SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

drilled/slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-02, 08:39 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilled/slotted rotors

was up people, im getting some rotors from lexusSC400.com, my questions is what would you prefer?

Slotted?
Drilled?
Slotted&Drilled?

what experiences have you people have with the rotors?

i just want them not to crack, i drive real hard in so cal, sudden freeway stops, traffic, etc.

so tell me what ya think, i want to get them early this week.

thanx
Xavier
Old 05-05-02, 09:00 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to drive REALLY hard in order to get a quality set of cross drilled rotors (and sometimes slotted) to crack. My friend (who drives REALLY hard by the way, 120-0mph more than a few times, and im in a climate that changes rapidly) had 3 tiny cracks on 3 drilled areas and those were powerslot rotors (i believe). Cast drilled rotors do not have the same problems as cross drilled rotors, but they are hard to find (the only set I've seen is by a German company that have rotors that range in size from 13" to 15")

As for slotted, I would reccomend curved slotted rotors (if you can find them) as I've heard that straight line slotted rotors tend to eat the brake pads more.

I think that the BEST option for the SC at this point are the EBC rotors BUT they only come for the rear, if they had Supra TT fronts (or SC fronts) I would have bought those instead without thinking twice. The EBC rotors are curved slots and dimpled instead of cross drilled.

Be sure that whatever pair you get that they are plated to prevent rust.

Personally, I have slotted and cross drilled on my car but for only the past 100 miles.
Old 05-06-02, 02:51 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Seriously,Do you think that you drive hard enough to NEED crossdrilled rotors? For the most part they are for looks on a daily driven car.
As for problems with them: A lot of tuners use the 'pit' style instead of straight through holes to avoid cracking.
But remember these are PRO racing cars.

Sudden freeway stops require good brakes but in no way would require crossdrilled/slotted ones.
~Em
Old 05-06-02, 08:05 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have Slotted&drilled, you'll actually see a decrease in proformance. They are made for road racing, where brake fade is an evil phrase. The best solution is either slotted, or drilled. I'd go slotted, cause when they drill right through the rotor, the lower the structual intergity of the rotor.

Just my .02
Old 05-06-02, 08:22 AM
Mistical
Rookie

Default Cross Drilled Coated Rotors

I have cross drilled and slotted rotors and find them awesome. My braking power is fantastic. Stick with ceramic pads, they are great too. The only thing I don't like is that the slots make braking loud. This past weekend, I had to file 45 degree angles into the slots to quite them down. These rotors are a year old, so they have had some use, but I couldn't tell you if this is a common thing. I like what hellasboy said about curved slots, that might be an idea. It may help keep them quiet, but it would make it difficult if you ware down the 45 degree angle already cut in them and have to redo it. At least with mine, I can take a file and smooth them out. It is pretty easy and only took 2 hours of my time. Other things I have read is about coating your rotors. Some come coated or plated and will out last other rotors in harsher climates. Some of the coating even helps with heat, as well as rust. I painted my rotors with 1200 or 1600 degree paint and had them thermocycled....Heated and cooled to extreme temperatures to maintain durability. I live in Chicago, so this was necessary. It's a year later, and my rotors look and feel fantastic!
Old 05-06-02, 09:02 AM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default well

on my LS400 ive managed to crack, and get hot spots on the factory rotors. so i guess i drive hard enough.

ive also had that problem with my integra and eclipse.

as for high speeds on the way out of town i tend to keep and average of 110-130 mph on the empty desert hwy's (yes i have plenty of speeding tickets)

i would like to make a desision today, so i can order them from lexusSC400.com, i know there are alot of complaints with them, but there under new managment, so ill be the guinea pig, they seem pretty straigt foward now, so ill try them and let you guys know.

Xavier
Old 05-06-02, 09:10 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SupraTT brakes are slotted
Old 05-06-02, 09:12 AM
Mistical
Rookie

Do you have a link to the rotors you are considering? I can give you an honest comparison to what I have based on specs.
Old 05-06-02, 12:47 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: well

Originally posted by Chairmnofthbord
i would like to make a desision today, so i can order them from lexusSC400.com, i know there are alot of complaints with them, but there under new managment, so ill be the guinea pig, they seem pretty straigt foward now, so ill try them and let you guys know. Xavier
Check with www.cyberauto.com to compare price. Let us know which one you pick...
Old 05-06-02, 07:35 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

http://www.lexussc400.com/cgi-bin/st...product=brakes

the top ones for $350

tell me what you think as soo as you can, thanx

Xavier
Old 05-07-02, 07:26 AM
Mistical
Rookie

Well....it sounds like you really want to get them. From a distance, they look like mine. I would ask the brand, what they are made of, and if they are coated. You should also ask if the wholes are counter sinked and if the slots edges are smoothed to a 45 degree angle. When I said that my brakes were loud, I should have mentioned that they were annoying too. It felt like they were grinding. The holes must be counter sinked and the slots should be \_/ not |_|.
Old 05-07-02, 05:25 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default brand

there BRADI i think he said, so ill try them out and let all you guys know how they feel. unless you know something about that brand that i dont?
Old 05-08-02, 07:08 AM
Mistical
Rookie

Yea....file the slots before you put them on. I hated my Bradi's when I first put them on.
Old 05-08-02, 06:31 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default Mystical

can i use Lexus OEM pads? there pretty quiet, have an angle to the pads and dont leave alot of dust?
Old 05-09-02, 07:31 AM
Mistical
Rookie

I used RayBestos Quiet Stop Ceramic brake pads on the front and stock in back. I understand that the "Green Stuff" brake pads sold at tirerack.com are nice too. Lexus pads will work just fine, but I found that there were alternatives that could be better and that were at a cheaper price. In fact, RayBestos was the reason I found out that it was the slots causing all the noise. They came out to my work, looked at my car, went for a ride and offered a new set of pads. I took my car to one of their stores and they turned my rotors, filed down the groves, and gave me a new set of pads. They did all that just incase it was the pads making noise. A fantastic company! I would do business with them again, so check them out. http://www.raybestos.com/quietstop.htm I would compare all three just to be sure pick the best one for you.

Quick Reply: drilled/slotted rotors