SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

NEWBIE just bought an SC400

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 09:31 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chason
Dude, she's damn near showroom right now!

You know, I thought the 7% would get me pulled over, but in Houston they just don't care. Whether or not it's worth the risk is up to you haha

There's some threads around here about speaker sizes.... both the fronts and the backs, the bezel can be modified to fit bigger speakers. The ones in that came with it are a painfully small at 4", but you can easily fit larger as there's lots of plastic that surrounds the speaker. You can move to 6.5" all the way around pretty easily iirc.

Rear:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...necessary.html

Front:

I went the opposite direction and got the subs first, but one of these days I'm going to drop a set of Focals in.

The touch screen climate control is sick too... my climate control just broke so I may take the plunge. Pricey, but that thing is slick.
Thanks bro. And @ almost $400 the CC is pricey, but then again, the double din I'm ordering with detachable face, costs more. Yet, my CC is far more important lol. And it gives it that bit of technology that makes it really like a new car and better than some.

I plan on getting the touch CC, double din, viper alarm, redo the interior with peanut butter leather and side panels, carpet, refresh the paint, tints, New soeksers since mine pop at high volumes, 12" sundown NSV Sub, 19" 5 spokes of some sort w/concave design, chrome side pillars, straight pipes from cats to my Borla Mufflers, bam. Build a N/A engine later down the road and beef up the trans. In a luxury car, I like the auto. With tweaks it can do decent.

Originally Posted by Mastana
Nice car ! That car is real sweet i hope you enjoy it !
I do bro & thanks. Welcome to the 98+ club. She's a work in progress. Can't wait to relocate her to Georgia where I'll have a garage.
Old 01-10-15, 01:05 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

look into installing a tablet, it's like a quarter of the price of some more expensive double dins and you get tons more features. really look into it. 7" tablets are like 100 bucks nowadays, it's really not hard install, PM me if you have any questions, and i'm in chicago so i can help you with the install.
Old 01-10-15, 03:31 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldManTan
look into installing a tablet, it's like a quarter of the price of some more expensive double dins and you get tons more features. really look into it. 7" tablets are like 100 bucks nowadays, it's really not hard install, PM me if you have any questions, and i'm in chicago so i can help you with the install.
That would be badass. I will PM you now and am willing to pay you to assist in the install. Never seen one done on an SC. Tablets have better screens, nice apps (Android), music is easy to download, I have unlimited 4G Hotspot on my HTC, so I can connect on the go.

Guess I'd need an amp once I upgrade the speakers right away, since head units can power speakers a bit and a tablet obviously doesn't out out power. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-10-15, 11:29 AM
chason
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. It's all about the Nexus 7" right now. Tons of information on how to mount those in cars, even seen one on an SC. That's what I'm doing.

My head unit broke, so I found wiring diagrams here, and hooked up a cable directly to the factory amp and speakers. Next step is to put the tablet in there, and then it's a matter of plugging into the headphone jack and using the tablet for controlling volume. Wasn't too bad, took me only a couple hours.
Old 01-10-15, 11:33 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Yup. It's all about the Nexus 7" right now. Tons of information on how to mount those in cars, even seen one on an SC. That's what I'm doing.

My head unit broke, so I found wiring diagrams here, and hooked up a cable directly to the factory amp and speakers. Next step is to put the tablet in there, and then it's a matter of plugging into the headphone jack and using the tablet for controlling volume. Wasn't too bad, took me only a couple hours.
Sounds great! Please, please post pics whenevr you can. And is there a link to the diagram?
Old 01-12-15, 08:32 AM
chason
Rookie

There's a diagram if you search, but since I still haven't installed the tablet so my dash has a huge gaping hole in it. I'll look in there tonight and give you just the colors you need, should save you some time.
Old 01-12-15, 08:59 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I chose to get a cheaper head unit with bluetooth and put the tablet on a gooseneck. The tablet plays through the head unit via bluetooth.
Attached Thumbnails NEWBIE just bought an SC400-is-wheel.jpg  
Old 01-13-15, 02:33 PM
chason
Rookie

While maybe not easier, it's cheaper and looks better to just mount a tablet directly into the dash. You can get a Nexus 7 for $150 with Amazon Prime. You do, however, have to open it up and relocate the headphone jack... but it's dirt simple to do.

Here's the wiring diagram:

I'm not sure which is front and rear, but the same signal goes to both, so I tied them together,

L+ = blue / white
L- = brown with black stripe
R+ = brown / red
R- = brown with silver dots

I found this out with the factory wiring diagram, pulling the plug on the amplifier, and then doing a continuity test with the plugs from the head unit.

I've wired in some RCA jacks, and then did a splitter, one side to my input (headphone jack, tablet, phone), the other side to my sub amp.

The diagram is found on this page: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-system-5.html but it only has position, not color.

I guess the only problem I have with it is when I charge my phone and have it plugged into the speakers I get a ground loop. Haven't looked into fixing that yet, but would be necessary for the tablet.

ignore the cut pink wire, that was a mistake.

Left side to sub amp, right side to 3.5mm input jack
Old 01-14-15, 01:11 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

While maybe not easier, it's cheaper and looks better to just mount a tablet directly into the dash. You can get a Nexus 7 for $150 with Amazon Prime. You do, however, have to open it up and relocate the headphone jack... but it's dirt simple to do.

Here's the wiring diagram:

I'm not sure which is front and rear, but the same signal goes to both, so I tied them together,

L+ = blue / white
L- = brown with black stripe
R+ = brown / red
R- = brown with silver dots

I found this out with the factory wiring diagram, pulling the plug on the amplifier, and then doing a continuity test with the plugs from the head unit.

I've wired in some RCA jacks, and then did a splitter, one side to my input (headphone jack, tablet, phone), the other side to my sub amp.

The diagram is found on this page: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-system-5.html but it only has position, not color.

I guess the only problem I have with it is when I charge my phone and have it plugged into the speakers I get a ground loop. Haven't looked into fixing that yet, but would be necessary for the tablet.

ignore the cut pink wire, that was a mistake.

Left side to sub amp, right side to 3.5mm input jack
Thanks for the time you took for this post. Sucks that I'm not knowledgeable on wiring and splicing, but have seen great YouTube video's on it. With my family and small business, I don't have the time to really tinker with the installation. My best bet is going on Amazon for the tablet and finding an audio shop that can do the install. Will cost more, but worth it.

Also, how do you plan on mounting it?
Old 01-14-15, 07:54 AM
chason
Rookie

No problem! In regards to mounting, the Nexus 7 fits perfectly in a double din slot, so all I have to do is pull the whole middle surround out, which is easy, and then find a way to squish the face flush. Maybe bend some metal behind it and then stick it down with epoxy or double-sided tape. I haven't really thought this one through, just gonna freestyle it. I'll be sure to do a writeup whenever I do the install. It's going to be a while though, I'm fixing my suspension first which stupid expensive.

The wiring is pretty easy, I did the twist, solder and shrink wrap... but crimp connectors would work too. Cut, strip the wire, crimp it down with pliers. The hardest part of it all is that there's not much slack to work with. For the tablet, you'd have to get a 12v -> usb power supply and splice it in too.

I hear you on the time thing. Right now I've got more time than money, so it makes sense for me to DIY as much as possible. I enjoy it to an extent, but sometimes I think of how nice it would be to not have to fool with any of it and just pay to have it done lol
Old 01-15-15, 01:18 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

No problem! In regards to mounting, the Nexus 7 fits perfectly in a double din slot, so all I have to do is pull the whole middle surround out, which is easy, and then find a way to squish the face flush. Maybe bend some metal behind it and then stick it down with epoxy or double-sided tape. I haven't really thought this one through, just gonna freestyle it. I'll be sure to do a writeup whenever I do the install. It's going to be a while though, I'm fixing my suspension first which stupid expensive.

The wiring is pretty easy, I did the twist, solder and shrink wrap... but crimp connectors would work too. Cut, strip the wire, crimp it down with pliers. The hardest part of it all is that there's not much slack to work with. For the tablet, you'd have to get a 12v -> usb power supply and splice it in too.

I hear you on the time thing. Right now I've got more time than money, so it makes sense for me to DIY as much as possible. I enjoy it to an extent, but sometimes I think of how nice it would be to not have to fool with any of it and just pay to have it done lol
Right. And as luck would have it, my radio went out last night! I blame the extreme cold. No signal. Plays cds with no sound. Tape deck adapter doesn't work either. So now I'm in need of an upgrade. Buying the cheap Metra kit today on Amazon, as well as a cheap single or maybe Chinese double din with detachable face. Without a dt face, my ghetto *** area will have a come up off my radio. Then again, my factory alarm and immobilizer might deter the crook, but only after a smashed window. A car just got stolen on my block on the 6th. Must have been an old car.

So bro, time to spend more money.... Ugh. Oh, having best buy do the instal. Might see if they have cheap 4" speakers to replace mine. That's if everything comes out to under $500.
Old 01-15-15, 11:22 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Default Will this fit?

Too big?
Old 01-16-15, 05:14 AM
ems
Lead Lap

where did you find that and what is it?
Old 01-16-15, 08:53 AM
chason
Rookie

Any double DIN should fit... the metal surrounding the radio is the full double DIN height, so you should be able to bolt that straight to it. My bet is worst case scenario you have to drill a couple of holes in the metal, but it looks like that's got a ton of options, so it's probably not necessary.
Old 01-17-15, 01:32 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Any double DIN should fit... the metal surrounding the radio is the full double DIN height, so you should be able to bolt that straight to it. My bet is worst case scenario you have to drill a couple of holes in the metal, but it looks like that's got a ton of options, so it's probably not necessary.
So no Metra Kit bro? If so, I'll have on installed today!

Originally Posted by ems
where did you find that and what is it?
Amazon bro. It is a single din that has a 9.3" detachable face that hangs down instead of up. Wondering if it would hit the bottom of the console. It's cheap, good reviews, looks baddass screen wise.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE just bought an SC400