SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/SC400 Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 05:44 PM
Dreamer88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300/SC400 Newbie

Didn't see a section for newbies. I'm new to the lexus world. I like toyota to an extent as the next guy. I currently do not own a lexus, but I plan on buying a lexus sc400 next spring as a project car. My plan is to make it a high hp car. I want to get the sc400 because of the v8. If the engine is done, I'll most likely will attempt a engine swap of a 2uz-fe or 3uz-fe if possible.

I really want to put the 3uz-fe engine and trans in it (not too for sure which trans to put in it), but doubt the older sc400 trans would work with that engine. At this time, I'm going to keep doing research and reading as much as I can to figure out a game plan. Now just deal with my questions that I ask, this is my first project car and not afraid to experience some issues. Luckily, I know a shop in my area that is good with performance import vehicles, a couple friends in military for garage access , and will most likely use the performance shop for guidance/major issues. Mostly likely for the VERY hard stuff.

Well that is it and you will see random questions from me soon. Also, I drive a cobalt tc.....so go on and hate if you want.

Been talking to a friend and he put an idea in my head. A LQ9 engine swap. Still trying to figure out what trans will work with the stock rears. Still researching both ideas at the moment.
Old 09-11-14, 06:05 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a guy on here thats got an LS1 on the forumn.
Old 09-11-14, 08:25 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want an SC400, buy the 98, 99, or 2000 variants as they come with the upgraded 1uzfe with vvt-i which bumps output to 290 HP.
I wouldn't bother with a 2uz or 3uz as they are mainly truck engines designed for high torque at low RPM's, check the wiki page on the UZ engines.
2uz actually has less hp than a vvt-i 1uz, and the 3uz has 290-300hp which isn't much different from the vvt-i 1uz.

For the price of a 2uz or 3uz swap you won't get any noticeable output as compared to just getting a 1uz, and from there it's rare but not unheard of, a few members on here have put the 1uz under boost. There is both a supercharger and turbo kit available for the 1uz which would probably cost you less than swapping to a 2uz or 3uz and will provide noticeable increases in power.

The 98+ sc400's can be a bit difficult to find but if you have time to search for one a decent one usually pops up within a few months. Expect to spend $6k or so if it's in good shape with low-moderate mileage. You could probably find one for around $2k-$2.5k with high mileage or in bad shape.
Old 09-11-14, 09:25 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwhite
Theres a guy on here thats got an LS1 on the forumn.
There are a couple of us actually

OP, welcome aboard. It sounds like you have your goals set, but keep in mind the UZ family engines are not cheap to mod, but they can hold their own, and a few of them put my cammed ls1 in its place.
Old 09-12-14, 07:37 AM
Dreamer88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
There are a couple of us actually

OP, welcome aboard. It sounds like you have your goals set, but keep in mind the UZ family engines are not cheap to mod, but they can hold their own, and a few of them put my cammed ls1 in its place.
Thank you everyone for the kind welcome! Is there any difference between the engine bay size between sc300/sc400?

I've really been thinking about the lq9 motor. I know it's an iron block which means it will be heavy, but it can make crap load of power with a big turbo and it will be cheaper to modify. Plus, I have a friend who can sell me big turbo's for cheap.

@turbodremz did you have to fabricate anything with the ls1 swap and what trans did you use?
Old 09-12-14, 12:05 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamer88
Thank you everyone for the kind welcome! Is there any difference between the engine bay size between sc300/sc400?

I've really been thinking about the lq9 motor. I know it's an iron block which means it will be heavy, but it can make crap load of power with a big turbo and it will be cheaper to modify. Plus, I have a friend who can sell me big turbo's for cheap.

@turbodremz did you have to fabricate anything with the ls1 swap and what trans did you use?
Only thing I had to fabricate was the exhaust from the headers back. If you look at my build thread and signature it has a pretty complete list of parts that keeps it a bolt in swap.

I running the F-Body T56 6-speed with the f-body driveshaft. As for the weight difference with the LQ's, its not that substantial, something like 60-80lbs. I will be switching to an iron block soon, but the cost to mod the LSx and LQx are about the same. Also keep in mind with the LQ's you need to swap from the truck intake/accessories to the f-body to clear the hood, and oil pan/baffle/pick up to clear the cross member.