SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 02:52 AM
Akap951
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hi!

hi everyone,

I’ve been a member for the past week and been trying to figuerout the navigation on the website and get familiar with it so yeah, now I’m here to say hi... HII! =)

my name is ahmad and live in Moreno Valley, CA.

3 weeks ago, I bought an automatic 98 sc300 fully stock with 270k for the purpose of doing a 2jzgte swap.

The cars body is in great shape and engine was running perfect, never been in an accident , but all suspension bushing and struts are toast which I will be replacing all.

Since this is my first build ever, I did a lot of research for the previous 5 month to see where I want to go with this build. With all the intense research for months, seems like when it came down to it I change my plan about 4 times,lol
i planned on doing most of the work myself so i can study and learn everything thats involved with the 2jz swap and be able to do more swaps after a lot easier.

my goal is high 500s.

What I bought for the swap:

2jzgte out of an aristo (need to figure out what year aristo it came out of for wiring purposes, or if they are all the same)
all tuneup parts for engine---seals,spark plugs, belts etc..
R154+slav+master+line with a pressure sensor+speedo gear &VVS+flywheel
AEM Infinity with almost every add on you can get.
e85 kit
fuel rail +returnline
1000cc injectors
fuel pump
stage 3.5 clutch
1 piece driveshaft (have to report dimensions before i get it)
manual pedal kit

things i need to get or arrange/buy/figure out
exhaust
intercooler
oil cooler??
transmission cooler??
traction and transmission wiring and all the good stuff
WIRING F%&ING HARNESS!!!!!!!

you can tell the only thing thats buggin me is the wiring, i still dont know what im going to do with it, iv been trying to get specifics on pinouts for my car and the aristo that i got and exactly what i need to change.
i know a guy that completly ditched the 2jzgte harness and used his original harness on his IS without doing anything other then shortning or extending some wires since the sensor are in different location, im praying that i can do the same with my sc but looking at everyone that did a 2jzgte swap into their sc ,, IDK =(

anyways,, so hello to everyone
thats me and thats the mess im in right now

feel free to shoot any thought or advice my way, weather on the swap im doing or this website as im still learning my way around it
Happy to be a part of this community

Last edited by Akap951; 05-20-18 at 03:52 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 05-23-18, 07:59 PM
FabianLSC3
Driver School Candidate

Whats up my names Fabian. I'm 22, I have a 95 SC300 ive owned it for about 5 years its taken me about 4 to get it to where it is now i love these cars. its dropped on B29 coils. It has Infinity Refrence speakers in the front with kappas in the rear one 12 Rockford Fosegate power p2 sub in the trunk a Kenwood double din stereo. It has OEM skirts and a aftermarket rear lip idk the exact name of it so my bad for that! The car sits on 18" JNC wheels. I've straight piped the car(still has the catalytic converter) so the exhaust tips look different then the stock ones the car has on the pictures i'm going put on here. I'm looking into doing a 2jz-gte with manuel transmission swap so i'm about to spend a lot of time digging threw **** tons of threads and picking at some of the lexus vets brains lol.

Old 05-28-18, 12:49 AM
longmk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus SC400 '92
Old 06-06-18, 12:09 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

It's so weird to be back on CL again. I joined CL almost 16 years ago and have had way too many cars after I got rid of my 1st gen GS.

Here's a quick pic of my new project

Vehicle: 1992 SC300 (auto)
Suspension: Tein Advance Z
Wheels: Old school Racinghart CR's
Plans: All kinds of fun things

Old 06-07-18, 12:51 PM
DaBwyan61
Driver School Candidate

Default Back in the Lexus game with a 95 5-speed

Hey all! Finally getting around to making a post after putting it off for a little bit...

After months of closely watching searchtempest/craigslist and other car websites, I finally jumped on the opportunity to purchase a factory 5-speed SC300. I hit the search button at just the right time and caught the ad minutes after it got posted. So I greyhounded up to it and drove it on home. She's not perfect, but for 335,000 miles she's in really good running condition. Bought it from a guy who works at a Lexus dealership and knew the original owner since he would bring the car in. The original owner was absolutely religious about maintenance and the carfax showed it, so I had faith in the 2JZ getting me home. The original owner would often drive from the midwest to the east coast to visit family which is likely why the miles went up quick. All of the electronics seem to work properly minus one light in the dash near the 90mph mark on the speedo. Some surface rust here and there on the sides and a dent or two but overall in a relatively clean condition. The A/C was blowing cold until yesterday (luckily this isn't my primary car, that's what the 2011 Speed3 is for) so I'll have to look into that as well as waiting for my new shifter bushing to come in since shifting can be weird.

GOALS
  • 400whp range (that'll probably go up in time, we all have that itch for more)
  • Daily drivability. I love to just cruise and I have a 30 minute commute each way that's all open interstate/country highways perfect for a car like this. Track days are cool, but really I just want something that's street-able and fun to take to C&C on Saturdays.
  • Retain sleeper status. The vast majority of people on the road would never expect a 23 year old Lexus to blow their doors off.
IDEAS

Before I got the car I was fishing around for ideas from different places like here and different subreddits and there's always points made from every side. Some say 1JZ, some say NA-T, others say 2JZ-GTE, CD009 stuff and so on. One thing is for sure is that I want to go fast.

1JZ
This route is definitely the one I have researched the most and seems like it would be a good overall learning experience pulling one engine out and throwing a (relatively) new one in. I've also been leaning towards 1JZ because of the miles on the current 2JZ. However, a Soarer 1JZ (preferably with a tripod R154) in decent shape is getting more difficult to find since I want to try and make it as PnP as possible. Finding an auto and then getting an R154 can also be an option since there are a few reasonably priced tripod R154's near me. CD009 also seems like a strong option since the full collins kit + used CD009 seems to be a good deal when compared to 1JZ + R154 + supporting bits (clutch, drivehaft, etc...). I've heard others say "keep the W58 it'll shift smoother than the truck transmission of an R154" and so on, but if I can't sort out getting it to shift properly with the shifter bushings and looking for leaks then I wouldn't be too keen on keeping it. I don't usually push my cars hard, I like to have my on-ramp fun, highway pulls, and some small street spurts here and there, so I guess a W58 is do-able. However I'm not too sure how a 335k mile W58 will hold up.

Single turbo would be the eventual goal to get too. Holset turbos seem to pair well from I've read and can be very affordable. I was thinking something along the lines of HY35 to hit 400hp or HX35 for more than that. Manifolds I need to research on quality/reliability a little more since I'm not too keen on using any kind of eBay Chinesium parts.

NA-T
Probably my least overall researched idea, but something I'm relatively familiar with since lots of people suggest it and something I would like to read about more. I don't know if lots of people would suggest it on a 335k miles 2JZ though. That could change once I dig around the engine a little more to see how it's holding up.

2JZ-GTE
2JZ-GTE is an option albeit probably the most expensive one (I think) since wiring is probably going to have to be sent off to be done and pairing with a healthy transmission. Also not as well researched but seems to be covered well across different sites.

And that's where I'm at. LS400 brakes, wheels, and other things will also work their way into the car as time goes on and I choose on a direction to go.
Old 06-09-18, 03:30 PM
jodyfletch
Driver School Candidate

Hey, CL. I got a 1998 SC300 about a week ago with 153,000 miles on her. I believe she's totally stock, and she'll stay that way. It's my first 2-door / sports car, and I'm really enjoying it. I've driven nothing but *big* older, sedans for a while (Cadillac DeVille, Lincoln Town Car, Mercedes S-Class and Lexus LS, of course). I've got a lot to learn about this car, so I've been slowly crawling through the great info here. Thanks to all for taking the time to build up this library of knowledge. Jody

Old 06-11-18, 02:12 PM
Furthur
Driver School Candidate

Default New SC300 (1998) owner!

howdy, just ditched my 99 mustang cobra for this beaut of a car. Looking forward to playing around with daily driveability and enjoying the RELIability..

150k miles, first modification is the wheels from my mustang. 17" wearing 245/40/17s. Looking forward to opening it up for 400-450RWP as a daily driver.

https://i.imgur.com/kzrUF72.jpg
Old 06-12-18, 10:22 AM
Fozzyb5
Driver School Candidate

Default 95 Sc300

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Welcome to CL

Post some pics!
hi there my name is sam and i have a 95sc300
i am currently having a problem with timing it was advanced to 32 degrees and so we backed of the distirbutor timing but it is now around 20 degrees but i need to back it off 10 more degrees to pass smog and i am looking for ways to get back those 10 more degrees i need please help me
Old 06-12-18, 11:08 AM
DaBwyan61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fozzyb5
hi there my name is sam and i have a 95sc300
i am currently having a problem with timing it was advanced to 32 degrees and so we backed of the distirbutor timing but it is now around 20 degrees but i need to back it off 10 more degrees to pass smog and i am looking for ways to get back those 10 more degrees i need please help me
Wrong thread my man, this is the welcome thread. Try looking in Performance & Maintenance or just the normal threads.
Old 06-17-18, 11:04 PM
ZRenny
Driver School Candidate

Default Hope this forum isn’t dead...

Hi, my name is Zach. I’m from Phoenix, Arizona, and my first and current car is black 1998 Sc300. I’ve scoured this forums on FAQ when trying to install a deck and speaker wires and what not. I wish I could fix my car up more but I’m a college student so money is the big issue and the know-how luckily my dad is a car guy and a mechanic for most of his life so I can always ask him questions. I’ll post pics when I’m able to take them. Thank you guys for having this forum exist
Old 06-19-18, 08:03 AM
Aviid
Driver School Candidate

hi been lurking this forum since i got a SC. Heres a picture of mine. new wheels coming soon.

Last edited by Aviid; 06-23-18 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-24-18, 04:21 PM
KyontaeBey
Driver School Candidate

Default What Is the problem .. 1992 Lexus Sc 400 will start but will not stay running..

Peace this Is Kyontae Bey I am new to the club and I have a 1992 Lexus Sc 400 . One of my sensors has gone bad I need help finding out which one . My mechanic can over today and looked at the car and told me it wasn’t my fuel pump , or my cam shaft , we also disconnected the massive air flow sensor and tried to start it to see if it would stay running but it did nothing . Can someone please tell me where I should start before I go and waist money on parts I wouldn’t need to replace?? I will receive phone calls also (757)-274-7930 ask for Kyontae.. please contact me immediately.
Old 06-25-18, 08:58 PM
Wintercat
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 95 SC400 found in New Hampshire

Glad to be a part of this community. First SC, and absolutely love this car, how it rides, how it handles, the acceleration of that silky V8, everything about this work of art. After seeing an old video about how they designed them, I'm proud to own a piece of the legacy.

I found this one languishing in a condo complex with tree sap getting on that lovely black, bought it for a ridiculously low price. Someone had already done a lot to it, and done it well. It came with properly done Supra brakes, expensive Ruff Racing wheels, and a Kenwood touchscreen system with trunk amp, phone mic near the visor, clean install. The only thing wrong with it was that the front seats were shot, as it looked like someone had tried to dye black seats cream, they were hard and cracked.

I've added Homelink from a 99, replaced the seats with pristine ones from a 93, given it a three step deep polish with Mothers, and now it looks like this.

Next will be an exhaust redo with Magnaflows and catalytic bypass...this state has no emissions for cars this old. This is an amazing car, and I understand the appreciation for them!
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (07-05-18)
Old 06-26-18, 05:12 AM
AZBuman
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone. Recent member, just purchased at 91 LS400, 214K on it. Mostly got it because I like the styling and love the UZ engines (own a 98 Land Cruiser and 04 Sequoia too). Got some work to do with it; timing belt/water pump, valve adjustment, AC stuff and windshield/moon roof replacement. Gotta love Colorado hail. I hope to learn a lot from members here. Thanks again!
Old 07-02-18, 05:15 PM
SCDual
Driver School Candidate

Default Wassup

Wassup everybody. I just created account here. Had my Coupe for a while now almost a year. Haven’t done much but there’s some stuff already done to it. I will be posting photos soon. Everyone is welcome to come chat on my thread.

Checkout my instagram SCDual and YouTube channel SCDual . I will be uploading more videos soon.

Quick Reply: SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!