Newbie trying to decide SC400 or GS300

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 10:19 AM
bb2tosc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie trying to decide SC400 or GS300

Helloeverybody
Firstof this seems like a awesome forum with lots of information so kudos for that.
I'mtrying to decide between a SC400 and a GS300
Fora little background I'm just finishing my bachelor degree and looking for anice daily for work. I'm coming from a 93 Honda Prelude that I loved to deadbut unfortunately got crashed by a jeep and that on top of a million smallthings to fix, it’s just more than what the car is worth. I drive about 60miles daily.
Ilooked into a 98 SC400 with 125k miles. It needs some TLC
  • Seats are cracked
  • Previous crashed (replaced fender and properly painted the whole car)
  • Check engine light is on.
  • Drives fine, no smoke or anything. Engine idle seems a little low.
  • Owner asking 2k

Onthe other hand is a 01 GS300
  • Seems well taken care of
  • No check engine lights or anything
  • Drives smooth
  • Owner asking 3.5k

NowI love the SC400 style and the V8 vvti engine (I have a thing for coupes). Itseems like a nice fixer upper but I’m afraid it may backfire on me. I know itwill need at least 1.5k to get it back in shape.
TheGS300 just seems like a more intelligent decision but I’m not that attracted toit.

SoI’m asking you owners, which will you choose and why?
Ever been in the same situation between this two cares? If so, which one youended up getting?
Any other car (Lexus or not) that you may recommend?

Thanks
Old 06-16-15, 02:41 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having had 3 SCs, I'd say SC. There is something about the shape of this car that keeps pulling me back. Low stance for the old guy to get in and out of, lacking more modern features and age and subsequent upkeep aside....I love em.

If you can't help but turn around after you've parked her, she's not the car for you!!!
Old 06-16-15, 02:43 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy a car that is logical, but also that you love. That makes it easier as you fork over thousands to fix/maintain it. We all have Sc's so most prefer them. Are those your only local choices? Landing a great Sc takes patience, research and dedication. Take your time if you can. A sweet deal will come along.
Old 06-16-15, 02:47 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kbb
Having had 3 SCs, I'd say SC. There is something about the shape of this car that keeps pulling me back. Low stance for the old guy to get in and out of, lacking more modern features and age and subsequent upkeep aside....I love em.

If you can't help but turn around after you've parked her, she's not the car for you!!!
Great answer. I had 3 until a few months ago, now just two. I am in for the long haul. I maintain them like I intend to keep them forever. New OEM parts and high quality aftermarket upgrades only (for the most part).
I turn around after parking them all the time.
Old 06-16-15, 03:07 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been in this same boat for awhile with similar concerns but also to take into account possible performance later.. I love my SC400 but I have always had a sweet spot for the GS models. If I had to choose today, I would go GS300 and turbo it.. If you don't plan on modding them then I would hands down choose the SC only because it is faster and DOES get better gas mileage than the 6 cylinder..

Luckily, both models youre after are fairly cheap so if you really wanted to, get both
Old 06-16-15, 04:38 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got an 01 GS300 and had a 94 SC400 and currently have a 92 SC300 5spd. I enjoy driving the SCs a lot more than I do the GS but for comfort and getting around I drive the GS a lot more. Of course im an old man so that is a big difference. You didn't mention how many miles are on the GS but remember check to see if timing belt etc have been done if its over 100k.

My advice is buy the GS and then when you settle down buy you an SC that is in great shape or that you will have time to dump $ and time into it.
Old 06-16-15, 06:58 PM
TokinSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbb

I'm so with you on that. I love my '95 SC400. And KBB thanks for the a/c display works great.
Old 06-17-15, 05:05 AM
bb2tosc
Driver School Candidate

First of thanks a lot for your replies. I appreciate it

Originally Posted by kbb

I know that feeling of just being in love with a car. Definitely the SC with its sexy shape will do that for me. The GS not so much even though they can look really nice too.

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Buy a car that is logical, but also that you love. That makes it easier as you fork over thousands to fix/maintain it. We all have Sc's so most prefer them. Are those your only local choices? Landing a great Sc takes patience, research and dedication. Take your time if you can. A sweet deal will come along.
Been looking for about two months. Right now they are the local choices. There are 2 other SC's around but in very bad shape, pretty much abandoned by the owners to rotten away. Quite sad actually. Been also looking at acura TL, honda accords and preludes. Also looked at Infinity G35 (sedan, cant afford the coupe yet). But still leaning towards the lexus

Originally Posted by Kris9884
I have been in this same boat for awhile with similar concerns but also to take into account possible performance later.. I love my SC400 but I have always had a sweet spot for the GS models. If I had to choose today, I would go GS300 and turbo it.. If you don't plan on modding them then I would hands down choose the SC only because it is faster and DOES get better gas mileage than the 6 cylinder..

Luckily, both models youre after are fairly cheap so if you really wanted to, get both
No plans for mods (for now ). Turbo will be awesome but that will have to wait one or two years. Right now the priority is getting a reliable daily driver.

I guess I could buy both actually. But one will have to stay outside at night (don't have space for both) and will leave me little money to put on the SC to get it back in top shape.

Been doing some research and seem quite a few people say that, the V8 gets better mpg than the 2jz. Can you or anyone who's had both confirm that?

Originally Posted by Oconee1985
Ive got an 01 GS300 and had a 94 SC400 and currently have a 92 SC300 5spd. I enjoy driving the SCs a lot more than I do the GS but for comfort and getting around I drive the GS a lot more. Of course im an old man so that is a big difference. You didn't mention how many miles are on the GS but remember check to see if timing belt etc have been done if its over 100k.

My advice is buy the GS and then when you settle down buy you an SC that is in great shape or that you will have time to dump $ and time into it.
Comfort doesn't affect me that much. As I said I come from a Prelude which is a lot older and less luxurious. Both cars are bigger and comfier than my previous car so to me they are step up

Your opinion on buying the GS for now and then later buying a really nice SC seems like the most logical and mature decision. But still debating because the SC looks like so much fun.
Old 06-17-15, 07:31 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

98 SC4. Period.

If the SC is 2000, and the GS is 3500, but the SC and put the 1500 in it. You will have a WAY more eye catching car for sure. I know in my town at least, GS3's are a dime a dozen. I only see just a handful of SCs.

As far as the gas mileage, you should get *slightly* better in the 400. 290HP pulling a 3600 pound car is going to be way more efficient than 225 pulling the same car.

The SC4 also should have a better resale value than the GS3.
Old 06-17-15, 08:08 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you can't go wrong with either choice but if you find a clean SC I would say jump on that and get it!

Clean SC's are hard to come by these days with so many of them being in poor shape which is sad because the SC is such a beautiful car.

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 06-18-15 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-17-15, 08:20 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bb2tosc
Been doing some research and seem quite a few people say that, the V8 gets better mpg than the 2jz. Can you or anyone who's had both confirm that?
I have both. Mileage is about the same on them. A VVTI 400 gets better mileage than both of mine. 2J is heavy(iron).

Your opinion on buying the GS for now and then later buying a really nice SC seems like the most logical and mature decision. But still debating because the SC looks like so much fun.
I'd totally get the SC.
Old 06-18-15, 08:09 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Buying both would make more sense but....

Personally, I'd say SC. A 98+ with 125k miles for 2k? Yes please. Have a 99 GS300 on the yard and at 215k miles it still drives like new, though if you're looking for a faster (and sportier) ride, the SC is the way to go. GL on your decision!
Old 06-18-15, 11:48 AM
bb2tosc
Driver School Candidate

I'm really leaning toward the SC. Its just that is in rough shape and will need some care and fixing up. But for the price it doesn't seem bad.

One of my closest friends its telling me to just buy a beater civic or something like that. But what's the fun in that? And coming from a prelude, a beater civic will feel like a downgrade.

I see the SC every single day on my way to work, parked there waiting for someone to do something nice with it. It kind of drives me crazy.

Guys thanks a lot for your response

I let you know if I will be joining the Lexus family
Old 06-18-15, 02:43 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Offer less money if it is just sitting there...... more money for repairs.
Old 06-20-15, 12:05 PM
Danmo
Driver School Candidate

98+ SC for $2k seems like a deal, even if it needs some work. They are very comfortable, very practical big coupes. I would just keep in mind if you plan on modding there isnt much available for the vvti V8's until you start spending big money. Love my red 98 and so does my three year old who rides in it daily.

Quick Reply: Newbie trying to decide SC400 or GS300