SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

cut springs post?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-01, 07:36 PM
XX400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Didn't someone have a post concerning cut springs on his SC a couple days ago?
Old 03-19-01, 08:13 PM
FastSC300

Default hey

that was me..what's up?
Scot Hail
93 SC300 5-speed
Old 03-19-01, 09:06 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Angry cut coils...oops no coils

well this is what I actually did to my car...I cut four coils on each strut...and well since I had no coils left but a little circle I decided to take them things off...

:eek:

BTW ride is much unaffected I only feel certain grain particles from the street while driving at under 10 mph when letting off the gas. I can manage to still see from the rearview mirror if I hold it with both hands. Yeap my teeth are ok but went for an operation when one of my eyes came out of my eye socket for no apparent reason.

(bad bad bad I'm a bad boy)
J/K

Mind

Last edited by mindflux; 03-19-01 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-19-01, 09:16 PM
FastSC300

Default damn

you cuts too much my man!

SH
Old 03-19-01, 09:20 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

humm don't tell me you thought it was real?
Old 03-19-01, 09:33 PM
FastSC300

Default hey

I don't know....maybe you did

don't diss my work....it looks and handles great!

Scot Hail
Old 03-19-01, 10:05 PM
FastSC300

Default besides

actually.....I just got my hydros installed and it looks even better...it wont look finished until I gets my gold plated daytons on it (13x6 all the way around)....I cant wait to hit the hydros at 20mph! Hey mindflux..do you know where I can get some curb feelers?

SH
Old 03-20-01, 06:01 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would cutting springs 2" make the ride really harsh?
Old 03-20-01, 10:42 AM
FastSC300

Default reply to Lexusrules

hey
i think that all depends on the spring. It did stiffen up the ride a little bit, but with any lowering spring this will happen, and you want this, because if the spring was soft with the car lowered you would might rub on bumps or worse! Most springs have a progressive rate, even if you cut them...as the spring compresses it becomes harder and harder. So if you cut the spring, it will become naturally be a little stiffer from the start.

Cutting 2" off the spring????
that may be a little much, be careful...My **** sat high stock, I cut 1.5 off the spring and it dropped my **** good, luckily just how I wanted it! haha

Scot Hail
Old 03-20-01, 04:09 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default sorry scott

Not dissing your work. Actually I know it should work just that I thought it was funny how I worked on that picture to slam the car to the extreme...hey is the picture gone? well too bad

LexusRules, I don't think cutting the springs would make it "too harsh" if you compare that mod to lowering progressive coils you will notice that the aftermarket coils are actually stiffer but the way the coils are settup are design to increase stiffness as the coil is compressed. When factory coils are cut the softness or stiffness is preserved the only thing is that the coil will bottom out much faster than stock and thus it will be not progressive but more of a jolt when hitting a bump...so there is a major tradeback in aftermarket and cutting coils. It all depends on what you want.

Some folks nowdays swear that aftermarket lowering progressive coils are the only way to go, but actually it is not. Some race teams might even use stock coils for some cars cutting some of the coils and going to higher pressure shocks. But it depends and since most folks here don't want to be testing configurations it is left to personal and/or professional opinion. There is actually no perfect combo...coilovers for example are WAY to harsh but provide some serious performance due to the flexibility in adjustment.

Scott, Hey its all in good fun I'm not to diss anybody I just like to joke around. In my opinion I respect everything that you have accomplished, because like you I love to work on my car. In fact email me in order to talk so more..about the curb feelers...well I made mine with some coathangers and a bunch of duct tape. Heh heh...just kidding.

Take care.

mindflux90@hotmail.com
Old 03-20-01, 05:47 PM
FastSC300

Default hey dawg

it's all good, i didn't take it in a bad way.
it is true about after market springs. I had stated that all springs have a naturally progressive rate, being that as the spring is compressed it will become harder to compress, however, with after market spring rate is made to get harder(more stiffer) as it is compressed, thats' why eibachs rule for the track and racing setups.

I thought it was funny, my friend said that it would be bouncy, I thought nah, so I took the springs to a import tuner shop and asked them to cut them and they said the same thing. Well, i actually did some thinking and did not believe the theory, especially in my case.....so i did it.

If i come across some eibachs i will buy them and compare the two.

Anyways...i'll take two sets of the feelers
Old 03-20-01, 09:43 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Exclamation

deleted due to ignorance

Last edited by JBrady; 03-23-01 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-20-01, 10:08 PM
FastSC300

Default reply

i cant argue, as I think about it, i can not disprove anything you just said.

damn

feeling wise though: it does FEEL stiffer, I feel the road more and handles more precisely. but hey what do i know

SH
Old 03-20-01, 10:20 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, lowering a car will create a lower center of gravity and that will improve handling. It will also USUALLY improve the aerodynamics of the car. Years ago I had a turbocharged 2.3 liter Thunderbird that I had raised the boost on. I was at an 1/8th mile track south of Ft.Worth and another TurboTBird was there with CUT springs (in the weeds). His car was at stock boost and ran apx 10.2 seconds vs my 10 flat. Funny though, with his better aerodynamics he ran 83mph to my 80mph. Thats significant to overcome my apx 25hp advantage and run FASTER!
Old 03-20-01, 10:46 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

hmm my car is about that low =) and it still rides like stock... gotta love TEIN =)

-brian
team koncept racing
hyper racing
houston, tx

'92 veilside rsp sc300
'01 stock silver is300

Quick Reply: cut springs post?