SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1992-2000 Lexus SC V-Speed Widebody Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 11:37 PM
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you're speaking my language. I have always been a major fan of wind tunnel tested and improved body modifications. Lingenfelter, TechArt, Mugen, Callaway, and all the others who actually take the time to make the car cut the air and stick to the ground better.
Old 01-11-13, 05:35 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Dude wind tunnel tested kit. Are you a pro race car driver really. Why who cares it is for looks. Idk any sc running in major races here besides drifting and I don't think that's going to help them and I know what's coming next air flow design to the engine. Ok is your car now overheating probly not it's fine. I just want proper fitment. Why are we not using injection molds? Vertex if a form of frp I believe now I don't care what type of frp it is still sucks. Injection poly molds work. What's the cost look like compared to frp?
Old 01-11-13, 07:43 AM
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

Since when does one have to be a pro race car driver to prefer aerodynamic stability at high speeds. Don't know what the scene is like where you're at, but down here, races generally start at 80mph, especially where small engine/big turbo cars are concerned. I'm not going to say that a wind tunnel tested body kit is necessary for this, but if you're gonna lay out some major cash for one, it's certainly better to have one that helps.

Air flow management to the drivetrain heat exchangers will have more to do with what goes on under the body work than the body work itself.

Injection poly molding is unfortunately the most expensive method of making body components on a small-scale basis, so I don't see that happening anytime soon. Could it be done for a reasonable price to the consumer? Probably. Would profit margins suffer compared to the current process? Probably.
Old 01-11-13, 08:08 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

I just think it is overkill to make a kit like that for a street car.
Old 01-11-13, 08:12 AM
sc400ka
Pole Position

MKIVS374- your correct about the style aspect of the kit. however

BANGARANGX- your correct as well with the thought process of the aero kit.

however every state has it's own style of driving. which is the reason why i like going to new events like IFO. get so many different cars in one area. hope to see plenty of great cars this year considering this is my first year i might be able to go.
Old 01-11-13, 01:59 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wide body kit is going to be looked over as of now by our production team
Old 01-11-13, 08:09 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BangarangX
Now you're speaking my language. I have always been a major fan of wind tunnel tested and improved body modifications. Lingenfelter, TechArt, Mugen, Callaway, and all the others who actually take the time to make the car cut the air and stick to the ground better.
Exactly; and the thing is, not everybody has the same goals in mind.
Some people wanna cruise, and look cool only; others want a show car, and some want something else. Y'know what I want? I want a 200mph Sc300 ... So I better have some good stuff, done right, so my a** doesn't get killed!
MKIVS374- You're right, Im not a "professional racer", but I am a pilot, so pardon me for having a good sense about the importance of functionality and form, in regards to design. If I fly a plane, and something fails, theres no "shoulder" to pull over on; I JUST DIE. Thats it. Game over.
Same with a super-car, which in this case, if you build a 200mph car, or a 1000hp car (whatever), I think that qualifies as being a "super-car" IMHO.
Im not just gonna slap on a giant turbo, and push it to wherever the needle will go, 'cus I think "Aw it's a Supra/Lexus/Whatever, it can do it! The gauges go up to 160!" Pfff, no way; I need to be certain that everything works as it should, every time, and that each part serves a significant purpose. Lastly, it only up's the value of the car as well; 'cus theres nothing that doesn't belong, or is seemingly unnecessary (mechanically) on the car. It's a selling point (tho I wouldn't sell my Sc); I can say "This does this, that does that, and this if for this..." While confidently saying so.
I want a car I can trust will be as safe as possible (at those speeds) because it was designed appropriately. I mean, you don't know whats gonna happen w/ your body kit at 180mph; I've seen body-kits that from they eye-alone, clearly produce lift from the bottom-end, like a virtual air-foil.
That can even happen with cars that "are" designed correctly ... Thats just what I need; for my car to rise into the air, and flip-over at 150 on the turnpike :\
Proper flow-over's important; I don't think Im being ridiculous.

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-11-13 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 08:46 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
Wide body kit is going to be looked over as of now by our production team
Heres the problem with wide-bodies on SC's ... (I feel like such a PITA, Im sorry haha; Im terribly opinionated, admittedly).
They're cool, no doubt about that, BUT, the Sc is a very special car in regards to design.
It was based on "emotion", and "feeling", it was one of the few production cars of its time to be designed with curvature, as opposed to the many boxy-style cars of the day (1991-'92).
I mean, it's look is really what makes it. Its such a uniquely beautiful car ...
That said, it's really hard to have a wide-body Sc because that then changes the look of the whole car. It's not like a Supra, or a 350Z where wide or not, it's "still" a Supra, or 350Z; it looks the same overall (Think Top Secret Widebody, or TRD Widebody).

Widening the Sc, changes the entire aesthetic of the car, and it's really no longer an Sc.
For example: The strike-thru along the side - When you bulge-out the quarter-panels, that streamline gets interrupted. The cars finesse is lost ...
Theres gotta be some way to retain its original beauty, while still enhancing its downforce, and improving it's stance/stability (if you're to go wide).
I don't have the answer, Im just sayin' ... Haha, sorry.

Look at this sleakness ...

Versus this hour-glass ...

Granted, this ^ is a beautiful car, no doubt about that; but I think its the paint-job that does more for it, than the body kit.

Im gonna brainstorm about this, I wanna help you guys (all of us).
I'll see what I can do.

Although! Maybe if you "do" change the overall look of the car, it could be improved as though introducing a whole "new" car; for example the Supra Ab-Flug design ... That things a whole 'nuther Supra altogether. If you went that route, then okay; its lost it's original appeal as an Sc, but its compensated by the appeal of this entirely killer body style.

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-11-13 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 10:26 PM
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

Right there is the S900 Conclusion model that I was supposed to pay $25k+shipping to/from Japan.

It's a package that would have come with some serious bragging rights though. All these people who boast about having brought a car from Japan; well what if you had a car that went to Japan and came back? LOL.
Old 01-11-13, 11:24 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about that orange and black RX7 Hans' drove in Tokyo Drift... The RX7 got sleak, nice curves like the SC. But that Veilside bodykit change that RX7 to another car. I seriously thought it was a modded Vette up until I notice it was smaller... Tokyo drift, so theres no vette that can pull that off... and it's in Japan. Looked it up and holy ****!
Old 01-11-13, 11:31 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EDIT...... nvm

Last edited by iridebmx; 01-11-13 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 01:24 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheAzn
How about that orange and black RX7 Hans' drove in Tokyo Drift... The RX7 got sleak, nice curves like the SC. But that Veilside bodykit change that RX7 to another car. I seriously thought it was a modded Vette up until I notice it was smaller... Tokyo drift, so theres no vette that can pull that off... and it's in Japan. Looked it up and holy ****!
Good call!

That RX-7's WICKED, and thats exactly what Im talking about; a kit that makes a whole new SC (keep the headlights/highs tho) ...
Is that Veilside kit made of Carbon Fiber?

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-13-13 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-13-13, 06:59 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

No words for this
Old 01-13-13, 04:13 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by MKIVS374
No words for this
Why a facepalm?
Old 01-13-13, 08:01 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

I just wish v-speed could make wide body fenders with no vents. Front and rear please.

Quick Reply: 1992-2000 Lexus SC V-Speed Widebody Kit