SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 arrived !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 04:26 AM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have an advantage, you know the language to understand, and also you have the parts for the car !
Old 01-22-14, 07:17 PM
JPS
Rookie

Originally Posted by TonyFrench
You have an advantage, you know the language to understand, and also you have the parts for the car !
I know English for an everyday life, but when it comes to mechanical / electrical / .... subjects, I still need a dictionary.
But it's true I will find more parts in Australia than in France !!
Old 02-13-14, 02:43 AM
JPS
Rookie

Hello,

Long time I didn't post here, but I was quite busy laying wooden floor in bedrooms and working for my studies.

However, I've done quite a lot of things with the car and I'll give detail and photos soon.
Today, I've changed both front seat belts - bought $20 each, in working order but one was really dirt.
Once quarter trims were removed, I've found on both side a 2-pins connector that is not connected. It's a white connector, one wire is black and silver, the other one is red and black (or black and red...) as you can see on photos.

Does anyone know what is the use of those connectors and/or why they are disconnected ?
Moreover, I can't see any device (ECU, sensor,...) where I can plug them...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails SC400 arrived !!-imgp0149bis.jpg   SC400 arrived !!-imgp0150bis.jpg  
Old 02-13-14, 10:15 AM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Not light in dashboard ?

click here -> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...seat-swap.html
Old 02-13-14, 02:36 PM
JPS
Rookie

Not light in dashboard ?

click here -> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...seat-swap.html
Thanks for the reply.
I don't think it's those one, cause mine are located on the rear seats, close to the place where to screw the front seat belt - somewhere behind the rear arm rest -> see the photo I've added.

I'll make other pictures later, at this time I do a deep cleaning of carpets and seats are the are out of the car... I don't know how previous owner manage to do it, but there is coffee everywhere (both front seats, rear seats, carpet), sand...

If I make a list of what I've found in the car while cleaning it:
- 1 screwdriver
- 3 bolts
- 1 lipstick
- maybe 40 tooth picks
- 1 silver lady shoe size 6 (that's not the size of his wife or his daughter........)
- several rubber to tie hair
- 3 pen, 1 key holder, 2 pair of glasses,
- little more than $15 in coins of 10,20 and 50 cents !!
- and many other more I've forgotten...
That was such a mess!!
Attached Thumbnails SC400 arrived !!-imgp0154bis.jpg  

Last edited by JPS; 02-13-14 at 08:02 PM. Reason: photo
Old 02-14-14, 08:28 AM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Ali baba cave
Old 02-14-14, 03:01 PM
JPS
Rookie

Ali baba cave
yeah !!!

Yesterday, I even found nuts, coins and more under the carpet !! Unbelievable !! I,ve spend more 3 hours cleaning seats, and tomorrow I'll clean the carpet...
Old 02-23-14, 01:35 PM
JPS
Rookie

Without any answer, and as they were already unplugged without any parts where to plug them, I put rear seats back without plugging them.

so now that I have few time, I'll tell you what I've done on the car... For few weeks, my garage was such a mess !!!
Attached Thumbnails SC400 arrived !!-garage-small.jpg  
Old 02-23-14, 01:55 PM
JPS
Rookie

1/ As said, I've bought used seat belts in working order for AUD 20 each. They were easier than I thought to install, as front seats has already been removed in the past of the car. They were marks on screws and they were not as tight as I thought and font seats were not so heavy to move.
Now I just have to finish to clean them cause they're quite dirt

2/ As all seats were out, I've made a deep cleaning of them and of the carpet in the car...Never seen seats so dirt... I've vacuum them and "hit" them (don't know how to say, to hit them with a tools to remove all dust that is trapped inside...) for more than 1 hour, and then used lot of shampoo to clean all stains... One full day for all seats and carpets, but worth it!!! I forgot to take pictures, but here is a picture of carpet under the driver's seat before. Seats were worst than the carpet !!!
Attached Thumbnails SC400 arrived !!-inside-carpet.jpg  
Old 02-23-14, 02:17 PM
JPS
Rookie

3/ I've fixed somes issues with powered seats.
-> fixed all broken plastics parts as I could... Some look good and some still look repaired, but that's the best I can do right now.

-> cleaned all mechanism under seats - lots of hairs and dust... - and then added few grease and WD40

-> repaired the reclining control for the driver's seat. Wasn't working in the car, when I've opened the switch, I've understood why... it seems there has been a kind of overheating that has melted the plastic and blackened the switch. In real, it was really worst than on the photo ! I've cleaned everything, glued some plastic to rebuild the command and right now it's working...however I don't know for how long the glued plastic will stay efficient...

-> still have to make new **** for the passenger seat, will take some more time
Attached Thumbnails SC400 arrived !!-driver-seat-switch.jpg  
Old 02-23-14, 02:43 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice to see you haven't been sitting still and work your way to make your car perfect again
good job !
Old 02-25-14, 03:38 PM
JPS
Rookie

Default good news and bad news

Originally Posted by Sc400NL
nice to see you haven't been sitting still and work your way to make your car perfect again
good job !
Thanks, I can't spend as many time as I wish, but step by step the car will go back to roads !!

Have some good news and bad news.

Yesterday, I've tried to start the car for the first time since I have it...Nothing happens, just the 'click' of the key inside the key cylinder
Then I knew for sure that the red led flashing under panels under the steering column was an alarm that was armed. I've tried to disarm it with the remote or the key without success...
Then I've removed all panels, followed wires of the led and after half an hour found a black box, with only black wires that was just strapped on the electrical harness -> obviously an aftermarket alarm.
I've spent some time to be able to put it out of wires and steering column to confirm that and find info about it. The alarm is a Mongoose MX40 MKII and I've found the manual on their website.

Now a good news: thanks to the manual, I was able to override the alarm - took me another 20 minutes to make it work - and to try again to start the engine.
On the first attempt, only the sound of the starter came, no sound of 'fuel explosions' inside like when an engine is about to start.
After 5 attempts, the engine start to make sound. I think it was in need of few fuel inside, and after maybe 15 attempts, the engine started

Idle is not perfect and when I go at more than 3000 rpm engine is not smooth - a kind of hiccup.
So far, I assumed it comes from old fuel (more than 1,5 years old) and the fact that the engine has not ran for long time.

I didn't really drive the car yet as it's not registered, just gone from my backward to my frontward and back.
The most surprising for me is the quietness of the engine and exhaust. I thought their sound will be louder, but that's a good surprise. I don't like cars that are too noisy, can't drive for long time without getting headache.

Now bad news:

- I still can't disarm the alarm with the remote, I have to override it and it took between 5 to 10 minutes. Once disarmed, I have only 30 seconds to start the engine or it will automatically re-arm. I've contacted Mongoose Technical Support, they've answered quickly, give me another tip to make the remote work but without success. Waiting for another answer from them

- I have a warning message about the brake system. I will have a look on the forum to try to find what I can do for it, not the most important right now (to be able to start the car easily is the priority)

- even if I don't have a warning message, I feel that it's difficult to turn with car, as if the power steering assist is not working well. I've checked quickly, fluid level is good, but like for brakes, I'll see that problem later.
Old 02-25-14, 04:49 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gas

When I bought my 300, it had been sitting under a tree for 4 years. When I first started it, it ran like hell for a full hour but once you get the bad gas out, it has been running perfectly.
Old 02-25-14, 05:12 PM
JPS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ozzzzy
When I bought my 300, it had been sitting under a tree for 4 years. When I first started it, it ran like hell for a full hour but once you get the bad gas out, it has been running perfectly.
That's what I think, and that's why I'm not worried too much about it right now.

Do you think I should use something like injector cleaner now, in order not to damage the engine with too much old fuel, or wait to have used all of it, put new fuel and then clean it ?
Because I still have 36 l of fuel, that'll will take long to use it as I can't drive the car yet....
Old 02-25-14, 05:31 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gas

I don't think there is such a thing as using too much fuel injector cleaner.

Quick Reply: SC400 arrived !!