SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tire Stretching!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 03:38 PM
7sins
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cherplex your setup looks amazing. Hardly any stretch at all. You're running a 315 so I already respect you. Mdsc, you're right my 240 would never look like that because I didnt photoshop my car. My 240 wasnt a hatch either. Irrelevent though. Its obivious that tire stretching is merely a fad, and is only for looks. Im not hating on any person just tire stretching in general. I think its the most retarded thing ever. Minimal stretch is ok but some of this extreme stuff just reminds me of a 64 impala with 13" triple gold daytons bouncing dwn the road with snoop in the driver seat smoking a blunt.
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKU*SC3
the stretch really depends on your offset and how much poke you have though.
late to the party, but wait, what?

the stretch depends on the width of the tire vs. the width of the wheel.

maybe you meant to say something like "HOW MUCH stretch YOU NEED really depends on your offset and how much poke you want/have?"
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone gets so defensive when opinions don't agree. I'm glad there is a long history behind tire stretching because I never said it was new.
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Sorry, but I couldn't let that Cyber Evo response go lol. Here are photos someone took of it's wheels/tires at a super lap battle in Australia on race day. They certainly don't look as stretched as those in the original photo. A 265 race tires is not that stretched on a 10.5" wheel.

[IMG]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/5107/ameg.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1949/ameee.jpg[IMG]
Read my ACTUAL post. I never said that the cyberevo is able to rip through fuji faster than gt cars b/c it's stretching 195's. Yes, I know both the cyberevo and ct230r run 265/35's all around on 10-10.5" wheels.
Originally Posted by ME
and btw, the cyberevo doesn't exactly run meaty tires
I was just saying that not all cars that hit the track run thick-butt tires since that seemed to be the topic of debate back when I posted.
[/clarification]
Old 05-05-11, 04:10 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7sins
some of this extreme stuff just reminds me of a 64 impala with 13" triple gold daytons bouncing dwn the road with snoop in the driver seat smoking a blunt.
so wait..is that a bad thing..cus im down
Old 05-05-11, 04:18 PM
HEWJsc4
Pole Position

The only way a thread like this gets this many pages is when people start arguing, which is why I usually avoid posting in them, and while reading a thread such as this does have some entertainment value, I would much rather read a performance build thread or something that will help me gain more knowledge or impart knowledge to others.

It seems as if a lot of the guys running stretched tires want to defend and justify why they do it, which is fine. The problem is many seem to be in denial of the negative consequences running stretched tires has on a car (granted, they may be minor in some circumstances) and will maintain that it is totally safe, practical and logical when the facts prove otherwise.

It's cool if you like the look, but just say that and be done with it. You get yourselves in trouble when you grasp at straws to defend why you do it.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 05-05-11, 04:22 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 240benzo
this thread is about tire stretching..not "why should i be too much of a pink taco to stretch my tires or hate on it just because its not the norm and i just dont like it"

people have been stretching tires for 20 years plus..if you dont like it start your own meaty tire thread and GTFO
exactly
Old 05-05-11, 04:23 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Do any of you guys run nitrogen in your tires, just curious I don't want to start a debate.
Old 05-05-11, 04:26 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 7sins
Cherplex your setup looks amazing. Hardly any stretch at all. You're running a 315 so I already respect you. Mdsc, you're right my 240 would never look like that because I didnt photoshop my car. My 240 wasnt a hatch either. Irrelevent though. Its obivious that tire stretching is merely a fad, and is only for looks. Im not hating on any person just tire stretching in general. I think its the most retarded thing ever. Minimal stretch is ok but some of this extreme stuff just reminds me of a 64 impala with 13" triple gold daytons bouncing dwn the road with snoop in the driver seat smoking a blunt.
Photoshop or not you cannot get that kind of look without a stretch, you can not get your wheel to be flush with a fender without a stretch. If you dont like that kind of look fine, i think cherps car looks great, 305 is the size of his rear tires.
Old 05-05-11, 06:11 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

^, No.
Sherwin is running a 315 in the rear.
Old 05-05-11, 06:19 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

thread has been beaten to death now
Old 05-05-11, 06:19 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

this thread is about tire stretching..not "why should i be too much of a pink taco to stretch my tires or hate on it just because its not the norm and i just dont like it"

people have been stretching tires for 20 years plus..if you dont like it start your own meaty tire thread and GTFO
Nobody has to, because this is a "Forum" and by definition, that means "a public meeting place for open discussion" People are free to express opinions, even if they don't agree with your's... Welcome to the world of internet forums.
Old 05-05-11, 08:41 PM
7sins
Driver

Lol no. 64 impalas with triple golds is cool. Id prolly never own one, but I like lookin at them. Stretch your tires bro. If u like it then game on! The more power you have the more tire you're gonna want. Just keep that n mind.
Old 05-06-11, 09:34 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

I have like 120hp in my s13--so im planning on being really low and really slow =]
bigger tires mean taller ride height..and im all about being low
doing whatever it takes to ride low has been done for years/generations..we just do it our own way

back to the old school before you could stretch tires

new/old

get with it-anyone with a style and personality doesnt want their car to look like everyone elses
Old 05-06-11, 12:43 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

I have like 120hp in my s13--so im planning on being really low and really slow =]
bigger tires mean taller ride height..and im all about being low
doing whatever it takes to ride low has been done for years/generations..we just do it our own way

get with it-anyone with a style and personality doesnt want their car to look like everyone elses
Uhhhh...just saying...but why are you copying everyone's "style" then? And if we are throwing out pink tacos for the taking then maybe you are one for driving slow.

Edit: I wasn't trying to be an *** ArodDaLob. You know how it is on here. If you say a race car isn't running meaty tires then bam everyone on the forum will be running around saying race cars run stretched tires and maintain perfect wheel flushness because it is the best for performance. I do believe that Evo has flush wheels for the look though. The Japanese like their race cars to appeal aesthetically to the mainstream enthusiasts almost as well as they perform.

Last edited by BartleDoo; 05-06-11 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire Stretching!