SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Got my SC300, Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 02:24 PM
PhilthySC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my SC300, Now what?

After some patient waiting I picked up my SC300 today. It is a 1992 and a manual. Only has 76k on it and was owned by one elderly woman who took great care of the car other than some minor damage from hitting her garage. It was always garaged and the interior and engine are amazingly clean for its age. I paid $4500 and think it was a fair price. This is going to be my daily driver for my 20 minute ride to work.

So here are my concerns and things I would like to fix. Any advice on what I should do first and where to go for info would be awesome.

Headlight Condensation, have done some quick research, really do not want to do any baking in an oven, will drilling a small hole help? I am in South Florida so the humidity is high most of the time.

Paint/Body at first I wasnt a fan of the color but a friend at work made a good point that it is a good Florida color because it is light and won't heat up as bad as black or green. I want to keep the car gold and get the body fixed. The paint looks good in most spots other than on the bumper and plastic body parts.

Speedo is broken, only goes to 35 mph and then stays there, LEDs are going in the cluster. I was looking at Lextech.org and they have a service that can repair the speedo and the lighting. Anyone use them before? I am nervous about removing the cluster because I don't want to break anything.

Rims- I really dont like these wheels but the tires have a lot of life left, but after they are done I think Id like to go up to a 16 or 17 gold BBS RS.

I need the SC300 badge for the trunklid.

Couple other minor things but for the most part the car is in amazing shape and I love the sound of the I6.

I am in Jupiter Florida, if there's any other South Florida members, hit me up!

Im going to post some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Got my SC300, Now what?-profile.jpg   Got my SC300, Now what?-engine.jpg   Got my SC300, Now what?-headlight-moisture.jpg   Got my SC300, Now what?-quarter-damage.jpg   Got my SC300, Now what?-rims.jpg  

Old 03-05-13, 02:26 PM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Nice pick up. I just picked up a 93 with 80k black/tan 5spd for $3500.
Old 03-05-13, 02:31 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice find. Whats with the injector wires? With as clean as the car is, I can honestly say I would have the damages repaired properly, get all the maintenance done, and leave it stock and drive it every-other weekend and when the time comes, register it as a classic.
Old 03-05-13, 03:19 PM
PhilthySC3
Driver School Candidate

Default More pics

Im guessing the injector wires are those red ones? Should they not be like that?

Also came with a sweet 1992 car phone and the Lexus 1st Aid Kit!

Anyone know a reasonable paint/body shop in Northern Palm Beach County?
Attached Thumbnails Got my SC300, Now what?-interior-front.jpg   Got my SC300, Now what?-cluster.jpg   Got my SC300, Now what?-need-badge.jpg   Got my SC300, Now what?-interior-rear.jpg  
Old 03-05-13, 04:03 PM
BSanders22
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very clean pickup, overall! Fix the few minor things and you've got a great start! I think these cars look goofy with small wheels, 17's are about as small as I'd go, or do some custom RS's with 18" step-lips. Sitting low, it should look great! And I'm amazed for a 21 year old car, how low-mileage that is.
Old 03-05-13, 04:21 PM
PhilthySC3
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Yah I originally was in the market for something a little more practical (RSX Type S/ Celica GTS) with a hatchback to haul my kiteboard gear. I always liked the SCs and this one was close by so I went and checked it out and threw practicality out the window. Before this car I have owned a couple BMWs so RWD inline 6 layout is a favorite of mine. Not to mention it was way cheaper than an RSX/Celica just because of its age.

Definitely need to get bigger wheels but I am going to at least burn through these tires before I do, like the BBS RS but would consider something else as long as its gold.
Old 03-05-13, 04:33 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by PhilthySC3
Yah I originally was in the market for something a little more practical (RSX Type S/ Celica GTS) with a hatchback to haul my kiteboard gear. I always liked the SCs and this one was close by so I went and checked it out and threw practicality out the window. Before this car I have owned a couple BMWs so RWD inline 6 layout is a favorite of mine. Not to mention it was way cheaper than an RSX/Celica just because of its age.

Definitely need to get bigger wheels but I am going to at least burn through these tires before I do, like the BBS RS but would consider something else as long as its gold.
Awesome Find!! Congrats!
They look great without any badges at all!
Selling the stock wheels with good tires will get you more money to put into your BBS sooner ;-)
(But i'm pretty sure you considered that)

Don't drill those lights. Bake, open, re-seal. Or let a body shop or another experienced member do it.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 03-05-13 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 05:51 PM
PhilthySC3
Driver School Candidate

Default lights

How hard are the lights to remove and re-install? Do I have to take off the whole grill?

Also live in a condo complex where one of the rules is, NO WORKING ON YOUR CAR IN THE PARKING AREA! There's plenty of retirees that enforce the rules too
Old 03-05-13, 06:29 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty great start! 76k and manual! Awesome pickup! Congrats!
Old 03-05-13, 06:34 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

It it were me, I would swap out the wheels with another SC OEM style. Also, add a lip spoiler to the trunk and get the body repaired. NICE CAR!
Old 03-05-13, 06:34 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pick up.
Old 03-05-13, 06:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

How hard are the lights to remove and re-install? Do I have to take off the whole grill?

Also live in a condo complex where one of the rules is, NO WORKING ON YOUR CAR IN THE PARKING AREA! There's plenty of retirees that enforce the rules too
Turn wheel, unbolt top of splash guard and pull back. Reach in with extended socket. Unbolt 2 bolts from behind light. Then get the 2 bolts in engine bay and wiggle them out. Minutes.

Link to DIY/pictures HERE.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 03-05-13 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 07:03 PM
PhilthySC3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link! I think I could handle that. Is it necesarry to completely unseal and reseal the headlights or could I dry them out and put a thin coat of sealant over the original?

Also has anyone used lextech.org to get your LEDs replaced and/or speedo repaired?

Thanks for all the compliments!
Old 03-05-13, 07:28 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the link! I think I could handle that. Is it necesarry to completely unseal and reseal the headlights or could I dry them out and put a thin coat of sealant over the original?

Also has anyone used lextech.org to get your LEDs replaced and/or speedo repaired?

Thanks for all the compliments!
Yours need to be opened, cleaned and re sealed. May as well find OLT's headlight DIY and polish projectors etc.
Old 03-05-13, 08:09 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice pick up. I personally like the gold. Theres one on here lowered on some 19's I believe and it looks sweet.

Quick Reply: Got my SC300, Now what?