Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

AWD Supra / Lexus sc / Mk3 kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 12:56 PM
$hogunn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I could see this being big in Austrailia or Japan, where in Aus they spend 5-10K on Super/Turbo charger kits for their V8 Soarers..
true. but i could swear my turbo kit for my soarer was 10k. and we dont even wanna get into how much the blitz kit was for my supra. if you buy high quality stuff, you are gonna have to spend. if i was a company like greddy or hks, this type of kit would be like 20 to 40 grand lmao. im keeping it REAL cheap.
Old 07-08-10, 01:09 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Would anything change in the suspension geometry?
Old 07-08-10, 01:14 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shugun, this is definitely very appealing. I really hope this is going on SF as well, because all do respect to my SC brothers, there's only a handful of people on this board that will spend as much as a stock version of their car is worth on this mod. On balance, in a $20k-$30k supra, $5-6k all in is fairly reasonable to completely change the dynamic of the car and it's likely that money would be recoverable in the resale of the car. Being that the supra is not my DD and again I am going for a car this is designed to be an ultimate GT car (why I'm now keeping the stock twins) I'm definitely interested in this, but would likely just supply my existing transmission as long as there was some sort of guarantee on the work. With a delivered transmission what would the ballpark be?
Old 07-08-10, 01:16 PM
$hogunn
Driver

Originally Posted by romycha1
Would anything change in the suspension geometry?
nope, your suspension geometry would stay the same!!! yaaay! lol
Old 07-08-10, 01:42 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im extremmly interested, 5-8K to completey change how the cars dynamics work...

Get this ball rolling, i would be one of the first customers
Old 07-08-10, 01:53 PM
$hogunn
Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
Shugun, this is definitely very appealing. I really hope this is going on SF as well, because all do respect to my SC brothers, there's only a handful of people on this board that will spend as much as a stock version of their car is worth on this mod. On balance, in a $20k-$30k supra, $5-6k all in is fairly reasonable to completely change the dynamic of the car and it's likely that money would be recoverable in the resale of the car. Being that the supra is not my DD and again I am going for a car this is designed to be an ultimate GT car (why I'm now keeping the stock twins) I'm definitely interested in this, but would likely just supply my existing transmission as long as there was some sort of guarantee on the work. With a delivered transmission what would the ballpark be?
im estimating the 6 speed version will be about 10k with a 3500.00 core for the transmission ontop of that. once i got the trans back and made sure it wasnt lame or blown the 3500 would come back to the customer.

so im estimating 10k plus id say 300 east, 500 mid, and 750 west coast for shipping the trans w all the parts. thats just based on milage and pallet weight of less than 250lbs. im probably a bit high on shipping price but i could safely say 11000 shipped plus core charge for 6 speed.
Old 07-08-10, 01:55 PM
$hogunn
Driver

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Im extremmly interested, 5-8K to completey change how the cars dynamics work...

Get this ball rolling, i would be one of the first customers
thanks JDM, and NICE SC, the white on deep dishes is PIMP!
Old 07-08-10, 01:59 PM
$hogunn
Driver

yeah i have it up on SF but SF is suck a cliquey, nut hugging, **** n ***** riding site LMAO. its like if you arent on there for with a million posts about nothingness, arent over 40 and arent in the original circle of people they are skeptics. i do have it running on there as well. i just hope the SO CALLED BALLERS on sf actually are down to spend money on something that will make a difference instead of insisting that keeping it as close to "original" as possible is the only way 2 b
Old 07-08-10, 02:14 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by $hogunn
im estimating the 6 speed version will be about 10k with a 3500.00 core for the transmission ontop of that. once i got the trans back and made sure it wasnt lame or blown the 3500 would come back to the customer.

so im estimating 10k plus id say 300 east, 500 mid, and 750 west coast for shipping the trans w all the parts. thats just based on milage and pallet weight of less than 250lbs. im probably a bit high on shipping price but i could safely say 11000 shipped plus core charge for 6 speed.
Again, not bad, but I need to point out this totally goes against this being a "bolt in" affair. When I think bolt in, I think somebody will ship me the parts needed and I will install them without the use of a shop or fabrication. With this setup, we would at somepoint have to deal with shipping out a transmission to have work done whether it's a core exchange or a rebuild of our existing one. At that point, it's really no longer bolt in. Is there no way to have a bolt on transfer case? As I recall that was one of the appeals of the skyline setup, was that the transfer case could potentially bolt in.

My guess is that if you can get this down to a $5-$6k setup that is a true bolt on to those that already have 6 speeds and r154s without having to deal with any core exchanges you would sell a lot of them.
Old 07-08-10, 02:33 PM
$hogunn
Driver

Again, not bad, but I need to point out this totally goes against this being a "bolt in" affair. When I think bolt in, I think somebody will ship me the parts needed and I will install them without the use of a shop or fabrication. With this setup, we would at somepoint have to deal with shipping out a transmission to have work done whether it's a core exchange or a rebuild of our existing one. At that point, it's really no longer bolt in. Is there no way to have a bolt on transfer case? As I recall that was one of the appeals of the skyline setup, was that the transfer case could potentially bolt in.

My guess is that if you can get this down to a $5-$6k setup that is a true bolt on to those that already have 6 speeds and r154s without having to deal with any core exchanges you would sell a lot of them.
its by majority a bolt on affair. if the usdm supra, and the sc300 had front sump oil pans and rear mounted cross members then it would be all bolt on. the fact that you cant get around this is where the shop comes in. other than that, its all bolt on. you bolt on the hub spindles, the front diff, the trans w integrated diff, then the rear shaft, forward shaft, and both axle shafts. thats it.

it wont require you to send your trans in for retrofit at all unless you have a beefed up trans.

but the only way to keep it going is to get the removed trans as a core after you have installed the one i send you so i have a trans to do the next kit with.

so it truly will be all bolt on. now as i think about it tho, i may require more core parts to save me downtime like the front spindles, trans. thats about it. maybe the old crossmember. this would be to minimize loss on my end. thats it tho.

its all hypothetical for now. but ill get it done soon enough.
Old 07-08-10, 03:20 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds great but I will be very skeptical until you show actual finished product.
Old 07-08-10, 04:19 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by $hogunn
its by majority a bolt on affair. if the usdm supra, and the sc300 had front sump oil pans and rear mounted cross members then it would be all bolt on. the fact that you cant get around this is where the shop comes in. other than that, its all bolt on. you bolt on the hub spindles, the front diff, the trans w integrated diff, then the rear shaft, forward shaft, and both axle shafts. thats it.

it wont require you to send your trans in for retrofit at all unless you have a beefed up trans.

but the only way to keep it going is to get the removed trans as a core after you have installed the one i send you so i have a trans to do the next kit with.

so it truly will be all bolt on. now as i think about it tho, i may require more core parts to save me downtime like the front spindles, trans. thats about it. maybe the old crossmember. this would be to minimize loss on my end. thats it tho.

its all hypothetical for now. but ill get it done soon enough.
So this would probably be easier on a gs300? Interesting....

My point on the non bolt on, is that at some point you are having to ship something in to be fabricated- I know it's a core exchange but that's a pretty expensive core item. Also there's the issue with a transmission that the exchanged transmission may not be guaranteed to be in as good of a shape as the one you send in. Really, I'm just saying if you can figure out a way that the customer never has to ship a transmission out to do this and deal with a massive core cost you would move a lot more of these as you would be reducing risk. If the AWD system is bolt on and the end user doesn't like it, it can just be removed- "bolt-off" if you will. But if this is going to involve permanent modification to the factory trans and therefore not a completely reversible install (part of the advantage of bolt on mods) it's going to likely significantly reduce the number of interested buyers. This is more of an R&D recommendation for you- if you can figure out how to do this you will have less risk dealing with core exchanges
Old 07-08-10, 04:30 PM
$hogunn
Driver

So this would probably be easier on a gs300? Interesting....

My point on the non bolt on, is that at some point you are having to ship something in to be fabricated- I know it's a core exchange but that's a pretty expensive core item. Also there's the issue with a transmission that the exchanged transmission may not be guaranteed to be in as good of a shape as the one you send in. Really, I'm just saying if you can figure out a way that the customer never has to ship a transmission out to do this and deal with a massive core cost you would move a lot more of these as you would be reducing risk. If the AWD system is bolt on and the end user doesn't like it, it can just be removed- "bolt-off" if you will. But if this is going to involve permanent modification to the factory trans and therefore not a completely reversible install (part of the advantage of bolt on mods) it's going to likely significantly reduce the number of interested buyers. This is more of an R&D recommendation for you- if you can figure out how to do this you will have less risk dealing with core exchanges

yeah i see what you mean. i guess it will be only for the serious of heart.

the gs300 isnt front sump its mid sump so it wont work either (trust me i had a gs300 boosting for years way back when lol)

and yea that will be the PITA, but without risk comes no reward. ill have to make it happen b4 people will hop on. but ill remember that u werent a hater or a skeptic.

im sure your purchase price will be ALOT cheaper lol.

ill let you know when the supra is sold. then its on!
Old 07-08-10, 04:31 PM
$hogunn
Driver

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
That sounds great but I will be very skeptical until you show actual finished product.
muhahahahahaa! thats cool with me.
Old 07-08-10, 05:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

ok so im thinking old school setup. obviously i dont know you or ur capabilities but its the same principle more or less. i dont see it holding that much power still or how the front diff is going to be a bol on affair, but i guess because you have xxxx hp supra i should take it as a fact. you should really just do it instead of outlining prices and options for something no one has ever seen before.

Quick Reply: AWD Supra / Lexus sc / Mk3 kits