SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's all this about Soarer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 04:00 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JZZ31;

I think you have little chance of retro fitting the Soarer rear wash/wipe system, yes you will need the correct window and the motor, mountings, covers etc but the switch stalk is opposite sided to the US cars.
Old 07-30-02, 04:32 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I really want is the black window trim around the Soarer 2.5GTs.
Old 06-19-03, 10:25 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

Oh if only someone could get the official specs/soc i maybe able to keep my uzz31 soarer here in TX
then u guy's could import these car's! it's not wot u know it's who you know! does anybody have connections so we could lobby this shiiit outta the way? OH IF ONLY!
Old 06-19-03, 02:41 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Baz,

One thing you can always do is try to get a "dealers plate", and drive the car.
Old 06-19-03, 05:43 PM
Dominik
Driver

Default Going back a bit...

Danielribo, are you saying you have seen a genuine SC in australia? They were never sold here, and if you did see a SC400, then it was one of the *very few* that were imported from the states and converted from LHD to RHD... I would say less than 5 in australia!

I just love the airbag suspension on mine... Its like having Canovers, but fully stock, and it also has adjustable damping - from super soft, to quite stiff!
Old 06-19-03, 07:40 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

i always wondered why the name of our car is "Soarer" and why it uses a Griffon as its symbol.

i wondered maybe the way they designed the oem exhaust sound was to be like the way an animal like that would breathe, strong, full, not too loudly disrespectful, but u can tell there's power in those lungs.

and maybe the way they designed the ride quality was to be like riding one of those Griffon's,
the sensation of soaring through the air on a powerful animal like that? (isn't a griffon like a mythical
lion with wings?)

it's also a very regal symbol, perhaps also appropriately accomidating by its luxurious interior?
Old 06-20-03, 10:59 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

ALIGA.............TELL ME MORE?????
Old 12-15-03, 12:11 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

The soarer's vin plate no is different to the US vin no.+ it's not conformed here! so how would getting a dealers plate help?
Old 12-15-03, 01:50 PM
SwampFox
Rookie

Originally posted by bizzy928
Mmmmmmmmmm...................... I think they were all made in Japan.

bissy928, You have good eyes? You're right, they are all made in Japan.
Old 12-15-03, 03:19 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BAZ
The soarer's vin plate no is different to the US vin no.+ it's not conformed here! so how would getting a dealers plate help?
You can drive any car in the world legally with a dealer's plate. You can import an R34 Skyline or an S15 Silvia and drive it around town as is.
Old 12-15-03, 03:52 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lex400sc
You can drive any car in the world legally with a dealer's plate. You can import an R34 Skyline or an S15 Silvia and drive it around town as is.
If that is the case, then in many states it would be cheaper to get a dealers license than to conform a JDM or other imported car. I checked into the requirements of getting a dealers license 5 years ago when I was going to college in Arkansas. According to state law, you could obtain a dealers license if you filed the correct state forms, paid a fee of (going from memory here, but this estimate is pretty close) $250, had a piece of land to call a car lot, a dedicated structure for business, and a business phone line. For a person living in a rural area, doing this would be rather cheap since all one had to do was set up a storage shed in your yard and get a phone line. I'm sure we have all seen car lots that resemble that type of setup in rural areas. However, in speaking with BAZ, I have learned that one of the restrictions on non-conformed vehicles imported into the US is that it cannot be sold. The restriction is part of the conditions of keeping a non-conformed vehicle in the US for 1 year. If there is another method, such as an importation permit with the intention to sell, then I would like to know about it. To the best of my knowledge, if you import it with the intention to sell, then it must be conformed prior to importation, or done immediately after importation. The only way I know that you can drive a non-conformed vehicle on the streets is with the 1 year exception granted by customs, which strictly forbids the selling of the vehicle.
Old 12-16-03, 12:12 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

Bang on brov.
The car has to have all paper work prior to importing,then the car is deliverd to the ICI to be conformed within a certain time frame.In order for it to be conformed u need the CRASH TEST/DATA=PROPRIETORY
if u can get that your half way there!....but no ICI will do it without!.....not to mention the extortionate prices!

Ive said it b4, there is NO soarer legally conformed in the US, because there would have been a president set + it would be on the ELIGIBILTY LIST[DOT NHTSA]

DID U KNOW THE SC400 WAS NEVER CRASH TESTED IN THE US!!.. just even more bs!!!

Old 12-19-03, 09:30 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Right...the ICI's are all too chicken to touch it. Way too much gov't crap to be worth their while. They probably feel the cost to conform the initial Soarer is too much in comparison to the percieved demand. Maybe the key is to target an ICI and let them know there is a demand.
Old 12-23-03, 10:41 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

I agree! & will keep plugin away [ICI's] But i still think they need the data+permission[DOT] to go ahead!
Old 12-27-03, 06:07 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

Well from what I heard...

1. It was WAY easier to import 3 years ago than now.
2. It is possible to know the right people and import the car as a kit car, but I was told the car has to be halfed and then put back together.
3. Many things can happen in miami with enough money.

And yes, the turn signal is on the other side of the wheel so I have no idea how you are planning to fit the rear wiper on. Funny thing is that I get all messed up when i go back to a US car.

Last edited by Dimcorner; 12-27-03 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: What's all this about Soarer?