SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sunroof wind

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 11:26 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=t2d2;8613035]This is the best thread I found as far as pics and additional description of the process:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...s-sunroof.html

Originally Posted by t2d2
I'm hoping it will make more sense when I pull the glass out, but the description(s) makes it sound as if the fix is to add a [layer of tape] gap between the glass and weatherstrip so as to push the weatherstrip up more flush with the roof, rather than pushing the glass itself up, which I thought is what the shims part is all about. That doesn't seem ideal to me, as the weatherstripping is designed for exposure to the elements and the tape may or may not be.
that is what i was thinking off too if you figure it out T2D2 please post a pic , must be allot of owners having the same problem without knowing there is a "easy " fix for it
Old 07-07-14, 11:35 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to take some pix when I get home and it gets cooler. The double-sided tape goes in between the inside part of the sunroof gasket and the outer wall of the glass. Once you pull the sunroof, it's the only place that will have any play at all.
And the point of the tape is to 'fatten' the gasket and by extension the sunroof and therefore more fully fills the roof opening. The gasket, which by now is old and dry and shrunken, is allowing air to get between it and the roof and creates the wind noise. Air will get in wherever is can. And wherever it does it,at speed, will be the noise we all hear.
Old 07-07-14, 11:52 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Oh, so the weatherstripping has a hollowed out space inside it that the tape goes and pushes/expands it up, but still allows the lip of the weatherstrip to be flush against the glass?
Old 07-07-14, 03:19 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

oh, so the weatherstripping has a hollowed out space inside it that the tape goes and pushes/expands it up, but still allows the lip of the weatherstrip to be flush against the glass?
bingo. Winnuh winnuh chicken dinnuh.
Old 07-07-14, 06:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^^^ Sweet, thanks. I picked up another roll of double sided tape today, since I only had enough for maybe one edge. Maybe I'll try pulling the glass out tomorrow.
Old 07-08-14, 02:05 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

It doesn't need to be more than a half-inch thick when you wedge it in there. I couldn't find that so bought a one-inch role and sliced it. Ended up using almost the whole role.....both sides.

It must be said. THIS IS NOT A CURE. But wind noise has reduced so drastically from the area that
1. I appreciate the new quiet and certainly don't regret doing it and...
2. I recognize now that what most of us are probably hearing is a combination of noise from the sunroof AND the door seals (next issue to tackle) cause I can hear that even better now.
Old 07-08-14, 02:21 PM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
It doesn't need to be more than a half-inch thick when you wedge it in there. I couldn't find that so bought a one-inch role and sliced it. Ended up using almost the whole role.....both sides.

It must be said. THIS IS NOT A CURE. But wind noise has reduced so drastically from the area that
1. I appreciate the new quiet and certainly don't regret doing it and...
2. I recognize now that what most of us are probably hearing is a combination of noise from the sunroof AND the door seals (next issue to tackle) cause I can hear that even better now.
Just cut down the wind noise from my doors last weekend about 95%. I used some long round weather stripping from home depot and fed it through the rubber door seals. Real easy...have a one more area around the door to seal to be 100

Last edited by 962jzsc415; 07-08-14 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 10:14 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 962jzsc415
Just cut down the wind noise from my doors last weekend about 95%. I used some long round weather stripping from home depot and fed it through the rubber door seals. Real easy...have a one more area around the door to seal to be 100
what do you mean by fed it through? inside the seals?
Old 07-08-14, 11:00 PM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
what do you mean by fed it through? inside the seals?
With the drivers door open top right corner of the door seal/weather stripping there was a tear. I gently fed the home depot round weather strip through
Old 07-09-14, 01:51 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I got this done today. Yet to be highway tested for quietness, though. A few comments and tips:

1) It's stupid easy to remove the glass. Don't be intimidated by this step, it's just four 10mm nuts and it lifts off. Hell, it's probably easier to do that any time you want to clean the glass than it is to work above your head in wax-on, wax-off strokes!

2) I stared at the removed glass like an idiot for a few minutes before figuring this out... You aren't adding tape between the glass and weatherstripping, rather between the latter and the outside perimeter of the glass' frame. The weatherstrip is very well sealed to the glass and would presumably be ruined by trying to lift it up. The loose pocket from drying out is around the perimeter.

3) Double-sided tape really isn't necessary, if you can find single-sided puffy tape. I started peeling the backing off on my first cut, then realized it would be absolutely impossible as such to get it in the pocket. There's no reason why it needs to be adhered to the metal frame, so just put the sticky side against the pocket in the weatherstripping.

4) Cut short pieces to make life easier. (Cutting that stuff lengthwise gunks up scissors like nobody's business.) You aren't trying to make it water tight, so there's no need for long strips that will get tangled up while you work.

5) If possible, use black tape. I used white tape and it's visible from below. Not a big deal, though, as you never really look up there.

6) I found it worked well to use a jeweller's screwdriver to help guide the tape down into the pocket.

7) I have no idea how this is a 10-15 minute job. Mine took more like 90 minutes.

8) I don't understand the comments about this process setting the weatherstripping's height relative to roof level, as all it's adjusting is girth. (Unless I've totally misunderstood and wasted my time with the above!) The height adjustment is all about the shims. I moved one of my middle shims (there are three bolt holes on each side, but the middle ones are unused; yet there are shims there that don't necessarily snug down) to a front corner, since once side had two shims and the other side just one, and that got it closer to level. Not perfect, though, so I may readjust with thinner washers.

9) Post #6 in this thread mentioned there being strips of tape in there to widen the weatherstripping -- what I referred to as girth -- but mine only had it in one corner. I'm guessing a previous owner added that, as it wouldn't make much sense for Lexus to apply it nowhere else.
Old 07-09-14, 08:45 PM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Just did mine and the wind noise is 90% less annoying and it also resolved my rattle up there when in the closed position (while going over bumps). A few more adjustments tomorrow to see if I can get get better results.
Old 07-09-14, 11:22 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

pictures anyone? i'm gonna try to do this tomorrow as well
Old 07-10-14, 09:18 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I got some extensive highway testing in today, and if there was any improvement in wind noise, it was too negligible to measure. Unless I totally misinterpreted what's supposed to be padded with the tape?
Old 07-10-14, 10:41 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

I got some extensive highway testing in today, and if there was any improvement in wind noise, it was too negligible to measure. Unless I totally misinterpreted what's supposed to be padded with the tape?
lol so i'll disregard your steps
Old 07-11-14, 08:10 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you... If I did it wrong, then someone really needs to do a better job explaining the process. No offense to those who have tried! The only other thing I can imagine is peeling the entire weatherstrip up over the glass from around the outer perimeter, but I'd be very surprised if it has that kind of play in it, let alone enough to not do irreparable damage in the process.

Quick Reply: Sunroof wind