SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 04:33 PM
Ebsurratt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am Eddie, I have an sc400 93, 209,000. I have replaced both catalytic converters, and now the car is having problems with acceleration. The car will hesitate when I press the gas, it use to just do it on hills, now it has became more frequent. The car idles fine, the engine seems to be running fine, but when i press the gas I loose a lot of power, however, when the rpms get up to 3000, it suddenly runs better, but still with lack of power. I have been reading for hours, and I am compelled to believe it is the ignition coil, does anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-04-14, 05:00 PM
dgeltz
Driver School Candidate

Default New Member ~ 92 SC300

Hey everyone my name is Dillon, I'm 20 years old, and I recently bought my first car: 92 SC300 (2JZ GE, automatic tranny). I'm going to school full-time to pursue a career in physical therapy and I work part-time at a local gym. Needless to say, I don't make a whole lot of money but I'd love to get started on my SC nonetheless.
So far I don't have too much car knowledge, so I appreciate all the tips and shared knowledge I can get. The car is basically stock except for an Injen cold air intake. I don't have a solid idea on what needs/should be upgraded first. Turbo? 5 speed swap? Coilovers? What do you guys think?

Old 12-04-14, 10:02 PM
Lexuslife2
Driver School Candidate

Default My car is shaking and will putter and white smoke"" please help,

I always have been driving it on Empty I'm lazy and a Dumas for that but when I drive it it won't shake but after it will shake and smoke up a lot. I can't tell if coolant got to the oil because the coolant I use us the red one. Help please!
Old 12-09-14, 08:57 AM
JPJJPJ
Driver School Candidate

Inactive Member until now.
1993 SC400 Barn Find-53,000 miles
Elderly previous owner, not that I am not old, just not that old.
Car is mint, serviced exclusively by Lexus with all records.
Nothing to do but drive it.
Old 12-09-14, 11:59 AM
AJCady
Driver School Candidate

Default First Lexus. 95 SC300 w 59,020 miles

Hello,

Just purchased my first Lexus . It's an SC300 with 59,020 miles and is in great condition.

I purchased it from the original owner (my father-in-law) who bought it from Sewell Lexus in Dallas and has kept it garaged and well maintained for the past 20 years. I have all service records, etc. since purchase so no need to guess re: what was repaired and when.

I've admired the car since the first time my father-in-law took me for a ride and needless to say I'm looking forward to driving and maintaining it for at least several years.

It should be interesting, because I've always been a car nut but have generally spent most of my time working on older cars. (The Lexus shares a garage with my 1962 Mini Cooper S (clone)). The Mini is a blast to drive (street & track) but it's the polar opposite of the Lexus. For example, the entire Mini electrical system has two fuses, so I suspect I'll have to sharpen up my electronic skills.

The photos below show the car right after it rolled off the transporter from Georgia. No detailing or work of any kind yet, but it's already pretty clean.

Stay tuned for plenty of questions in the coming weeks and months, but at the moment I only know of a few issues:

1) Driver's seat leather needs repair/replacement. Please let me know if anyone has good covers or a good seat for sale!

2) Check engine light has been on since he had transmission issues and a shop replaced the ECU a few years ago. Needless to say, I'll want to solve that issue. (Apparently the mechanic told him the light was only really used to highlight emissions issues.)

3) Mirrors don't move. (He was the only person to drive the car, so I suspect they were set 20 years ago and haven't moved since.) hopefully a little TLC will wake them up.

4) Moonroof sticks a bit from infrequent use.

Fresh off the transporter from Georgia.

Driver's seat damage, but otherwise very clean.

Undercarriage is CLEAN. Not bad for a 20 year old car, and rarely seen in the Northeast (Boston) where everything has rust.

Looks good, but seems to be missing something. Anyone have a twin turbo they want to donate?
Old 12-14-14, 07:51 PM
NFSRUN
Driver School Candidate

Hello people,

Owned an SC300 for around a month now. It's beige and has around 156.5k miles clocked on the digital odometer and it runs pretty well. Interior wise, the front seats are ripped and has wear marks all over them. Everything else is fine. For now I am currently adding in an alarm and aftermarket stereo. The car will need an oil change and a brake job soon though...

Last edited by NFSRUN; 12-14-14 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more detail about what I am doing to my car.
Old 12-15-14, 07:52 PM
jlmason
Driver School Candidate

Default new guy

Hello just dropped in to say hi. Just picked up a bone stock 93 sc300 with 136k on it for my new daily.
Old 12-16-14, 03:14 AM
Mark531
Rookie

kinda new-ish guy here , had my sc NA-T since October and signed up but never couldve posT so i re-registered and her i am. ..from NJ, been seeeing some random sc around and would like to see more and lookign fwd to meets

Name:  IMG_20140928_171116.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  122.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20140928_154415.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  127.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20140928_222034.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  131.4 KB

Last edited by Mark531; 12-19-14 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 01:53 AM
shikrajutt
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone, just picked up this 98 sc400 few weeks ago, mostly stock except w58 and few more bits and pieces borrowed from supra.....brakes, rear diff(3.27), lower control arms,trd tt sway bars n few other things. This is the brainchild of Luis Velez who is a clublexus member from San Antonio Tx user id/screen name: lev00221. He is the one who introduced me to clublexus as well and quite honestly i am already feeling like home.
[ATTACH]SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-image2.jpeg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-image.jpeg  
Old 12-21-14, 10:35 AM
XSixxX
Driver School Candidate

~ Happy Sunday/Holidays ~

Recently purchased a higher mile 93 SC400. Great condition, well maintained. Goes with out saying that it needs to be cleaned up and loved more.

Been reading threads here for a while. Recently decided to join.
Old 12-21-14, 10:57 PM
ronweez702
Driver School Candidate

whats up guys, new here but not new to toyota or lexus.
I got a 95 SC300 from a buddy of mine with 154,XXX, clean interior (no tears at all, just usual wear on driver sit, but still no tears or cracks). Car is very clean, no mods other than straight piped exhaust that previous owner put on. It actually sounds good but i'm gonna change it up in the future. As for now I just recently got my A/C and heat working again after replacing the cigarette lighter fuse and did a much needed alignment on her. Going to be doing an engine overhaul. Valve cover is leaking, so is rear main and timing cover. But while i have the motor out I am going to replace my belts, new pulleys, service my trans, spark plugs, water pump and other things (benefits of being a tech and having your own lift). plans are to make this a reliable street/stanced car once all maintenance is taken care of. My lady likes to drive it so have to make it safe and reliable for her too. On to a few pix
Attached Thumbnails SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-lexi.jpg   SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-lexi2.jpg   SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-lexi3.jpg  
Old 12-22-14, 08:44 PM
13Elite13
Driver School Candidate

Default Proud new owner

Hi, my name is Cameron and i just got a '92 SC300, used. It was in great shape when I bought it, almost 200k miles on it. The owners were older and took car of the car.
I decided this was a great car because it has the 2jz-ge motor that is also found in 92-98 supra's. My dream car was always a 96 Mark IV supra so, I figured, close enough. I would love to overhaul it for performance and everything but I don't have the money at this job. So, slowly as the car parts fail, I'm replacing the old stock parts with better parts.
I joined the forum in hopes to find people who have been under the hood and done the work who could possibly help with and questions and suggestions. I look forward to seeing what everyone has done to their sc400/300
Old 12-23-14, 03:44 PM
dubbersgti
Driver School Candidate

Default Howdy Folks

Hello All , John Wallace from Mustang OK . Just joined after buying a 1993 SC400. Used to autocross Alfa Romeo's in my younger days . More recently been driving Audi A4 , VW GTI's and Jettas. Due to disc problems in my lower back I can't do a clutch anymore . Looked around long and hard for something fun with an auto trans and finally settled on the sc400 . It's clean for a 93 , 183k miles . Needs some sorting like any old car but I'm up for it . Enjoying it so far . Looking forward to having it right as I know it can run much better than it does now .
Old 12-24-14, 04:35 PM
lynnmass01
Driver School Candidate

Default Newbie

Hi Im bill I own a 1992 lexus sc400 I bought it in 1995 and have had it ever since. Ill take some pics and post soon. Thanks
Old 12-25-14, 09:40 AM
aussievern
Driver School Candidate

Default new member

Hi all, I have just purchased a 93 sc 400 and am going through the normal procedure of making it into a driveable car, exhaust, tires, lights,suspension, etc, I was wondering if anyone has any info on swapping the 4 speed auto trans for a 98 sc 400 5 speed auto trans and whether I will get any gains here, power, fuel consumption etc, also whether it is a straight swap with the trans ecu unit being able to communicate with the 93 unit, would love some answers as I feel that spreading out the power over another gear must be advantageous, don't really want to go the manual route, thanks

Quick Reply: SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!