 06-30-15, 04:14 PM
Fernage
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eknine9
Check the cap and rotor on your distributor. They could be burned out which would cause this. They're cheap parts and relatively quick to replace.
Well now I really don't know what to think. I am at school and I don't have any tools so I was just checking things like fuses and disconnecting and reconnecting connectors for the coil and ignitor just to make sure its not loose. When I removed a spark plug wire I found that the spark plug valley has a bunch of oil in it, so I figure that my valve cover seals are bad and the oil is leaking down onto the spark plug tips and ruining them.

However, since I don't have any tools to fix this right now, just for the hell of it I tried to start it one more time and it started right up. It seems to be missing a bit when idling, which I think is probably due to the spark plugs being in bad shape from the oil, but I don't understand why it just decided to start again. Now I'm nervous that its gonna randomly go back to not starting.
Old 06-30-15, 10:14 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fernage
Well now I really don't know what to think. I am at school and I don't have any tools so I was just checking things like fuses and disconnecting and reconnecting connectors for the coil and ignitor just to make sure its not loose. When I removed a spark plug wire I found that the spark plug valley has a bunch of oil in it, so I figure that my valve cover seals are bad and the oil is leaking down onto the spark plug tips and ruining them.

However, since I don't have any tools to fix this right now, just for the hell of it I tried to start it one more time and it started right up. It seems to be missing a bit when idling, which I think is probably due to the spark plugs being in bad shape from the oil, but I don't understand why it just decided to start again. Now I'm nervous that its gonna randomly go back to not starting.

Dude,

You need to repair the source of the oil leak which in this case appears to be the valve cover gaskets. Otherwise the problem will reappear.

- Chester
Old 07-05-15, 11:53 PM
Matromony
Driver School Candidate

Check your timing as well
Old 07-06-15, 11:35 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW to check your timing, use a light gun and make SURE you jump terminals TE1 and E1 first. Timing should be set at 10 degrees BTDC.