SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Purchased Car. Lost Title. Seller Not Answering Calls. Need your ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 12:53 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Purchased Car. Lost Title. Seller Not Answering Calls. Need your ideas!!!

OK, so this how this story goes.

I purchased a car from some kid in New Jersey a while back. So I can swap my 1JZ into it. But the project I purchased I did not register in my name and it has been sitting for awhile almost 2 years.

So know that I wanted to work on the car and get the damn thing registered, I cannot find the title, I have the bill of sale, the old insurance slip from the previous owner but no title.

I tired calling the guy, only message, sent a letter no reply. I live in Detroit and the kid is in New Jersey. But it was registered in his dads name, I think the guy is in his 80's now maybe dead.....lol I dont know!!

So what should I do guys. Should I just scrap the car, I can't even do that since I dont have the title? I cannot sell it, I cannot use it as a track car, they might think it is stolen. So I am in dilemna !!!

What should I do !!!!!

Last edited by shlounek; 04-21-10 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 12:58 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your realizing this after 2 years?

Not sure what you could do, maybe try to get a reconstructed title?
Old 04-21-10, 01:02 PM
codye3m
Rookie

yea tell you lost the title, and that u have the bill of sale, and they should get u a new one
Old 04-21-10, 01:02 PM
T-Lex
Driver School Candidate

Or a bonded title.
Old 04-21-10, 01:04 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

go to the dmv bring your bill of sale that should be enuff to request a new title.

you do know that they can screw you over because you are spou to report the (purchase of car) title change 10 days of the bill of sale date. Prolonged for 2yrs is a bad thing. If you were worried about money you could of started the paperwork at least its in your name and not pay fees until later. I dont see a reason to not start the paperwork to get the car in your name at least... and now you dumped money in a car that might be screwed.

Last edited by eliteskill; 04-21-10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 01:10 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

> When I wanted to start working on the car thinking I had the title in hand, found everything except the title. So I didn't wait two years to figure this out, its lost and the car is not registered in my name.

>Will Michigan give me a bonded title or this must start from New Jersey, were the car was orginally registered. Even if I wanted to scarp it they won't take it.

I doubt New Jersey will give me a title, by just showing a bill of sale?

What needs to be done. Something legally, is a bonded title similar to clean title is this possible..
Old 04-21-10, 01:11 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahhh, the spread of misinformation...

You cannot go bring the Bill of Sale in and get a title in your name. Trust me - just dealt with a moron on here and went through this process. I had to hire a private detective to get it all taken care of... Unless your state is different, but from my research I didn't come across any states that would allow this.

Call the DMV of the state the car was registered in - they are the only people who can give you the right answer. Not a bunch of dudes on a car forum taking wild guesses.

Good luck. I understand how frustrating this can be...

Jonny
Old 04-21-10, 01:18 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

I know every DMW in every state works differently, I think I need someone from New Jersey to chime in. I have all the information of the seller, I found his number, but I think he is ignoring my calls. I would understand why.

The car is in Michigan, and I am out of luck. I really do not care about the loss of money, but I dont want anything that can affect me or the seller legally if I got rid of the car.
Old 04-21-10, 01:37 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Ahhh, the spread of misinformation...

You cannot go bring the Bill of Sale in and get a title in your name. Trust me - just dealt with a moron on here and went through this process. I had to hire a private detective to get it all taken care of... Unless your state is different, but from my research I didn't come across any states that would allow this.

Call the DMV of the state the car was registered in - they are the only people who can give you the right answer. Not a bunch of dudes on a car forum taking wild guesses.

Good luck. I understand how frustrating this can be...

Jonny
Dx3 - If the seller sent in his release of liability paperwork with the buyers name and address and date. The Bill of Sale will work! as that is proof as on file (release of liability form from seller) they will show buyers name and he has proof of the transaction with his bill of sale showing he should be the new owner.

OP - If the seller did not send in the release of liability the buyer can JUNK the car without any trace of the car belonging to the buyer at all. No paper trail.

OP - Call your DMV over the phone and ask its simple to ask them directly.

If the seller didnt send in his side of the paperwork (release of liability) the car is still in his name and hes f'k and will pay all car fees if its caught in doing anything illegal. So if you want to screw him park it in a handicap and let it get towed.

This happens in CA all the time.

Last edited by eliteskill; 04-21-10 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 05:05 PM
ZPEED
Driver

Originally Posted by shlounek
OK, so this how this story goes.

I purchased a car from some kid in New Jersey a while back. So I can swap my 1JZ into it. But the project I purchased I did not register in my name and it has been sitting for awhile almost 2 years.

So know that I wanted to work on the car and get the damn thing registered, I cannot find the title, I have the bill of sale, the old insurance slip from the previous owner but no title.

I tired calling the guy, only message, sent a letter no reply. I live in Detroit and the kid is in New Jersey. But it was registered in his dads name, I think the guy is in his 80's now maybe dead.....lol I dont know!!

So what should I do guys. Should I just scrap the car, I can't even do that since I dont have the title? I cannot sell it, I cannot use it as a track car, they might think it is stolen. So I am in dilemna !!!

What should I do !!!!!

u live in detriot but ur location canada?
Old 04-21-10, 06:24 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eliteskill
So if you want to screw him park it in a handicap and let it get towed.
How would that screw the seller over? The car would sit in the yard unclaimed and then auctioned off right?
Old 04-22-10, 03:48 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZPEED
u live in detriot but ur location canada?
I live in Windsor Canada border city to Detroit MI, friends, play and school was all in Detroit MI.
Old 04-22-10, 03:54 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Dx3 - If the seller sent in his release of liability paperwork with the buyers name and address and date. The Bill of Sale will work! as that is proof as on file (release of liability form from seller) they will show buyers name and he has proof of the transaction with his bill of sale showing he should be the new owner.

OP - If the seller did not send in the release of liability the buyer can JUNK the car without any trace of the car belonging to the buyer at all. No paper trail.

OP - Call your DMV over the phone and ask its simple to ask them directly.

If the seller didnt send in his side of the paperwork (release of liability) the car is still in his name and hes f'k and will pay all car fees if its caught in doing anything illegal. So if you want to screw him park it in a handicap and let it get towed.

This happens in CA all the time.

If I wanted to junk the car, then I want to part it out. But I do not think I can junk the car, unless I strip it and dump it on the side of the road, and then the cops will think I am a chop shop, might lead back to me.

I think the best course of action, is to contact DMV see what their input is, if all else fails, call the cops tell them the car is abandoned since seller does not want to issue title and they can impound it, and deal with it. Its a headache in every way.
Old 04-22-10, 07:42 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xknowonex
How would that screw the seller over? The car would sit in the yard unclaimed and then auctioned off right?
When the car gets impounded and unclaimed they check dmv records for the last registered owner of file which would be the seller as the buyer didnt do the paperwork. The seller is responsible for all fees and causes of the car unless he sends in the release of liability paperwork and the new Buyer transfers the name to himself. They try to contact a owner before they auction the car but the fees still stack up while it sits there. He would get slapped with the tow/storage fee and ticket fines and have to go to court and prove he sold the car to the buyer to not have to pay.

Originally Posted by shlounek
If I wanted to junk the car, then I want to part it out. But I do not think I can junk the car, unless I strip it and dump it on the side of the road, and then the cops will think I am a chop shop, might lead back to me.

I think the best course of action, is to contact DMV see what their input is, if all else fails, call the cops tell them the car is abandoned since seller does not want to issue title and they can impound it, and deal with it. Its a headache in every way.
Yea you cant strip the car if your going junk it like that. That looks wrong. Just go ahead and contact the DMV they will be able to tell you if your screwed or not for sure.

Last edited by eliteskill; 04-22-10 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 07:47 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess this varies by state, but in OK and IN this is definitely not the case...

Jonny

Quick Reply: Purchased Car. Lost Title. Seller Not Answering Calls. Need your ideas!!!