SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 08:23 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmj2u

Hey bro, you’re not a disappointment at all. Do what you need to do to learn.
thanks man... I do promise this. No matter what. I will NOT blow up my 2JZ. I love my engine too much. I will take the bus for months if that means keeping my baby alive.
Old 02-07-19, 08:26 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by vinyvin
thanks man... I do promise this. No matter what. I will NOT blow up my 2JZ. I love my engine too much. I will take the bus for months if that means keeping my baby alive.
i blew mine up lol. Bought another and rebuilt it. My build thread is in my signature.
Old 02-07-19, 08:28 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmj2u

i blew mine up lol. Bought another and rebuilt it. My build thread is in my signature.
welp... idk if i should take my promise back then lol, better, I will not blow up my car in half, literally! Yeah that seems like a safe bet. And I check your build here and there more than other builds, actually have it bookmarked lol
Old 02-08-19, 07:28 AM
suprasoup
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AFR help

I noticed the other day when cruising if I begin to roll into boost in 4th or 5th gear the AFR stays pretty steady around 14.5-15 and will not budge all the way up to 1bar. When not in boost AFR is constantly trying to stay around 14.7 and when I'm in a lower gear and begin to start boosting the AFR will richen up like normal, idle is also good on AFR 14.6-15. Now if I begin boosting and going through the gears when I go from 3rd to 4th the AFR will stay in the rich zone like it should but when already in 4th or 5th and begin rolling into boost it will not richen up for some reason. Could it be because I'm rolling into the boost at like 35-40 and the TPS is not triggering it to change fuel however I thought the MAP would recognize the pressure and tell the ECU to increase fuel. On occasion when I go to start the car up after leaving the store or somewhere I drove to the AFR's will be on the lean side 16-17 at idle but if I blip the throttle it will correct itself and stay steady. No engine codes or performance issues. Thanks for any help in advance.

Mods:
Ariston ECU, IS300 Coils,S366, FMIC, FFIM, Q45 TB, AEM WB, 3" Exhaust, walbro 485 w/ 12v mod, Turbosmart WG, timing at 8 degrees, new fuel filter, HKS BOV, 440cc injectors, stock FPR, new spark plugs.

Last edited by suprasoup; 02-08-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-08-19, 11:21 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Mine does the same thing Suprasoup, But not as bad around 10 psi it will start to richen out if i'm just rolling into boost with very little throttle input. If i punch it around 5 psi it enriches the fuel ratio.

i'd just say don't roll into boost lol but i'm curious if anyone else has anything to say

Last edited by scsexy; 02-08-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-08-19, 01:29 PM
suprasoup
Driver

Thanks for the response "SCSEXY", I found this link https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...ial%20throttle that goes along with what your saying as being normal. I would also like to see some other opinions on the topic.
Old 02-09-19, 01:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It's supposed to do that, you aren't going to need the rich mixture at low boost until you are accelerating quickly. It would just waste gas in cruise if it did. Alot of people tune cruise out of boost to be 15+ after, so stoich while your easing into boost is fine. It'll help avoid carbon fouling too to some degree too
Old 02-10-19, 08:33 AM
suprasoup
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
It's supposed to do that, you aren't going to need the rich mixture at low boost until you are accelerating quickly. It would just waste gas in cruise if it did. Alot of people tune cruise out of boost to be 15+ after, so stoich while your easing into boost is fine. It'll help avoid carbon fouling too to some degree too
Great, I kind of figured it was normal because it acted so well haha when actually jumping on boost and quickly corrects fuel.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-10-19, 08:39 AM
suprasoup
Driver

Default 650cc & SAFC NEO settings

Wondering if anyone would mine sharing there tune on SAFC with 650cc.

I'm looking to put in 650cc and I already have the NEO installed but zeroed out since I still have 440's in. I'm just looking for some pointers or general idea of how much fuel to pull and at what rpm points and from my understanding I should not adjust the low throttle points only the high throttle points is this still the case? Yes I do have a wideband and boost gauge and I have no issues with the car currently.

Thanks
Old 02-10-19, 09:37 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adjusting for 650’s with the NEO will be challenging. That’s 47.7% more fuel over stock. I believe I was at -25% offset for 550’s. The ecu had trouble maintaining a perfect idle / cruise 14.7 A/F with that 25% adjustment but it was decent.

The beauty of the JDM TT/ artisto mod is the simplicity / drive ability. The car will cold start, every time, like a stock car. With AEM V2 I struggled with enjoying the car. Go out to start it for a Sunday drive and it wouldn’t. Switching to the TT ecu was not a downgrade, I was increasing my enjoyment of the car by actually being able to drive it. Simply put, any ems needs an experienced tuner, and sorted setup to be enjoyable. My experience was frustrating, which is why when I returned the car back to stock and wanted to try again (with the TT mod), I installed the TT ecu before turbo / or any other variables.

I simplified my setup, purchased parts recommended by Ali, and had a 400whp 93 oct stock drive ability car. The best way is to get the setup ironed out, and later make changes once you hit barriers.

Last edited by HiPSI; 02-10-19 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aznexus (02-11-19)
Old 02-13-19, 02:57 PM
suprasoup
Driver

Ok, that pretty much sums it up for me then. I'm sticking with stock tune until I can go standalone. Thanks for your experience HiPSI.

Now still around the same topic something odd I have noticed. If I drive to the store or anywhere for that matter when I come back out and start the car the AFR's are lean 16-18 but if I blip the throttle sometimes more than once it will fix itself right away. I put a new fuel filter in and fuel pump is new with 12v mod and new injectors. Any idea on this?
Old 02-14-19, 07:53 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by suprasoup
Ok, that pretty much sums it up for me then. I'm sticking with stock tune until I can go standalone. Thanks for your experience HiPSI.

Now still around the same topic something odd I have noticed. If I drive to the store or anywhere for that matter when I come back out and start the car the AFR's are lean 16-18 but if I blip the throttle sometimes more than once it will fix itself right away. I put a new fuel filter in and fuel pump is new with 12v mod and new injectors. Any idea on this?
I experienced this same phenomena, and even reached out to Ali regarding it as I thought there was maybe a fuel or tune issue. From what Ali explained, this is caused from a hot engine / hot start and the initial turn over will cause the ecu to lean spike and then richen up shortly after. I believe I discussed this somewhere within this thread but finding it may be difficult.
Old 02-14-19, 08:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

suprasoup, glad its running well it sounds like. If you are looking for more power than the 440s support I would suggest going to 550s like HiPSI instead of the 660s also. 660 is alot of adjustment, and 550 is too but I ran 550s and the ecu can manage with that and a piggyback.

HiPSI is correct again , its the "Hot" lean start and happens on every 2jzge and 2jzgte unless it is a california version or obd2 which have an extra vsv on the fuel pressure regulator to bump up the fuel for a minute after a "hot" start.
It actually happens on most engines unless the ecu compensates for it or they have an extra vsv like I mentioned above, and you never really notice it unless you have a wideband but it can be alarming when you first see it.
Basically the engine actually gets hotter after you shut it down due to lack of coolant flow etc.. and it affects the combustion making it leaner, so basically you need more fuel at those higher temperatures or just wait till the engine temp stabilizes.

I actually have a wideband on my carbureted small block in the stingray (had it welded in the drivers side sidepipe), and it will be lean on hot starts as well.
Generally it clears up as soon as you give it some real load or blip the throttle a few times.

It is not dangerous although I would give it a minute after a hot start before rippping it to 20 psi etc.. but generally no one has had an issue with it.
California decided to put a vsv on the obd1 cars to bump up the fuel on a "hot" start, because having it that lean does not allow the catylitic converter to burn off correctly which means hot starts dump emissions like nox etx..
This is why they also did it on all the cars when obd2 came, because the federal emissions got stricter also like california.

That is also a good note for people working on na-t, if your car is cali spec and not federal, you might have a few things extra to deal with as not everything is the same (that vsv, injectors?, etc.. can't remember them all anymore).
Old 02-14-19, 06:06 PM
suprasoup
Driver

Originally Posted by HiPSI

I experienced this same phenomena, and even reached out to Ali regarding it as I thought there was maybe a fuel or tune issue. From what Ali explained, this is caused from a hot engine / hot start and the initial turn over will cause the ecu to lean spike and then richen up shortly after. I believe I discussed this somewhere within this thread but finding it may be difficult.
Great, thank you.
​​
Old 02-14-19, 06:08 PM
suprasoup
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
suprasoup, glad its running well it sounds like. If you are looking for more power than the 440s support I would suggest going to 550s like HiPSI instead of the 660s also. 660 is alot of adjustment, and 550 is too but I ran 550s and the ecu can manage with that and a piggyback.

HiPSI is correct again , its the "Hot" lean start and happens on every 2jzge and 2jzgte unless it is a california version or obd2 which have an extra vsv on the fuel pressure regulator to bump up the fuel for a minute after a "hot" start.
It actually happens on most engines unless the ecu compensates for it or they have an extra vsv like I mentioned above, and you never really notice it unless you have a wideband but it can be alarming when you first see it.
Basically the engine actually gets hotter after you shut it down due to lack of coolant flow etc.. and it affects the combustion making it leaner, so basically you need more fuel at those higher temperatures or just wait till the engine temp stabilizes.

I actually have a wideband on my carbureted small block in the stingray (had it welded in the drivers side sidepipe), and it will be lean on hot starts as well.
Generally it clears up as soon as you give it some real load or blip the throttle a few times.

It is not dangerous although I would give it a minute after a hot start before rippping it to 20 psi etc.. but generally no one has had an issue with it.
California decided to put a vsv on the obd1 cars to bump up the fuel on a "hot" start, because having it that lean does not allow the catylitic converter to burn off correctly which means hot starts dump emissions like nox etx..
This is why they also did it on all the cars when obd2 came, because the federal emissions got stricter also like california.

That is also a good note for people working on na-t, if your car is cali spec and not federal, you might have a few things extra to deal with as not everything is the same (that vsv, injectors?, etc.. can't remember them all anymore).
Wow thanks for the long explanation. I love knowing how things work and the reasoning behind it..

This thread has a plethora of knowledge and experience and I really appreciate everyone that has contributed to it. Really its an amazing mod for reliable performance.

Im going to enjoy the car the way it is setup currently and later upgrade. Right now I have the boost set at about 1.2bar and car is still pretty rich hitting 10.2-10.5 at full boost and 3rd gear breaks loose pretty easy with 255's in the rear so I'm going to address that first before going with more power.

Last edited by suprasoup; 02-14-19 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod