SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

JDMMuscle Photoshoot version 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-09, 06:47 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
I just did some more research and yes your right cooling the brakes would prevent brake fade. BUT with that being said, just putting a tube into your front bumper, pointed at your brakes isnt going to do anything. I mean look at rain falling and your car going forward. The rain will go over the cabin area because of air flow. Well the samething would happen to the air coming from that tube. The spinning tires would just push the air away. You wouldnt get a clear air flow to the rotors. PLUS you still have the dust sheilds preventing any of that air from touching the rotors.
You are completely wrong here. If this was ineffective why would so many companies make them for so many models of cars, both street and race? Do a simple google search for "brake cooling ducts" and see what you can find. They are made for Mini, SVTs, Corvettes, Gt-3, BMW, and tons of other applications.

You really believe that rain won't touch my car while I am driving in it? Last time I checked, when I drive in the rain, my windshield as well as front bumper definitely get wet, and it will have that effect with a vent in my front bumper? In order for the rain to not touch my car, I would have to be moving at an extremely high rate of speed (something I would never be comfortable doing in the rain in an SC). And even if the air going around the car was the case, why would a radiator be mounted in the front of the car usually with a hole in the bumper to provide airflow? If your "theory" is correct, the radiator would not do anything to cool the engine by being in the front of the car with nothing in front of it. Additionally, the air doesn't need to touch the brakes, the cooling is done through something called convection.

Oh and djb5118 if i am reading your last paragraph right then i think you are combing 2 different points. All cars, not just high performance cars and trucks, have vented front rotors or ribs as that article says. So i would assume by vented it means drilled and slotted. Well thats not even what we are talking about here. Drilled and slotted rotors prevent brake fad by removing brake gasses caused by the extreme heating of the pads. But they dont cool down the rotors to prevent brake fad. Its 2 different concepts.

Actually while talking about drilled and slotted rotors, they are actually worse on a street car, because they remove an amount of metal that can adsorb and dissipate heat. Plus your car wont be opperating in temp where you would experience brake fad caused by gas buildup. So they actually decrease your braking. Not to mention eventually you will develop cracks.
You missed my point with that quote. We aren't discussing the advantages/disadvantages of drilled or slotted rotors. I used that point to further illustrate that the vents "allow heat to dissipate quicker." Just adding to the point that having hot brakes is in no way a good thing to have.

And even if the air didn't directly hit the brakes, there is no way you can try to tell me that more airflow is detrimental to the cars functioning? If the air doesn't hit the brakes directly there could be a chance of it going into the engine bay, but that would be bad to have a cool engine wouldn't it?
Old 07-13-09, 06:52 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

you want to give any proof to the contrary, btw you might want to read this (or the whole thread)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...4&postcount=61
"Drilled rotors, or rotors cast with holes in them run hotter than blank face rotors, as the holes allow hot gasses into the cooling vanes in the middle of the rotor, and prevent proper air flow though the rotor."

If having hot brakes was helpful, then why do even stock rotors have cooling veins?

hot tires=good
hot brakes=bad
Old 07-13-09, 07:01 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

oh here dude, read up on brake fade why don't ya?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

"The Bugatti Veyron for example has turbine cooled[citation needed] brakes that reduce fade to almost nothing considering the speeds it is braking from."

OH wait, a 1001hp car has COOLED BRAKES?
Old 07-13-09, 08:56 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Changes to the car looks real good and i am feeling the background, cant wait to see stage 2
Old 07-13-09, 09:40 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

COME ON GIRLS, WAY TO DERAIL A THREAD.

Grant, ride is looking sick broham!! I don't know if you got my txts over the weekend..... as always long way from the camry doggie!!!!
Old 07-13-09, 09:55 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda like the bare front end, it's more agressive raw looking...goes well with what he's aiming for. It looks odd to some of us because the color of white will show every detail and that we're so used to seeing the "complete" package....either way, looks good to me. On to the next phase please
Old 07-14-09, 12:43 AM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow triple post here.

Alright let me wrap it up here. "The Bugatti Veyron for example has turbine cooled.." thats right turbine cooled. Maybe you missed that one word but it makes all the difference. Without that turbine, your naturally asspired air will just get deflected by the tires. Simple as that. You cant just jam a tube in your bumper and expect to replicate high performance parts. Not to mention the Bugattis tubing is going to go right on top of the rotor.
Are you saying that unless you stick a supercharger onto your brake ducting, that its useless?
Old 07-14-09, 12:52 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love it! Cant wait to see what happens next!!!
Old 07-14-09, 01:45 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

i came home and saw a bunch of new comments for grants thread, but sadly its from a bunch of fools going way off topic.

anyhow, grant i love the car, i didnt know you had the fogs out for that reason, good stuff man.

now ryeno, let me ask you, do you think those enthusiasts will laugh at these cars for their brake ducting?

and look at the stupid effing ducts on this pagani. how dumb right? they obviously need ryeno as their consultant.

Old 07-14-09, 04:18 AM
OMD
Pole Position

WTF is wrong with that guy!? must be something wrong with his head or something.. almost every post he posts is some crazy idea or bad advice or unnecessary criticism! he doesn't even get that my first post to this thread was sarcasm(to him)!

NOW LETS STOP ALL THIS NOW! create another thread if you wanna argue about cooling ducts man!!!! and get back on topic!!!

now JDM, when are we gonna see stage two?
Old 07-14-09, 05:25 AM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Wow triple post here.

Alright let me wrap it up here. "The Bugatti Veyron for example has turbine cooled.." thats right turbine cooled. Maybe you missed that one word but it makes all the difference. Without that turbine, your naturally asspired air will just get deflected by the tires. Simple as that. You cant just jam a tube in your bumper and expect to replicate high performance parts. Not to mention the Bugattis tubing is going to go right on top of the rotor.

I know that but what i am saying is your illistration is wrong because those vents dont allow the heat to dissipate. You even quoted that right here.

its called drag.

If what you were doing is soo good, dont you think we would be seeing everyone do it. Like turbocharging. Honestly this sounds like something you would read in toyotanation.

you took everything i said compeltely out of context. Additionaly, I think it's pretty obvious that venting brakes are effective with the photos that were added after my post. If you want to discuss this over pm's let me know, id be happy to break down every word that i posted.

with that being said, grant get your damn body work done!
Old 07-14-09, 05:29 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a drop dead gorgeous SC! Love those wheels, thanks for the great pics!
Old 07-14-09, 01:09 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did some more research and yes your right cooling the brakes would prevent brake fade. BUT with that being said, just putting a tube into your front bumper, pointed at your brakes isnt going to do anything. The spinning tires would just push the air away. You wouldnt get a clear air flow to the rotors. PLUS you still have the dust sheilds preventing any of that air from touching the rotors.
I just don't understand why he always seems to do this...
He invade peoples threads saying ignorant *****, then posts up his own threads with even more ignorant *****- such as yarn air bags and crashing into houses...

Here are some pics of RoadRace Supra setups which ACTUALLY WORK! [Shock!!!] (So the same holds true for the SC chassis.)
First pic, the TwinsTurbo Time-Attack Supra. They fabbed a metal plate/duct opening with a hole for the duct on the back side of where the rotors shielding was located to make sure the air reaches the rotors. The next pics down are SKS's RoadRace 'easy/effective' setup. Just trim part of the hole in the factory shield to make sure the air reaches the rotor. It's just that easy, and yes it works.

Twins-Turbo Time-Attack Supra:

SKS RoadRace Supra (Cheap and functional):

SKS RR Supra- Through the factory shield, right next to where the rotors on each side will be.
I'm sure someone could make it look better, but it's functional- and that's the point.

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 07-14-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-14-09, 01:22 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

wow, who would'a thought that that actually works?

Old 07-14-09, 01:27 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

One of the reasons why I visit the SC forum is to see Ryeno troll threads and get told by people who actually know what they're talking about.

Quick Reply: JDMMuscle Photoshoot version 2.0