SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-13, 07:26 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you went on leatherseats.com, what leather did you pick, Ivory or tan? Flat Smooth Inserts or Gathered Inserts?
Old 09-09-13, 06:01 PM
SportC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if this thread is still being updated or not but I just noticed it yesterday and I must give you props on such a perfect OEM factory restore!
Old 09-10-13, 07:34 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW God bless you man. That is some deep, deep love for ones SC. Thanks for sharing. Awesome thread
Old 09-10-13, 10:00 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is one of my favorite threads on this forum, I read it a few days ago, and forgot about it but now remembered it, I want to get my SC atleast 1/4 of how your car is lol.
Old 09-17-13, 05:05 PM
pureSEKS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one of the best restorations I've ever seen! Well done sir
Old 05-22-15, 10:18 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 5 Year Update

Well, I've now owned the car for over 5 years now and it's now 22 years old so I thought I'd give an update. The restoration is more or less done, did a few more maintenance and cosmetic items to it this spring as I get it ready for this summer and hopefully many summers to come. Thanks to everyone for all the support and encouragement throughout the process, couldn't have done it without CL and the incredible wealth of information it offers.

Sent off the instrument cluster to Lextech last year, took around 3 months and the results were pretty bad, wasn't happy with the quality of the new needles, or LED backlighting. Took the cluster apart and noticed the backlight upgrade was just a loosely attached strip of LEDs that with a couple wires cold soldered to the strip. I ended up pulling the whole thing back apart soldering on new wires to the LED strip and using some epoxy to ensure it would never move. The Lextech waterfall needles were very dim in the day light, I replaced them with some pristine red needles I had pulled from a damaged 96' SC400 cluster a while ago. Had to do some minor modification to the cluster to get the '96 needles to work, but it turned out nicely. Was hard to get a good shot of it.
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-a6cwvhs.jpg

I also found that I had a bad damper in the HVAC unit causing heating to intermittently work depending on which direction I turned. After checking the heater core and control valve I realized one of the actuators on the HVAC unit was bad and had snapped the shaft connected to one of the dampers, so I ended up having to pull the entire dash and wiring out to get to the airbox, so never wanting to go through that misery again I bought an HVAC unit from a newer SC, dismantled it and cleaned it up, replaced all the foam on the dampers, and lubricated all the moving parts to ensure it would not happen again. Also ended up replacing the A/C expansion valve and receiver/dryer and replaced all the A/C O rings to keep things working for years to come. The whole process took almost 20 hours, but all is working excellently again.

While I had the dash out I sent out the steering wheel to have the leather replaced. I ended up using Craft Customs in Texas to do the job, it cost $275 and was well worth it, they did a great job. The quality/color match was excellent and the stitching matched the factory wheel perfectly.
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-wzep6rb.jpg

Here's a few more pics after I got the SC back together, cleaned up and ready for the spring.
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-lsqthbu.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-iw0dd27.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-t7mzvno.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-woqx1p2.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-8x0zqje.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-fjn1qxh.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-d5hgvtq.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-3tfpx4b.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-drkfyg9.jpg
Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-ndxgin8.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	d5hGVTq.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	642.8 KB
ID:	494355
Name:  IzaNyIA.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  527.1 KB
Old 05-22-15, 11:01 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing resorption! Looks as if you just drove it off the lot since everything looks all original!
Old 05-23-15, 06:51 AM
TokinSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very nice job, Scotty. That's a very clean SC.
Old 05-28-15, 06:22 PM
Kia96SC300
Driver School Candidate

great work, impressed...hows the 91 camry holding up?
Old 09-24-15, 02:30 PM
MadlyMad
Driver School Candidate

I have '95 Lexus SC400 (Royal Jade Pearl paint color) with tan interior. My left upper window door trim panel has a cut right in the middle and is growing. Am looking for another. Would anyone know of an available one?
Old 09-25-15, 12:03 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by MadlyMad
I have '95 Lexus SC400 (Royal Jade Pearl paint color) with tan interior. My left upper window door trim panel has a cut right in the middle and is growing. Am looking for another. Would anyone know of an available one?
May be impossible to find another one in decent shape and for a price that may not be worth it.....

If you are in NorCal, there is a person in Santa Clara that specializes in repairing/restoring our door and window panels. He repaired and re-enforced both of mine and while expensive the results were stellar.

Here is a "before" and "after".....
Attached Thumbnails Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-sc300-136.jpg   Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!-sc300-131.jpg  
Old 09-25-15, 02:03 PM
MadlyMad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
May be impossible to find another one in decent shape and for a price that may not be worth it.....

If you are in NorCal, there is a person in Santa Clara that specializes in repairing/restoring our door and window panels. He repaired and re-enforced both of mine and while expensive the results were stellar.

Here is a "before" and "after".....
Thank you for your quick response. Can you give me the name/phone number/website of that guy in Santa Clara. I am in Southern California. I can call him and perhaps have the door trim panel removed and sent to him for repair.
Old 09-25-15, 05:04 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

PM sent......
Old 09-25-15, 06:19 PM
MadlyMad
Driver School Candidate

Again, thank you. Much appreciated.

Madeleine
Old 01-01-22, 04:24 PM
River2016
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow I know this is a necropost but damn man
The following 2 users liked this post by River2016:
Photon440 (01-02-22), Shayy (01-02-22)

Quick Reply: Another SC restoration. Making that 17 year old car look like new!