SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

check out my lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-02, 11:23 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check out my lights

ok heres what i did, i had a hard time seeing with these horrible headlights and they were looking very dull and foggy, so i polished them. I polished the headlight, the brights, and the turn lights. The polishing made a difference, the light is a clearer and crisper, still not as bright as i would like, but it helped, and looks like new.

and i also wired up the lights so the side light are on whenever the parking lights are on, but still get brighter when it flashes.

check them out tell me what ya think.

http://www.pbase.com/xavier/lexus_light
Old 04-14-02, 12:08 AM
mor-power
Rookie

WOW.... what do you use to polish them? really nice and sharp!
Old 04-14-02, 12:15 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

i can never polish mine enuff to get the yellow fog off my headlights. i never tried sanding tho. can u tell us wat u used to polish?
Old 04-14-02, 02:43 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chair, what wattage are those auxiliary light bulbs? The one's in between the low beam and turn signal? They look really bright and really white. And what brand of polish is that??? Thanks for the pics!
Old 04-14-02, 02:47 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Also, what's the wattage of the signal lamps you're using? Have you checked the wire harnesses for melting or warping yet?
Old 04-14-02, 10:07 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

what year is your car?
I'm missing something, how did you convert yellow turn light(one next to wedge light)to white? looks nice

Before, I thought of converting "cornering light" to be on whenever head lights are on. but never thought of converting "turning signal on". I might wanna do that.

I have changed my wedge light to super white but I didn't like it since looks like blue. but it starts fading the color and looks white now :P.
Attached Thumbnails check out my lights-wedge.jpg  
Old 04-14-02, 10:10 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

could you share how you wired up those blinkers?

I've been meaning to do something similar, but haven't gotten around to it yet...
Old 04-14-02, 10:43 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Taka, what brand of bulb is that and where did you get it?
Old 04-14-02, 12:53 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default hey people

POLISHING

1 did wetsand the lights.

2 there regular 5 watt lights, the polishing makes them brighter.

3 i use 3M swirl remover, works and leaves no haze, if you try rubbing compond it will leave super light swirls, and that will make it appear hazy, you can use plastic polish, although i never have.

here's a HOW TO i did. I did it in a hurry http://www.pbase.com/xavier/polishing_lights

LIGHTING

1 the signal lights are the factory srock lights, all i did was use a clear bulb instead of an amber bulb.

2 melting or warping, no, the car comes wired, and has the buld, wiring, and plug already for this set up, my guess is in japan and/or europe they have the lights set up like this. all you do is run 1 wire, super easy.

Here's a HOW TO on the wiring http://www.pbase.com/xavier/wiring
Old 04-14-02, 01:11 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Yes but who manufacturers the bulbs you're using??? The Toyota bulbs for the 5w auxiliary are yellowish white, whereas your pics show a cool white. Same if you were to buy the singal bulbs from Kragen, they would be a warm white, not a cool white.
Old 04-14-02, 01:33 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default thats it

from kragen, silvania #194, i think they just llok good in the pic, but i think they look like everyone elses, there are some 5w bulbs at kragen that are $8 ea. but there brighter, i didnt get them because there $8 ea, and because im not sure if the encloser can handel the extra heat, you'll see what i mean when you look at them. but they are supposed to be alot brighter. but once you light up your signal lights they will all match up, and it will look fine, then with the polishing it will look real classy. IMO.
Old 04-14-02, 03:00 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, I'll check them out! Does anyone know if the 8w bulbs damage the headlight housing? 'Cause I know there was a thread on this a long time ago, but I can't find it.
Old 04-14-02, 05:42 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

ok so let me get this straight.. u jus clean the out side of the headlight housing correct? Or did u take the headlight unit completely apart and cleaned the internal area as well? The outer part of my headlight has been sanded and polished and looks nice but I still notice that there are water stains on the inside that i need to clean. I know that u have to take the headlights off and put them in the oven and heat it up to take it apart but my question is how long do u leave it in and at what temp?? I dont want to risk melting the headlight.
Old 04-14-02, 06:11 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default Huh

ok that pic that you see me working on is my BROKEN headlamp, i used it to illustrate the HOW TO, if you look at my headlamps on the car you will see that they are fine. I didnt take apart the lamp at all, i simply wetsanded and polished the outside, thats where all the fading, pits, chips, and dulling takes place, if you sand it, and buff it, you remove all of that.

Also, i only did a quick job on the lamp in the HOW TO, to show people how i did it.

The only time the inside gets damaged is when the lamp has a leak in it. If you have a leak in your lamp then i guess your screwed, or is there something you can do about it?

As for taking it apart, ive heard that a heatgun will work. but never tried it.
Old 04-14-02, 10:33 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I wanna convert turning signal light to white but, just wondering if it's illegal in some states.

Quick Reply: check out my lights