SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Future Of The Sc's

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 07:58 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'd love to own an lf-lc (sc500) in 2016.

Last edited by Kohinoor; 05-13-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 09:28 PM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Way I Feel Is that they lost soul there is no passion in what they do. C'mon look at The 90's We Had the Celica,Supra,Mr2,sc300,gs300,aristo,soarer,chaser,starlet,Ae86.

What Do We Have Today LFA,FRS,TC,ISF

Dont get Me started on why we have no more reliable inline 6's they were killed off for being to reliable and Supposedly Tougher CARB Laws
Old 05-13-13, 10:56 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
This.

And plus, in your post, you were asking for somewhat affordable, which doesn't go so well with a luxury brand. And even back then when SC's first came out, it wasn't affordable at all, even now $50+K is still a huge amount of money. I like the direction Lexus is going personally, they're being innovators instead of following a trend or a "standard" which German/European cars has been leading ever since. I really think what Lexus needs to do is stay away from that, and people should stop comparing them to that. When Henry Ford built cars, I'm pretty sure people who used to ride horses were also going "we need more excitement than this".

Last edited by OG Dada; 05-13-13 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 11:19 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScWift92
The Way I Feel Is that they lost soul there is no passion in what they do. C'mon look at The 90's We Had the Celica,Supra,Mr2,sc300,gs300,aristo,soarer,chaser,starlet,Ae86.

What Do We Have Today LFA,FRS,TC,ISF

Dont get Me started on why we have no more reliable inline 6's they were killed off for being to reliable and Supposedly Tougher CARB Laws
ever since the 2nd to newest president came into power, toyota started shifting over from interesting cars (their minivans used to be mid-engine. AND BOOSTED) to mundane cars that appeal to the mass to attain some kinda market presence, a goal percentage i don't think they were ever able to reach. The newer owner, the nephew or son or whoever-i-don't-care, seems to be heading more into the sporty area with the is-f and lf-a but really, we need more. turn the motor 90* in more of the cars and stop making them so godawfully ugly and I can dig.

As a scion owner, I think the whole scion name should be burned to the ground. get rid of those terrible cars and slap a toyota badge onto the subaru. i mean the fr-s, though tbh, I think the fr-s is way over-hyped for what it is.
Old 05-14-13, 07:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
Me too. The only positive I see for the LF-LC coming out that late is that I would have enough cash saved up to buy one.

Didn't Lexus have other concept coupes they were working on? I recall hearing about another on Car Chat but I don't remember the exact name of it.
Old 05-14-13, 10:32 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

They don't have it any longer, no.

But really, how is this a surprise? Look at their track record: Lexus made its name on two main successes initially. Those were the the LS400 (Celsior?) and SC300/400 (VERY watered down Soarers). Somehow, they made money and spent bundles on marketing to help. Lexus North America has never, other than the original GS400, 98-00 SC400 and IS-F, been remotely interested in offering performance with their luxury image. This, despite there being an available superior drivetrain and option list in the Japanese version of almost every model they sold in the USA in the 1990's and early 2000's.

Lexus NA has a HUGE sway over what we get here versus what Toyota/Lexus Japan might sell in their home markets. For kicks, I made a what-if thread about SC's and I was actually surprised by many of the responses:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...in-the-us.html

The IS250 never had an improved manual and now there is no manual option at all. The IS350 and IS-F never had a manual option while BMW 335i's and 535i's have always had manual options.

Lexus would do well to make their LF-LC if they wish to but they should make another SC coupe to compete with the likes of Audi's A5. I can't keep track of how many times I've thought the A5 has a near timeless look in its current styling. I feel the same way about the 92-00 SC. And what price range are those A5's selling for? Certainly not $100k. Even the RS5 is only a $70k MSRP vehicle. That's the ballpark of what SC300/400's used to cost when adjusted for inflation.

Even with regulations, Toyota could come up with a small displacement turbocharged engine that would have the same power output as the 1JZ-GTE VVT-i Soarer engine. They could do it but the question is whether or not Lexus NA feels that such a powerplant is in line with their asinine "brand image". The overbuilt quality of the engines may or may not ever come to pass again. Toyota overbuilt the JZ design to compete with Nissan's overbuilt RB designs. Both companies spread the R&D costs by making many tame non-turbo JZ and RB sixes. Lexus just happened to benefit from some of that magic inadvertently.

Regulations MIGHT possibly make styling a coupe like the original SC difficult but I don't really think so. If Toyota and Subaru can come up with a car like the GT86/FR-S/BRZ then they could make a new SC if they wanted to.

The designer of the GT86 on the Toyota side is already working on a more powerful version of the small 2+2 RWD and also a new Supra. All that he's said about the latter is that it will not have a Prius-like hybrid drivetrain.

Toyota also needs to sell their Mark X in the USA. The Avalon is pitiful as a flagship.

Lexus I can only guess about but it's never been about whether they have what it takes to sway buyers who enjoy driving from buying German. It's about whether they even care about those buyers at all.

Do they still have it? With Akio Toyoda at the helm... maybe. But they need more than a GT86 and future Supra and MR2 (they are planning one of those as well) to make Toyota/Lexus interesting again.
Old 05-14-13, 11:26 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sources in Japan say Toyota’s version (of the joint BMW/Toyota sports car) will actually underpin an all-new Lexus sports car, a suggestion that makes all the sense in the world given Akio Toyoda’s ambition to make Lexus a genuine global rival to the German lux-meisters. Whisper is the new Lexus will be positioned to compete with the Mercedes SLK, BMW Z4, and entry-level Porsche Boxster.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/05/1...seat-roadster/
Old 05-14-13, 01:17 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good points kahn... Do they really care? That is the question and I guess they answered that question with the LFA but @ $300K+ i think it is clear they are letting Toyota deal with that. In all honesty the SC is not a good sports car. Coming from a Z33 & SR S14 the sc doesn't even compare. Now with that said the sc fills a void that the Z33 and S14 had which was comfort. I left those platforms to build a straight line monster that was comfy. I didn't want a corner karver or tougue beast. So i guess the question would be if they return to a comfy 2 seater since the FRS is the new corner karver \ tougue beast. Like most said the SC is unattainable to most new so i have a feeling guys aren't brawling in the board room to get a new sports car done by Lexus in the 30+-70K range
Old 05-14-13, 04:10 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tabaka

Sources in Japan say Toyota’s version (of the joint BMW/Toyota sports car) will actually underpin an all-new Lexus sports car, a suggestion that makes all the sense in the world given Akio Toyoda’s ambition to make Lexus a genuine global rival to the German lux-meisters. Whisper is the new Lexus will be positioned to compete with the Mercedes SLK, BMW Z4, and entry-level Porsche Boxster.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/05/1...seat-roadster/
This would be awesome.
Old 05-14-13, 06:50 PM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
They don't have it any longer, no.

But really, how is this a surprise? Look at their track record: Lexus made its name on two main successes initially. Those were the the LS400 (Celsior?) and SC300/400 (VERY watered down Soarers). Somehow, they made money and spent bundles on marketing to help. Lexus North America has never, other than the original GS400, 98-00 SC400 and IS-F, been remotely interested in offering performance with their luxury image. This, despite there being an available superior drivetrain and option list in the Japanese version of almost every model they sold in the USA in the 1990's and early 2000's.

Lexus NA has a HUGE sway over what we get here versus what Toyota/Lexus Japan might sell in their home markets. For kicks, I made a what-if thread about SC's and I was actually surprised by many of the responses:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...in-the-us.html

The IS250 never had an improved manual and now there is no manual option at all. The IS350 and IS-F never had a manual option while BMW 335i's and 535i's have always had manual options.

Lexus would do well to make their LF-LC if they wish to but they should make another SC coupe to compete with the likes of Audi's A5. I can't keep track of how many times I've thought the A5 has a near timeless look in its current styling. I feel the same way about the 92-00 SC. And what price range are those A5's selling for? Certainly not $100k. Even the RS5 is only a $70k MSRP vehicle. That's the ballpark of what SC300/400's used to cost when adjusted for inflation.

Even with regulations, Toyota could come up with a small displacement turbocharged engine that would have the same power output as the 1JZ-GTE VVT-i Soarer engine. They could do it but the question is whether or not Lexus NA feels that such a powerplant is in line with their asinine "brand image". The overbuilt quality of the engines may or may not ever come to pass again. Toyota overbuilt the JZ design to compete with Nissan's overbuilt RB designs. Both companies spread the R&D costs by making many tame non-turbo JZ and RB sixes. Lexus just happened to benefit from some of that magic inadvertently.

Regulations MIGHT possibly make styling a coupe like the original SC difficult but I don't really think so. If Toyota and Subaru can come up with a car like the GT86/FR-S/BRZ then they could make a new SC if they wanted to.

The designer of the GT86 on the Toyota side is already working on a more powerful version of the small 2+2 RWD and also a new Supra. All that he's said about the latter is that it will not have a Prius-like hybrid drivetrain.

Toyota also needs to sell their Mark X in the USA. The Avalon is pitiful as a flagship.

Lexus I can only guess about but it's never been about whether they have what it takes to sway buyers who enjoy driving from buying German. It's about whether they even care about those buyers at all.

Do they still have it? With Akio Toyoda at the helm... maybe. But they need more than a GT86 and future Supra and MR2 (they are planning one of those as well) to make Toyota/Lexus interesting again.
Amen!

As I Read In Your Post that are cars place in different categories "Which Is more luxury than sport" but what people tend to forget is it can be made to handle somewhat nicely. They definitely perform now all i'm asking is why can't we have a better platform to build on from the get go not some weak power to weight ratio cars.

if Bmw can put some sport into all of there cars and i mean i've been a 2000 525i it had the handling but there wasn't the smooth power are 2j's offer.

give a luxury car for the enthusiast give us a car we want to drive they need to study a lot from the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track That is a proper 2dr it has power does handle and it even has a good ride. LEXUS TAKE NOTES!
Old 05-14-13, 08:26 PM
spurge

I dont want a new model of the sc300 to me it devalues the care, i like the fact that the sc300 stands out as a great car with damn near the best engine. Period.
Old 05-14-13, 08:54 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spurge
I dont want a new model of the sc300 to me it devalues the care, i like the fact that the sc300 stands out as a great car with damn near the best engine. Period.
EXACTLY
Old 05-14-13, 08:55 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a reply from Toyota (still awaiting Lexus' reply) ...

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your feedback because the only way we know what our customers are looking for is when they tell us, as you have. We try to scope out our customers in advance, by researching the market, conducting interviews, surveys, focus groups and doing our homework, but there's no better source than a Toyota owner who takes the time to tell us like it is.

We can't guarantee that a "Renaissance Vehicle" would be made, but your honest feedback may help us to evaluate different alternatives.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email by using the following link, http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html, or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM on Saturday.

Sincerely,
Anita Mouton
Toyota Customer Experience
Old 05-14-13, 09:09 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway
Good points kahn... Do they really care? That is the question and I guess they answered that question with the LFA but @ $300K+ i think it is clear they are letting Toyota deal with that. In all honesty the SC is not a good sports car. Coming from a Z33 & SR S14 the sc doesn't even compare. Now with that said the sc fills a void that the Z33 and S14 had which was comfort. I left those platforms to build a straight line monster that was comfy. I didn't want a corner karver or tougue beast. So i guess the question would be if they return to a comfy 2 seater since the FRS is the new corner karver \ tougue beast. Like most said the SC is unattainable to most new so i have a feeling guys aren't brawling in the board room to get a new sports car done by Lexus in the 30+-70K range
Thank you, Highway. Actually I've never thought of the SC/Soarer as a sports car. I've always felt it was a luxury muscle car. It sure does drive like a refined and yesteryear-luxurious Japanese interpretation of 60's muscle to me. One big difference though: EVERYTHING that is a caveat about the refinement in a 60's Detroit muscle car has been removed from SC/Soarers. Almost. We all know about the many small interior trim quirks but these are old cars now. I've owned a 60's Ford and that's the best way I can describe it. It's why I bought the car, other than that I knew I could add a lot of MKIV Supra hardware and planned to.

Not to offend anyone but when I got into mine at a used car dealer my first impression was the idea of a racy Buick coupe built by Toyota. I remembered test driving a used 1987 Grand National and of course it didn't have the power of the GN but the car felt similar in a way.

But the caveats you feel in a GN/T-Type's body you don't feel in an SC. Night and day difference of course. Difference being that an SC can actually handle very well like a GT tourer. Even stock you get that feeling at least with a 5-speed manual car.

More genuine sports cars act differently and I never felt the SC should be compared to the likes of a 370Z or Lotus. I feel there is a place for both in the car world.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-14-13 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-15-13, 01:54 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I'm not sure if Toyota still has it to be honest. Supposedly the IS-F has been cancelled and there still isn't an SC430 successor. I read that the LF-LC coupe might come into production but it's still a few years away. I think if they want to stay competitive with BMW, Audi, and Mercedes they need to bring out another SC. Toyota keeps coming up with cool concept cars but none of them have hit the production stage.

The FRS and LFA were a step in the right direction. The cancellation of the IS-F and SC was two steps back.
Just a heads up, the IS-F has not been cancelled. They are extening the current generation IS-F for another year, and eventually in a few years they will most likely have a new IS-F based on this newer generation of IS. The same way that the M5 for each generation tends to lag behind a few years from it's standard model.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/01/2...on-lexus-is-f/

Also the LF-LC has been confirmed for production. I've read that the expected release date is around 2017.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...duction-report

I'm currently looking forward to see what Toyota does with the two RWD performance coupes they are planning. The FR-S/GT86 was just the beginning, it's part of a plan for a three-tier performance coupe offering, with the FR-S being the slowest/cheapest.

Quick Reply: The Future Of The Sc's