SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just supercharged my SC4

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 07:05 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well the proof arrived and it arrived quite nicely I might add. The thing should run very well for the size of supercharger you chose. Keep us posted on the dyno and a few videos.

You should have made a DIY on this thing, made the thread so much more fun to read and go AHHHHHHH !! LOL
Old 08-01-12, 07:27 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k7q
what kind of radiator are you running?
I would like to know too
Old 08-01-12, 09:10 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koyo Radiator for Supra. Fits perfect, and made a huge difference in cooling. I took her on her maiden voyage, seems like the front crank seal stopped leaking for some reason lol. I thought it ran out of oil lol.

So I drove her to Waco (sixty miles away), and no problems, temp spiked a little to two hundred twenty, but went back down.

Taurus fan plus Koyo radiator is an awesome combo.

So I'm rocking a W58 with a 3.26, so at seventy miles an hour, my RPM's sit around 2200 or so. Before, to get some speed I'd have to go WOT for a really long time, or down shift.

Today, I just gave her some throttle and she was shucking and jiving! I have no boost gauge so I have no idea what the boost is at, at that point, but man totally woke the car up!
Old 08-06-12, 02:52 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Well, the crank seal still isn't leaking, I've covered OVER 500 miles and still not leaking. It's funny because it was leaking a little prior, now it's not leaking at all.

I got my intercooler on, but I didn't take for account the shroud underneath. I know that SC400TT had an issue with overheating and it was because of not having his under panel shroud. I also know he grabbed another one, cut part of it off to extend it out, I may have to do this. I'll do some more testing to see if she'll over heat or not.

Speaking of which, prior to the FMIC, I would see about 223 in temps for a few seconds, then it would drop down to about 215, rinse and repeat on the highway with A/C on full blast. So far so good.

I'm still waiting on my boost gauge and wideband to make it to see how much boost I'm making, and of course how lean she gets under boost. I have my FMU here ready to install but I would rather not install it if I didn't need it. I know a lot of guys recommend the 12:1 FMU on 8 PSI, I also know guys who run the 12:1 and run super rich. So if I can run a 10, 8:1 FMU that's what I would rather do.

I get a little bucking when cruising at the 2200 range for some reason, but I think that's due to the hot temps the KMV sensor is seeing, so hopefully the intercooler fixes that, or helps alleviate it.

And then I need to make some kind of manual tensioner for my car, I get belt squeal like a ****.
Old 08-06-12, 03:07 PM
TexLexSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 08-06-12, 04:53 PM
BradHoff
Driver

supercharged? or turbocharged
Old 08-06-12, 05:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow this project is turning out great!
Old 08-06-12, 07:24 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Well the proof arrived and it arrived quite nicely I might add. The thing should run very well for the size of supercharger you chose. Keep us posted on the dyno and a few videos.

You should have made a DIY on this thing, made the thread so much more fun to read and go AHHHHHHH !! LOL
LoL, I just read this sorry I missed your post.

It's pretty easy, remove hydro fan, remove the right three studs completely. Install LS4 fan bracket, put fish bracket on, put in three long bolts for the three studs you removed.

Brad: It's supercharged.

Hoovey: Thanks much, I'm going to do my manual tensioner tomorrow, and a coolant that I sprung from the water neck, so far so good. My other two gauges should be in Friday, I have no idea where I'm going to mount them though ha ha.
Old 08-06-12, 08:08 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the boosted SC4! It's a beast now. As regarding to FMU, it's not running rich if it's not boosting. The FMU only enriches the fuel under boost. I had it before and I also had a wideband A/F guage to monitor it. Under full boost, the A/F is only around 11, which is about right for all boosted motors. On cruising, it's about 15. If you hook up a wideband A/F, then you can monitor it. If the car runs too powerful, it may not be 100% good. It may be too lean and makes the most power. But it won't last.
Old 08-07-12, 05:50 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Steve, I know how the FMU works, but I do know on my MKIII (when it had a 1uz turbo) it ran crazy rich without the FMU. I'm trying to see where it's at, also I'm waiting on my boost gauge to know how much boost I'm actually running with the pulley, belt slippage, and intercooler.

I found a few leaks yesterday from the upper water neck that goes into the bypass. Lexus came through with the new seals today, I replaced it, and it's good to go. Pretty amazing that this car has already hit 300,000 miles on the clock, and only has small things wrong with it.

About two years ago (or was it three?) I did the head gaskets, and before I bought the supercharger I decided to do a leak down and compression test. IIRC, the leakage was about five percent, and compression was at one seventy five to one eighty. I'm hoping this motor makes it to the 400,000 mark as I don't plan to do anything super crazy with it.

Anyway, so driving around today in town, my temps spiked to 230, which I had never seen before, but still reasonable for the 100+ degree weather we're having plus with A/C and sitting still, but so far so good. 230 is pretty acceptable.

I may still fabricate the under shroud, but I know when I put her to the test on Thursday night/ Friday morning when I drive to Waco and back.

So what's left on the list? Install wideband, boost gauge, FMU. Figure out how to install oil cooler, make a manual tensioner for the auto tensioner. Pray that it stops the belt slippage, if not, install brackets to the supercharger to keep it from moving. I might even try a slightly shorter belt.

Get rid of ABS and Trac is on the list, and that may be the thing I do first. My rear caliper is griding (not releasing), I replaced it, and it's still doing the same thing. After I changed the caliper, my brake pedal would shudder when I came to a stop (though stopping distance didn't change), and a few times of that, the ABS light comes on, then the brake pedal feels normal. I plan to order the two brake tees from the corolla, and get rid of the ABS and TRAC the way KC95SC400 did (since he mentioned if he could do it over he would have just ordered the tees and it would have worked fine).

It sucks cause I like ABS and TRAC, but bleeding it did nothing at all, and my Accumulator has made a funny noise every now and again for the past few years.

A few people have asked me about the W58. Allow me to give you some history on this magically W58. I had a MKIII supra that was originally turbo. I bought the car was with rod knock. Did the 2JZGET w/ 7m electronics, then the motor rod knocked to death. Car was hella slow and boring, so I figured I'd got GTTE. Did that for awhile, sold my setup. At the time I had this SC (the one I'm working on now) the supra, but my eyes got caught on a S2000. Sold the SC to my uncle in law for a down payment on the S2000.

I had a spare 1UZ engine sitting around in case the motor on the SC went (was running a hundred shot through it for fun), but the motor never went. All these guys were swapping 1UZ's into MKIII, and the ONLY conversion that was relatively easy to get was the W58. The stars all lined up, and the Supra gets into a love story involving a 1uz, w58, and a HX35. [I bought this W58 from some guy that had it on CL in Houston. He didn't know the condition of it, but said that it shifted pretty well. So I took his word for it, threw it in the supra with some redline fluids, and it was good to go. Fast forward a year later and poor ole Supra gets killed in a fight with an 18 Wheeler (man the supra did some damage to that poor eighteen wheeler). So my daily became my S2000.

I beat the hell outta the Supra man. I towed my friends ford ranger out of the mud after he got stock. I moved to another apartment using the supra to tow a small trailer. The supra was like a small truck/el camino thing to me. If I could have made a supra truck, I would have. The W58 never let me down. So I parted out the car as best as I could, and I was about to sell the manual swap but then I got hella lucky and my uncle in law, decided that his 350Z would become his full duty track car, so he bought a 370Z for his new daily, and a miata to practice with while he turned the Z into a full blown track car. So he sells me the SC BACK to me for what I sold it to him for.

It took me a long time to part the MKIII out, and decided, why the hell not? I was tired of people flaking on buying the manual conversion, I was able to sell my motor set without the transmission (by this time the R154 swap came out and was readily available). I'll go manual on the SC and leave it as that. Drove the SC for awhile with the W58 + 3.26 rear, I was getting 400+ miles to the tank, but it feels soooo slow and boring and here I am now.

Last edited by ihiryu; 08-07-12 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 01:06 PM
sc300max
Rookie

I don't understand why your engine is getting so hot... Im running the stock radiator with maxima fans.. The highest I get during the day 100 degrees outside is 197 ac on.. ac off 187... at night around 176 idling. Do you still have your thermostat? If you don't have it I would recommend putting some kind of restriction on in the housing. What I usually do is take the guts out of the thermostat and put the shell in inside the housing.

I think the radiator you installed is making the car over heat because its not getting a chance to cool down the water, so the water might be passing too fast across the radiator.

Just an idea...

Plus I have a lot more heat around the front of my engine because that's where the turbo is.

I like the supercharger a lot its going to run really good. What are you controlling fuel and timing with?

If I do another 1uzfe I would love to try the rotrex (hks) super charger.
Old 08-08-12, 01:19 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BradHoff
supercharged? or turbocharged
supercharged just like the title states and the pics show..
Old 08-08-12, 01:30 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen a supercharger like that. I'm used to seeing the ones that sit on top of the motor. This looks like a turbo but I guess its a supercharger. Have fun with the car! Sounds like you know how to enjoy cars.
Old 08-08-12, 03:09 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=sc300max;7409771 SNIP[/QUOTE]

I have a thermostat, I always use a thermostat. Actually prior to the supercharger, and all this, my car stayed about where yours is. I think a few things come into play: 1)Supercharger (this thing makes my engine bay super hot), 2) I got the wrong year taurus fan so the shroud doesn't fit perfectly, 3) not being able to put my under shroud on, and 4) the big *** intercooler is in the way.

Once I figure out how to plumb the oil cooler, the temps will drop down dramatically.

As of right now, I'm on stock everything, just the blower bolted on. I will be using AEM F/IC in the future, or my Adaptronic if I could find someone to set it up, and tune it, I was really hoping to sell the Adaptronic and PNP harness though, I'm not trying to make a lot of power, this is still my DD.

So today, my car has ruined another KMV sensor. My car bucks and shakes and it's gotten progressively worse now. What's happening the silicone is getting blown out (literally). I'm going to grab another one at the yard and epoxy it and see if that helps. At this point and time I do not see a way to reroute the KMV sensor to make it a pull through set up.

I don't mind extending the wires at all, the biggest problem is room, or lack thereof rather.
Old 08-08-12, 05:17 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

suscribed. never seen a centrifigal supercharger (belt driven turbo) on a 1uz. curious to see what it puts down.

Quick Reply: Just supercharged my SC4