SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help alignment and bad shop?/rant/rave....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 08:25 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Help alignment and bad shop?/rant/rave....

So I just got rotors resurfaced, calipers rebuilt, new pads/hardware and an alignment...after getting the car back, the pedal traveled...WAIT FOR IT....more than half way to the mother *****ing floor before it started actually slowing me down. THEN...the steering wheels top dead center was now at about 2 o' clock. I take it back and chew them out. The brakes are better I will give them that...they probably just did not bleed them right. The steering wheel is still off though and quite dramatically at that basically between 1 and 2 o' clock now. They mentioned I need new inner tie rods...before I go back and complain, are the inner tie rods connected with these guys not being able to freaking align my car? I'm extremely frustrated as my DAD spent a lot of HIS own money for this entire job for me and it keeps leaving me extremely unsatisfied. I'm unsure of what to do. Ideas? Just, something about the entire job feels like a waste of my dads money when these guys can not even get the steering wheel aligned. It's a real gross feeling.

Best,
Ashtray

edit: One more detail...the manager at the shop mentioned that my front rotors were resurfaced and ended up going under the minimum diameter by like .58. At that time it was my fault as I was in a rush for school but it just hit me that does not sound safe...

Last edited by ashtray; 02-10-14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-10-14, 09:45 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Your first mistake is just taking the car to the shop for those things be done except for the alignment. (it would probably cost you less for you to dissasemble the piston clean it and put it back together or the junk yard calipers and new rotors)
Anyway, we cant all work on our cars or have time to find deals.

I would definately take the car back to the shop and have the technitian or the manager drive the car with you next to him. Then ask him if the car was inspected before handed to the customer? Its the shops like that **** me off and should be out of biz if they cant get customers cars done right the first time for a simple of a job as that, timing is another issue. Seems like everyone wants to take your ride out and abuse it or something....
But yeah Id take it back or bad reviews online and word of mouth
Old 02-10-14, 10:28 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Your first mistake is just taking the car to the shop for those things be done except for the alignment. (it would probably cost you less for you to dissasemble the piston clean it and put it back together or the junk yard calipers and new rotors)
Anyway, we cant all work on our cars or have time to find deals.

I would definately take the car back to the shop and have the technitian or the manager drive the car with you next to him. Then ask him if the car was inspected before handed to the customer? Its the shops like that **** me off and should be out of biz if they cant get customers cars done right the first time for a simple of a job as that, timing is another issue. Seems like everyone wants to take your ride out and abuse it or something....
But yeah Id take it back or bad reviews online and word of mouth
That would have cost me so much less I now realize. Thing is I had NO idea it was going to come out to the amount that it did. I feel like throwing up just thinking about it...thats how bad I feel ripped off.
Old 02-10-14, 11:38 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
The steering wheel is still off though and quite dramatically at that basically between 1 and 2 o' clock now. They mentioned I need new inner tie rods...before I go back and complain, are the inner tie rods connected with these guys not being able to freaking align my car?.
Depends if the inner tie rod is loose it can.... usually they unscrew the nut and adjust one or both inner and outer for alignment.
If your inner tie rod is bad youll know it, there will be a vibration at high speeds. You can also test by jacking up your car and moving your wheel side to side you'll see your inner rod moving with your wheel when you shake it side to side. It will make a clunking/clicking noise.

I was experiencing vibration on my old sc4 (RIP ) Last spring...Bought a kit off ebay that held up just fine..Did both inner and outer tie rods on both sides, even though i was supposed to get aligned after that i got it to sit pretty straight so i let it be.

I Adjusted the tie rods to get it to sit straight by counting the threads and making sure the the inner/outer tie rods were the same on each side.
The inner tie rod has the threads the outer rod screws onto.

Last edited by Joey-E; 02-11-14 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Fixed explanation
Old 02-11-14, 04:45 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn sorry to hear about this man... The only time you should get rotors resurfaced imo is if it's free under warranty or you have really expensive rotors you want to keep. Otherwise just buy new. Some places charge up to $30 per rotor to be resurfaced, when you can get new ones for $35. If the front rotors came up under minimum diameter then tell them that it's their fault. and your not paying for ruined rotors or the labor rate to take them off, work on them, and put them back on. They should know if the rotors were worth resurfacing or if you should buy new, and as "professionals" they should know not to put rotors back on your car that are too thin as they are deemed unsafe.

When I bought my car I had complete history of the vehicle, and from Lexus the rotors were resurfaced 3 times! It was the first thing I replaced. $130 for all four from Advance Auto Parts. Now of course these are cheap, but I'm not ready for big breaks yet and wont be until I get my wheels.
Old 02-11-14, 01:48 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also probably got air in the system if you had to push the brakes all the way down, they should of been firm...brakes probably feel better because of new pads.

I say take your SC else where or just do the work yourself and save $.

Get aligned at a good shop that offers lifetime warranty like Brake check