SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

my sc is lucky I love it... not a good month

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 03:03 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default my sc is lucky I love it... not a good month

My sc has been giving me headaches for the last month. Everything been going wrong. Once it gets good, it gets worse.

Bent a wheel, needed repair. damaged my newly bought taillights. Damaged my maf, needed new one. clutch died, need replacement.

Last night I tried to save money and instead of towing my car to the mechanic to do my clutch I tried driving it. I went at 1am in the morning to park it there overnight, to avoid any traffic since with a burnt clutch it was going to be a slow drive.

Well half way it ran out of power all together. It wouldnt go up this one up hill street. Then it wouldnt even budge at all. The clutch was completely gone. I had to wait for a tow truck for a hour and a half. Truck came, couldn't get it on without messing up my kit. bottom got scraped quite a bit. Had to remove my bumper. (anyone who wants a strong lasting kit, get the shine!, it is able to take a beating with it material) Car evintually got on the bed, and had it towed to my aunts near by $$$$$. Couldnt tow it to the mechanic and park it on the street cause no parking allowed at those hours i discovered. In the morning, had to call another tow to get it to my mechanic finally. $$$ Now its at the mechanic bumperless waiting for a $450 clutch installation labor only, as well as a rear crankshaft seal change for the hell of it.

What else is going to happen? My luck has serious been bad with this car. Time and $$$. Im neglecting my other car cause of this. The money for the clutch job and towing could of went toward a tune up and brake job for my volvo.

Last edited by soulific; 05-20-10 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 03:14 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ same with me... I spent $2000 over my budget because of of repairs/parts and troubleshooting... hang in there
Old 05-20-10, 03:19 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea me too, $2000 on my motor build. & the $900 for motor mounts & headers, right b4 i broke it. Oh and timing belt & pulleys too, for another $200.00 right b4 it broke. DAMN these SC's
Old 05-20-10, 03:30 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

i was going to stop upgrades.. but stuff broke so i might as well upgrade than buy the same..

$400~ Rotors/brakes - bought my old ones from a member saying they had tons of life left.. rotors were done in less than 4months of driving.. brakes also.. - =(
$300~ Rear seals repair
$200~ Starter repair
$300~ Radiator repair

Exhaust too loud because of BPU so now $500 dollar on new exhaust + redo piping ($300~)

and my side mount intercooler is gettin replaced with a FMIC.. cuz its old..

and at the end of the day

I Still Love My Car

Last edited by eliteskill; 05-20-10 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 03:31 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Spent 4k on my swap and its not running still. Starts but does not run. Im so frustrated....
Old 05-20-10, 03:49 PM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by eliteskill
i was going stop upgrade.. but stuff broke so i might as well upgrade then buy the same..

$400~ Rotors/brakes - bought my old ones from a member saying they had tons of life left.. rotors were done in less than 4months of driving.. brakes also.. - =(
$300~ Rear seals repair
$200~Starter repair
$300~ Radiator repair

Exhaust too loud because of BPU so now $500 dollar on new exhaust + redo piping ($300~)

and my side mount intercooler is gettin replaced with a FMIC.. cuz its old..

and at the end of the day

I Still Love My Car
What rear seal???was it the crankshaft engine seal?? If so, I dont feel as bad cause Im getting that changed also with the clutch. $20 part, labor is a biaaatch

Last edited by soulific; 05-20-10 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 04:01 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It's expected of a car of it's age. Is it a project car?

My Soarer (97) is sitting in the garage collecting dust... needs new rear pads and rotors and the VVTi cam is leaking. No reason to complain though, it's all part of owning an older car.

The last service on my GS300 was close to $2000 for a full tune up (all belts, all seals, all pumps and rear pads). Seems like it's not worth it but I can't afford down time on it since it's my daily. Money worth spending
Old 05-20-10, 04:11 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my luck as been bad this year also

got arrested still paying it off

just when things were looking up, bought wheels and coilovers spent close to $1500

week later lost my job

now i realize how bad the sc is on gas
Old 05-20-10, 04:16 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

theyre changing the rear main seal. id change it now while the clutch is out cause if it starts leakin later down the line, then youll have to pay the labor to remove the clutch again. unless you like doin that sort of thing.

doesnt sound like bad luck though, just sounds like wear and tear. price you pay for a 17 year old car.

what engine in the volvo? ill come help you with the tune up and brakes if you want.
Old 05-20-10, 04:20 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheel bearing and a busted fender 600.00 here
Old 05-20-10, 04:35 PM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by HellFish
theyre changing the rear main seal. id change it now while the clutch is out cause if it starts leakin later down the line, then youll have to pay the labor to remove the clutch again. unless you like doin that sort of thing.

doesnt sound like bad luck though, just sounds like wear and tear. price you pay for a 17 year old car.

what engine in the volvo? ill come help you with the tune up and brakes if you want.
its a 1.9t 02 s40 turbo. I need a exhaust leak fixed at the turbo manifold mainly. Need to replace a gasket. The turbo and some other partss need to come out first to replace that gasket. Was gonna sawp a 14t while doing that, but ended up selling my new 14t turbo to get parts for the sc300.

Here it is.

Old 05-20-10, 06:20 PM
autoboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hangin there Buddy i am in the same boat as you,Sucks bro after TORC my car start to run lean on the way back home so brought it up to my Tuner and there you go Coilpack and wiring have to be redone $800 ouch.
Old 05-22-10, 08:29 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here it comes again. I lost my keys thursday night. so thats gonna cost $175.00 from a lock smith. New key,cut,& programed. Then my car's temp guage spiked a couple of times today, so I gotta change the thermostat, so as im limping it home the F'n brake booster went out. So im stuck again. I gotta find a brake booter tomorrow!! Who knows what they will want for that @ a junk yard.

Last edited by spdrcr771; 05-22-10 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 12:09 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spdrcr771: You'll be back in no time man... I've seen a lot of your work... thumbs up.
Old 05-23-10, 12:21 AM
zuhhed
Rookie

sorry to hear all that man... hope everything turns around for you soon

Quick Reply: my sc is lucky I love it... not a good month