SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Carbon fiber is so overplayed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 10:30 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks AWESOME! I'm doing it. I don't care. Looks clean and not too obvious. Black interior are sexxxy
Old 05-14-10, 12:48 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overplayed? Who cares, that looks sexy!
Old 05-14-10, 06:54 AM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FuMoFFuTT
I don't care.. haters gonna hate

I finished the other wood trim but didn't take pics .. will post in my build thread later what you guys think?

My center console is a bit aged as well, full of scratches. I might do the climate control, ash tray, shifter surround. And MAYBE the cup holder lid..

nyce wheel, where did you get it and what kind is that?
Old 05-14-10, 02:04 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea what steering wheel is that?
Old 05-14-10, 02:24 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
yea what steering wheel is that?
same one that comes in a 5th gen camry SE, my camry has it.

01+ GS's have the same steering wheel except with audio controls on the side and a lexus airbag.
Old 05-14-10, 02:57 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great. I was going do carbon and thought the same way carbon = played out so i went with black wood vinyl.. but my vinyl is not having fun with the sun and heat in my car..

I wrapped with a heat gun and now its going strinking so my sides are getting slowly exposed again.
Old 05-14-10, 08:23 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Camry bag, this steering wheel is off an ES though

Originally Posted by aka paco
same one that comes in a 5th gen camry SE, my camry has it.

01+ GS's have the same steering wheel except with audio controls on the side and a lexus airbag.
Old 05-14-10, 09:04 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by aka paco
i'd say about 20lbs difference.. i think the stock hood is around 40lbs easily the cf was probably 20 if that.

not much of a weight savings on a 3600lb car IMO
I think you have to consider where the weight is as well. It's at the front of the car and it's high up compared to most other heavy objects in the car. For that reason the effects of a lighter hood help in two ways. One is of course the sheer weight loss, in this case 30 lbs. according to another member. But also that it helps to lower the center of gravity by reducing weight at a higher point on the car. And consider that it removes weight from the front of the car, which makes the nose lighter, and in turn reduces understeer...potentially. Of course this one modification will not make a dramatic change. However, if you're commited to a light weight approach I think doing a few things here and there along with the obvious weight savings achieved thru aftermarket suspension, brakes, exhaust and battery relocation...you may be able to have tangible results.

Weight loss is the single best mod. The answer isn't always more horespower. If all you're interested in is straight line speed than yes, horsepower is king. But if you want an overall better driving experience...then focus on losing weight. A lighter car accelerates faster, handles better, stops sooner, period. So keep the carbon coming!! Dieting is the way man.
Old 05-15-10, 05:39 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

ya thats so overplayed I just ordered some so I could do it too! haha I already did the center console area but now that I got some black m3 seats I'm doing all the rest of the tan stuff in black suede and covering the wood with cf to match.

Last edited by fleishelja; 05-15-10 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 06:49 AM
smigu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks nice!
Is this somekind of premade cf sheet that has glue on its backside or did you do the real thing?
Old 05-15-10, 07:49 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

its premade vinyl that has adhesive on the back. heres where you can get it for the cheap! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-3...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-15-10, 01:41 PM
xzeus
Rookie

wow looking good! wonder how that will look on a tan interior
Old 05-15-10, 06:24 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks nice, great job!
Old 05-16-10, 09:33 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dang, I do not normally like stuff like this, but that looks very good.

Ryan
Old 05-17-10, 03:52 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
I think you have to consider where the weight is as well. It's at the front of the car and it's high up compared to most other heavy objects in the car. For that reason the effects of a lighter hood help in two ways. One is of course the sheer weight loss, in this case 30 lbs. according to another member. But also that it helps to lower the center of gravity by reducing weight at a higher point on the car. And consider that it removes weight from the front of the car, which makes the nose lighter, and in turn reduces understeer...potentially. Of course this one modification will not make a dramatic change. However, if you're commited to a light weight approach I think doing a few things here and there along with the obvious weight savings achieved thru aftermarket suspension, brakes, exhaust and battery relocation...you may be able to have tangible results.

Weight loss is the single best mod. The answer isn't always more horespower. If all you're interested in is straight line speed than yes, horsepower is king. But if you want an overall better driving experience...then focus on losing weight. A lighter car accelerates faster, handles better, stops sooner, period. So keep the carbon coming!! Dieting is the way man.

lol if your looking for a light weight car the SC is a horrible pick... personally my car is for driving on the street, I want AC, power seats, cruise, tilt steering, sunroof, nice sound system..

Unless your SC is a full out track car i think saving 30lbs here and there is just a waste..

I had a cf hood, trunk, and spoiler on my last SC, but it was all for looks..

SC's are big heavy luxury coupes, i dont want it to lose any of it's luxury features, that's why i like it so much, my car has a turbo to pick up for the extra weight

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber is so overplayed!