SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc300 custom glass sub enclosure under rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 07:59 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 custom glass sub enclosure under rear deck

well i know most people would either sacrifice the trunk or spare tire well for there sub in the sc. but i am stubborn and attempting to use the stock mounting hole. the plan may not be the best but i refuse to give up the trunk in any way. so far here is what i have done and the plan for the enclosure. i have mounted the new 10'' sub in the rear deck i made a mounting ring out of mdf. this was pretty hard to get right but today it is done and already sounds 20 times better then stock with no enclosure. its dark already but i will post a pic tomorrow. the mounting ring was 2 separate pieces 1 on top of the other. the bottom piece is square and shaped to lay into the natural form of the mounting area. then the top piece is a ring for mounting the sub. hard to explain but you will see in the pic. the purpose of 2 separate layers was to raise the sub up higher so that i have room between the tank and the sub magnet to build the enclosure. the biggest problem with this plan is rattles and vibration of the metal on the rear deck. so a lot of sound deadening will be required and it still may have a rattle problem. but already it is a vast improvement over stock and i am running the sub with the stock amp. onto the enclosure idea. this is going to be really tricky and im posting about it with hope that someone can suggest improvements on rattle proofing it. the sub is mounted and the plan is to build a glass enclosure that will bolt to the underside of the dash above the gas tank. i now have more then an inch of space between the magnet and the tank. the box will be form fitted to the contour's of the deck. using mdf frame work and glass to shape the box. and i am probably going to port it with the port hole coming up through the dash. using that square hole in the dash where the stock amp is at to run the port through.what i am hoping is that someone has pointers on sound deadening the dash. so far i plan to go in with rattle trap sound deadener over the whole deck top and bottom basically anywhere i can lay the stuff. and filling wholes with expanding foam and or liquid sound deadening spray. beyond that i am hoping there is more i can do. from there after the sub enclosure is done i plan to glass the rear dash baffle and mold the sub grill/brakelight to the baffle because it needs to be raised to fit the higher mounted sub. also i will use those little plastic speaker grill studs like on a house speaker so i can pull the grill off easily. or velcro as an alternative.it is a major project but i hope it will pay off in the end. here is a mockup so you kinda see the plan. you know you love my photoshop skills!
Old 04-29-11, 08:10 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

I have been wanting to see something like this. I don't want to lose any trunk space either. I have 3 jl 8w0. And I want to place at least one somewhere back there.
Old 04-29-11, 08:20 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

honestly i am biting off a lot here. but i have confidence i can do it. getting it done is 1 thing but no horrible rattles is another. i have seen most of the sub pics on this forum and most everybody took the easy road using either the side wall of the trunk or the wheel well. i just dont like the side wall mount i feel it does not look fluid. and i will give up no trunk space with this plan and it will be stealth. not to mention having the sub up in the dash has all the air movement in the cabin making one 10'' sub sound a lot louder the one 10'' in the trunk. the only thing that wont look stock is the port hole in the dash. and the baffle will look much nicer covered in vinyl or something other then that cheesy gray carpet.
Old 04-29-11, 08:22 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

an 8" would probably be way easier to do this with then a 10" easier to mount any way.
Old 04-30-11, 12:48 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

second thought i just realized there is no need for a port. also the only part of the box to be glassed is the bottom. so it is able to get the right angle to clear the gas tank. i think it just got easier and cheaper!
Old 04-30-11, 05:54 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

Please take lots of pictures I want to see this!
Old 04-30-11, 09:11 AM
clean93
Driver School Candidate

Which sub do you plan on running?
Old 04-30-11, 10:22 AM
Dade305
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this idea crossed my mind yesterday! i just didnt think about using glass, or porting it. I think the sealed box will sound way better btw. im definately watching this thread! good luck!
random question, is it possible to put a/some subs behind the rear seats? like in btwn seats on the back part, or is there not enough room for even a slim box..
Old 04-30-11, 01:34 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

In for seeing this as well.
Old 04-30-11, 02:36 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Never thought of the sub location under the bottom portion of the back seat. Hmmmmmmm...... another DIY?
Old 04-30-11, 04:41 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dade305
this idea crossed my mind yesterday! i just didnt think about using glass, or porting it. I think the sealed box will sound way better btw. im definately watching this thread! good luck!
random question, is it possible to put a/some subs behind the rear seats? like in btwn seats on the back part, or is there not enough room for even a slim box..
Behind your back seats = your fuel tank. No bueno :/
Old 04-30-11, 04:49 PM
ScAmor
Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
Behind your back seats = your fuel tank. No bueno :/
Yeah, no room for anything but tweeters!
Old 04-30-11, 05:47 PM
Dade305
Rookie

good to know, so do the seats pretty much rest on the gas tank? jw
Old 04-30-11, 05:55 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dade305
good to know, so do the seats pretty much rest on the gas tank? jw
Yep unfortunately zero room
Old 04-30-11, 06:10 PM
Dade305
Rookie

Originally Posted by Klaus
Yep unfortunately zero room
=/ well knowing myself im going to figure something out. sound is kinda my main thing. (im that guy at the red light that makes ur rearview face down lol)

Quick Reply: sc300 custom glass sub enclosure under rear deck