SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY : Activate 95+ fog lights WITHOUT the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 02:53 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to activate 95+ fog lights WITHOUT the headlights

EDIT: THIS IS IMPORTANT, reread this post if you havent already.

After thinking about this some more i realize that what i wrote before MAY not work. (but i believe it still will)

Fact: The 95+ headlight switch has 2 circuits. A voltage+, and 3 wires going to parking lights, headlights and auto; respectfully. Then their is a separate circuit consisting of 2 wires both going to the fog light switch.

Theory: I believe the only logical reason that the fog light switch gets it own circuit is because the voltage to the fog light switch gets switched on when the headlight switch get power.

Experiment :
If you remove the panel that has the foot light, you can see the wires running under steering column toward the center console side. Two of those wires should be black (their may be more black wires btw). You will need to take a multimeter and with the fogs off determine if which wire is live. Then determine the flow of current and cut the + black wire going into the switch and connect it onto a 12v wire

Now for the moment of truth. Turn on your car (yes do this just to make sure the switch is working) Then flip the fog lights switch. 2 things will happen. Either the fogs will work or they wont.

If they do work, you are set.

On the other hand If the fogs dont turn on at all, this means the relay which controls the fogs also gets its power only when the headlights are on. In this case, you'll have to wire up your own b+ signal to that relay.

P.S. I do not take any responsibility for any damaged caused to your car by this modification.

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-05-09 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 06:27 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Hell yes. I've been wanting to do this forever. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter so I'll just guess.
Old 09-02-09, 06:35 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeembo
I don't have a multimeter so I'll just guess.
Cheap Multimeter
Old 09-02-09, 09:29 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good post up Ryeno!!

I just did that to my 93 project car. Only diff is I asked my resident expert Lexus/Wiring guy Dan Osypian if he could do it for me. He removed the whole stalk off of the wrecked 2000 SC300, and replaced the one on my 93. He then wired up everything to work like stock, so when I install my fogs, they will look and work like stock.

Ryan
Old 09-02-09, 11:02 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Does the switch still turn them on and off or are they on all the time the ignition is on?? im wanting to be able to use the stock switch to turn them on and off anytime, is this what this mod does???
Old 09-02-09, 01:21 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post maybe

im thinking that you control them with teh switch if your car came with it. because without this mod you can turn the fogs on by the switch but the lights wont actually come on until the headlights are activated. two seperate switches on the same stalk.
Old 09-02-09, 01:23 PM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
Thanks man. I haven't done much in the way of electrical stuff so I didn't know if I'd break stuff by accidentally connecting the wrong one (hence the semi-baiting post ).

I'd also like to know the answer to ineed's question.
Old 09-02-09, 06:50 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the write up, I have wanted to do this in the past! Now I know how! Thanks again
Old 09-03-09, 12:22 AM
Lexscme
Pole Position

more pics with the write up. Step by step info plz
Old 09-04-09, 02:19 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not being able to turn on the foglights separately from the headlights, was one the only drawback to having actual OEM foglights on 95+ models....Good write up!
Old 09-04-09, 04:30 AM
Ryeno
Banned

i updated my post. If you guys havent already, please reread it.
Old 09-04-09, 04:35 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

if you wired in that 95+ stalk into a 92-94 and you wired the cornerlights, could you control it with that switch?
Old 09-04-09, 04:42 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
if you wired in that 95+ stalk into a 92-94 and you wired the cornerlights, could you control it with that switch?
yes thats exactly what i am doing. I was going to make another diy for that. But basically you just do the relay mod for your corners. Then you run a wire from the relay to the cabin area, up the steering column and to that switch. The only problem is tapping into the white wire for the switch wont give you enough power to flip it. So you just tap the gray acc wire going into the headunit.

btw for a clean install you drill a hole in the fuse box right next to the oem wire grommet and put the relay inside it, right there. Then tap into the power right before it distributes in the fuse box and use a fuse box screw for the rleay ground. Also ground each fog light to the chassis. That way you only need to run 2 or 3 wires in the engine bay.

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-04-09 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 09:25 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a DIY for the supras. I think its pretty much the same concept... If you have the manual, i'd trace the color code of the wire and do it from under the dash instead of taking all those things apart... I want to do this as well but just been soooooooooooo lazy heheheee

Link for the supra fog light rewire. I did this for my cousin's supra about a year ago.
http://the-ish.com/supra/?p=13
Old 09-04-09, 11:13 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

there's got to be an easier way. im going to have to tinker with this on my day off and see what i can do.

Quick Reply: DIY : Activate 95+ fog lights WITHOUT the headlights