SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

a question to all sc owners who love bass

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 07:50 PM
schef300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a question to all sc owners who love bass

first off im looking for a nice sharp punchy bass line. not earthquaker rumble type of bass.

whats a better location for a subwoofer.

Im stuck between using a jl marine in the stock location(my idea)

or

Removing the stock subwoofer and using that hole as a port and put a box in the trunk. (audio shop owner advised me to do this)

what should i do?

The subwoofer im going to be using is a single jl 10w6.
Old 09-29-10, 07:55 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by schef300
first off im looking for a nice sharp punchy bass line. not earthquaker rumble type of bass.

whats a better location for a subwoofer.

Im stuck between using a jl marine in the stock location(my idea)

or

Removing the stock subwoofer and using that hole as a port and put a box in the trunk. (audio shop owner advised me to do this)

what should i do?

The subwoofer im going to be using is a single jl 10w6.
I'm doing the stock location idea when I get around to the audio side of my car. The trunk is so useful! I neeeed my trunk space, I don't want 2 subs taking up the entire trunk. I say do your idea.
Old 09-29-10, 07:58 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say thats a hard choice. I love my quad city knock, but I also miss the truck space. I dont think there is any way possible to get that JL in the factory hole and it look good. Maybe you need to use a side of the rear trunk and let it fire to the other side, and still keep the rear factory sub out for a port. I did part of that idea.
Old 09-29-10, 08:05 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ported through the rear deck would definitely be the loudest and best sounding overall..
however you need to figure out whether its worth it or not..

its hard for someone to answer this for you since we all have our own opinion on what enough really is..
me for instance ..i love mids ..so the stock sub is plenty for me
my cousin on the other hand...has walled off every vehicle he has owned = no trunk or rear seats...but also had the title of the loudest street vehicle in the world at one point..
(in a lexus gs300 at that haha)

but thats just way too much for me..i love the simple clean look of stock..so im not replacing anything as far as audio goes
Old 09-29-10, 08:22 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

me for instance ..i love mids ..so the stock sub is plenty for me
Me too.

Rear deck gets my vote. I love the bass from my OEM Nakamicki sub, clean and punchy bass without ever becoming distorted or boomy. I believe the reason for this has a lot to do with the placement. I've heard some aftermarket stereos in SC's with a woofer in the trunk and the quality of the bass just is never quite the same. That being said, I'm sure there are some exceptions out there.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 09-29-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 08:24 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

i am going through this same situation
i'll reveal what i came up with in a thread next week
Old 09-29-10, 08:49 PM
SCKnight
Driver School Candidate

I am in the process of putting my two Rockford Fosgate P3 12 inch subs in the spare tire well with two blow throughs from the rear deck. Im gonna replace the stock sub and use it as a mid bass... I will have a false floor so i will still have a trunk to put things which is what Im going for... Either idea for you is good i think.
Old 09-29-10, 09:03 PM
MIKU*SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo i hate subs in the trunk, all they do is rattle the trunk and license plate.
Depending on how safe of a neigborhood you live in but the best sound will be putting a sub in your back seat, i had a type R 12 with a RGW box that took up one seat in the back and it was awesome. Just dont try to go drifting with it in there or itll fly all over the place and youll be pissed. lol trust me.
Old 09-29-10, 10:18 PM
Exthultu
Pole Position

Anyone thought of using the spare tire well?
Old 09-29-10, 10:18 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKU*SC3
Imo i hate subs in the trunk, all they do is rattle the trunk and license plate.
Depending on how safe of a neigborhood you live in but the best sound will be putting a sub in your back seat, i had a type R 12 with a RGW box that took up one seat in the back and it was awesome. Just dont try to go drifting with it in there or itll fly all over the place and youll be pissed. lol trust me.
My 12'' Eclipse subs dont rattle the trunk or the plate. Warps the trunk lid a bit at higher volume, but nothing rattles except the rear deck where the stock sub used to be at. No sound deading material was added either.

The stock location is nice, but your limited to subs that are made to handle free-air applications, which in general are more expensive. A single 12'' or 10'' sub in the trunk in the ebay formed boxes with a nice amp will provide plenty of punch, and they dont take up too much space. Unlike my box, I cant fit a small bag of dog food in my trunk and at 85#'s, all its good for is a headache if I ever have a flat and need the spare..but I love my bass
Old 09-29-10, 10:59 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would go with a sub and box in the trunk. Take out the stock sub and the sheet of metal in between the gas tank and backseat. I did that and I have nice, clean bass with a single 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 and an Alpine MRP-M500 amp. With the bass turned down, it sounds stock. and it can shake the block if I need it to.
Old 09-30-10, 06:43 AM
keskipper
Pole Position

I replaced the stock 10" with a JL Audio 10W1v2-4 http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=15 and hooked it up to a 300W two channel amp (bridged), and it sounds really, really good for one 10.

It is hard to find a sub shallow enough to fit in the stock location (I used the stock ring, just replaced the sub) and it clears the gas tank by ~1/4". Someone told me on here in May, when I did this, that the sub MIGHT not last because it's not "infinite baffle", but I have had zero problems with it so far...

my $.02 =)
Old 09-30-10, 07:22 AM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

My head hurts when I try to understand all this stereo, speaker stuff....
Old 09-30-10, 07:41 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

I have a quick question to someone on here. This relates to the topic.
If you were to put the sub in the trunk and remove the metal piece between the gas tank and back seat, What would you do for sound deadening?
When you are putting up something like Dynomat, do you have to mat the entire trunk? also, when doing this right, do you mat the ceiling and trunk lid as well?
Old 09-30-10, 08:21 AM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not like the SC has any trunk space anyway....

Quick Reply: a question to all sc owners who love bass