SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc400 idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 10:00 AM
nuttynorb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sc400 idle problem

i have a 95 sc400 and it was running great but one day while i was driving it just stalled out...died on me in the middle of the road, i had power to everything so i threw it in neutral turned the key and it fired up i got on the gas right away and didnt let up for the fear of it could die again before i got home. i made it home and when i got there i turned it off, after that the car wouldnt start it would start to fire up rpm would get to 1000 in a instant just drop down to 0 never idled, just stalled on the start up so i tried to start the car frequently but it wouldnt ever idle, then one day it fired right up and idled perfect ran perfect but after i got back home and turned it off, restarted it the idle was surging it did this for a longer time then the stalling until one day it idled perfectly so i took it around the block and it stalled on me so i just turned the key and started it back up had to keep on the gas or it would just stall out again, got home turned it off tried to restart it but it would stall at the start again, lemme know what you think the problem can be
Old 08-09-14, 10:42 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I had something like that happen a few times, although mine would only behave that way when re-starting. It never stalled on me while driving.

It was believed that a bad coolant temperature sensor (mine had bare wires, broken plug connector, and nearly severed plastic base on the sensor itself) was a very likely culprit, although it happened at least once more after replacing/repairing that.

I had no recent repair history on the car, so it seemed wise to follow the advice to freshen the charging system. I had already done plugs/wires, so I also replaced caps & rotors, in addition to checking the coils. That had no apparent impact.

I later discovered that my fuel tank seems to be excessively pressurized. Still working on identifying the source of that... But, releasing the gas cap pressure seemed to help with initial start-up, so if the start-stall thing ever happens again, I'll be trying that to see if it's related. It would make some sense that the pressure build-up while running would exacerbate things.

Also, I just had my ECU repaired. There was some pretty extensive damage to the area surrounding the main O2 sensor pins. I wouldn't be surprised if that eliminates several such problems. Couldn't hurt to take a peek at yours, although none of the damage to mine was visible until removing capacitors. (Hint: if your ECu has never been repaired, your caps are most likely already doing damage.)