SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Nasty electrical shorting issue (ECU-IG fuse) with culprit found

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 09:23 PM
TO_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty electrical shorting issue (ECU-IG fuse) with culprit found

Recording my recent experience with a short in my electrical system, in case anyone is searching the forums like I do so often.

So I started the car one day and four fuses blew at once. In the engine compartment (left), the two 15A fuses for the headlights and in the left kick panel, the TAIL 15A and ECU-IG 15A. Luckily nothing critical because it was a helluva cold day out, but the ABS light came on, and I lost: headlights, tail lights, power steering, power windows, moon roof, Cruise Control, telescopic tilt steering, and the power antenna. I replaced all of the fuses, but one kept blowing once I turned the key to "ON", the ECU-IG fuse. Nasty little bugger, it's responsible for power to non-critical ECU's in the vehicle. This includes: power steering, power windows, moon roof, Cruise Control, telescopic tilt steering, and the power antenna.

After methodically disconnecting system after system, I found the issue. Water had pooled in the driver's side bottom pocket of the trunk, the drainage tube plugging the hole which would let the water escape. Still don't know how the water got there, looks like it might be a leak in the seal around the power antenna. In any case, sitting in that pool of water was the T16 and T17 connectors, which are for the Telephone Transceiver and Speaker relay. I pulled those systems ages ago so I simply snipped the T16 connector which has the live power in it. The connector has shorted and a hole had burned through the plastic.

So if your ECU-IG fuse keeps blowing, have a look in your trunk in those bottom 'pockets'. Best of luck!