SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wheel lift concepts - ideas and suggestions welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 06:50 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a pic of a person who did something similar with a truck and pneumatic ram:

He wanted a method of keeping the car more stable in the corners, but I will only be activating the system when i'm going up driveways. The rest of the time the valve will be open and allow for free travel, with very minimal damping effects.
Old 02-27-10, 09:15 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

If you have the skills, go for it.

How about just making a pneumatic front bumper that lifts up for speed bumps? Might be even cheaper.
Old 02-27-10, 09:20 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been working on this concept for awhile, Hope to have it done soon. Aircups just cost to much, I think mine will work great!
Old 02-28-10, 08:10 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tavarish
here's a pic of a person who did something similar with a truck and pneumatic ram:

He wanted a method of keeping the car more stable in the corners, but I will only be activating the system when i'm going up driveways. The rest of the time the valve will be open and allow for free travel, with very minimal damping effects.
again you are showing examples of the rear wheels. you want to put it on the FRONT. if you put any type of a ram there you wont be able to turn the wheels.
Old 02-28-10, 08:28 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I plan on mine being tiny and compact, everyone will have to wait for the unveil. I really like the concept. Bags or cans are great but the ride sucks, this will allow you to have a performace/comfort ride on coilovers, go really low, and let me lift the front to get in my drive.
Old 02-28-10, 09:16 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

i think it's doable. you're going to have to have it pushing down on the upper control arm. then a lot of work to reinforce the inner fender so make sure the ram doesn't launch through it.

this can't be driven any distance w/ the ram extended. so it's going to be only up for slow approaches on speed bumps, ramps, etc.

how are you going to weather proof everything? i assume you'll need a powered pump pushing the oil. how strong would that pump be? any moisture in the oil lines will also cause the system to freeze up.

also over extension...would that cause issues with springs jumping out of the seats or shifting of the springs since you're virtually unloading it?

actually come to think of it...i think it's more efficient if you use a scissor jack (or something similar) w/ a 12v motor spinning it. this reduces the oil issue and freezing. just put a boot over the scissor thread and motor and you're good to go.

it'll be a little slower but depending on how fast the motor spins and what gear reduction you use it might work.
not saying it will work...but another idea for you...
http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Sciss.../dp/B000P0RP0I

Last edited by mktbully; 02-28-10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-28-10, 09:25 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mktbully
i think it's doable. you're going to have to have it pushing down on the upper control arm. then a lot of work to reinforce the inner fender so make sure the ram doesn't launch through it.

this can't be driven any distance w/ the ram extended. so it's going to be only up for slow approaches on speed bumps, ramps, etc.

how are you going to weather proof everything? i assume you'll need a powered pump pushing the oil. how strong would that pump be? any moisture in the oil lines will also cause the system to freeze up.

also over extension...would that cause issues with springs jumping out of the seats or shifting of the springs since you're virtually unloading it?
I can tether it to the frame rail and I can use pneumatic operation, so I can just get a cheap compressor and airtank and control it via an electronic valve.

I'll weatherproof everything by putting boots on the ram and seeing how it fares. I'll make an enclosure as well, it won't be that hard.

I'm gonna go measure the clearance.

I don't think overextension will be an issue if I match the length of the throw on the ram. It will be on hinges so it can more freely and not bend the ram as it's extending.

I also think I'll be pushing on the lower control arm, as it's made of steel and less susceptible to cracking. than the aluminum upper control arm.
Old 02-28-10, 09:31 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tavarish
I can tether it to the frame rail and I can use pneumatic operation, so I can just get a cheap compressor and airtank and control it via an electronic valve.

I'll weatherproof everything by putting boots on the ram and seeing how it fares. I'll make an enclosure as well, it won't be that hard.

I'm gonna go measure the clearance.

I don't think overextension will be an issue if I match the length of the throw on the ram. It will be on hinges so it can more freely and not bend the ram as it's extending.

I also think I'll be pushing on the lower control arm, as it's made of steel and less susceptible to cracking. than the aluminum upper control arm.
check out my edited post...

that's ideal to hit the lower arm..but then your ram must cross over all the suspension, steering and brake components to even reach the lower arm. you're better off clamping a steel pad on the upper alum arm to spread out the load. i mean you're not going far with it up...maybe 10ft max and not fast either..right?

also when retracted where are you going to put that ram? the SC fenders are not that high.
Old 02-28-10, 09:37 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

I'll make some measurements and take some pics and get back to you.
Old 02-28-10, 10:03 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why would air lines freeze in the winter?
Old 02-28-10, 10:05 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
why would air lines freeze in the winter?
residual water vapor in the lines.
Old 02-28-10, 10:05 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

water can accumulate in the compressor and get into the lines and eventually freeze. you would need an air-dryer system or alcohol injection system..OTR/Line drivers have this problem all the time with the air brakes
Old 03-04-10, 09:45 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

I looked underneath the car, and there is a perfect spot for this right behind the shock. I can get away with using a 2-4" ram if I find one that isn't too bad price wise. I'll take some pics.
Old 03-10-10, 07:01 PM
JGore99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anymore news on this? also I have a '69 Chevy C10 with air ride and theres no problems in the winter or anything. You just have to make sure to run a water trap/inline oiler like this SMC one