SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

$#@%@#$%@#^# my sc has been hit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 11:09 PM
kevincao01
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scshinobi
i was thinking theres one shop that quotes VERY expensive and i can use that for insurance then take it to lexus and pay them to do the repairs and have a little extra maybe
Sounds like a plan. Just make sure you end up using Lexus or another company that is well known for their good work. From what I've seen, it's difficult to match the stock white pearl you have. You don't want to end up having it not match, then having to drop another few hundred on a repaint.

You might want to get a quote from Lexus to.
Old 05-27-08, 11:13 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincao01
Go through Lexus. You don't have to worry about paint matching if Lexus does the job, and they will most likely charge a lot more than $500 for it. Dealerships are usually partnered up with very reputable paint shops in the area that will make sure you are completely happy in the end. Dealership prices are high for a reason: They do it right the first time.
if that was only true. working with dealers, body shops, and knowing a lot of people that work for dealers and at body shops....the dealer doesnt always do the best job. i hate going to the dealer.

go to a reputable shop that you know and have the bumper resprayed. because it is pearl you will need the rear quarters and the trunk blended with the bumper. if you simply paint the bumper and put it on you will see imperfections even if the paint is identical. the paint fades over time even ever so slightly. you can get a 2007 car and paint it with factory color and it still wont match 100%.

500 for the bumper seems too much. i talked to my guy and he is doing my front bumper and fender with all the blending for 450. i have pearl white also.

good luck with the fix. keep us updated.
Old 05-27-08, 11:19 PM
kevincao01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
if that was only true. working with dealers, body shops, and knowing a lot of people that work for dealers and at body shops....the dealer doesnt always do the best job. i hate going to the dealer.

go to a reputable shop that you know and have the bumper resprayed. because it is pearl you will need the rear quarters and the trunk blended with the bumper. if you simply paint the bumper and put it on you will see imperfections even if the paint is identical. the paint fades over time even ever so slightly. you can get a 2007 car and paint it with factory color and it still wont match 100%.

500 for the bumper seems too much. i talked to my guy and he is doing my front bumper and fender with all the blending for 450. i have pearl white also.

good luck with the fix. keep us updated.
I agree. There is a chance things can go wrong. Paint does fade, so it could end up being the correct paint but it doesn't match the faded color on the car. I guess what I was trying to say is that Lexus and a small handful of reputable shops are the ones that will most likely have the ability and knowledge to do a good job. Stay away from the Maacos and other "inexpensive" chains.
Old 05-27-08, 11:19 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can give an automotive paint store your color code and they can match it and give you a small can of it. My dad and I did this for one panel of my old car and the color looked exact. The prepping and painting, on the other hand, turned out to be not as easy as I thought and the paint job turned out pretty crappy because I didn't even put a clear coat on it because I was so ready to be done with it and really was just happy the holes were filled in on the trunk. The double-decker Shogun spoiler/wing didn't look as good as I thought it would haha

Last edited by SClean4; 05-27-08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 11:21 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

hmm i love pearl white i wish this never happened i just got the car to blah im geting a quote on a new bumper hopefully tomorrow ill keep you guys posted THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP and not being mean haha sorry im a noob but ill get there eventually.... oh and that idea about combining all the flaws on the car to get past the deductible anyone has a good story i can use for that? if im not mistaken insurance companys only cover one that thats associated with the incident...
Old 05-28-08, 01:13 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn sucks to see.. but yea go with the dealer.
Old 05-28-08, 01:41 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the dealer doesnt always do the best job. i hate going to the dealer.
I agree, it totally depends on the person doing the job. A dealership can give you a great paint job or a horrible one depending on who is doing the work. I've even known a person at Maaco that did such an excellent job that you wouldn't expect it.

Best advice is to ask someone who has a very good relationship with a painter so he knows the quality of the products and work that he does.
Old 05-28-08, 05:35 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM
I agree, it totally depends on the person doing the job. A dealership can give you a great paint job or a horrible one depending on who is doing the work. I've even known a person at Maaco that did such an excellent job that you wouldn't expect it.

Best advice is to ask someone who has a very good relationship with a painter so he knows the quality of the products and work that he does.
dealers dont paint, they sub out the work, and make a percentage on it, cut them out from the beginning.
Old 05-28-08, 06:14 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

^I believe Longo Toyota a "collision center" which is shared with Longo Lexus.
Old 05-28-08, 06:30 AM
SeoulMan24
Rookie

You made it sound like your car was totaled...

I am sure that is an easy fix!
Old 05-28-08, 06:50 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

You have to replace that bumper so it will automatically cost more than 500. Buy the bumper from lexus and take it to a good shop local that will match the paint good.
Old 05-28-08, 02:57 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

got the price for the bumper from lexus today 500.59 plus tax theres my deductible im going to shop later today or tomorrow.

Last edited by scshinobi; 05-28-08 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 03:11 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scshinobi
got the price for the bumper from lexus today 500.59 plus tax theres my deductible im going to shop later today or tomorrow.im thinking of put it back the way it originally was to make it look worse. was thinking more believable to the agent?
I would be really careful of what you say in "public" about this type of stuff. It could come back to haunt you. Ya never know who is on here. You have pictures of the original damage. You should never mess with anything you are going to claim on insurance. It's too late for that so just tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth and you should be just fine. You have the right to take the car for repairs to whatever body shop you want, so find the high end expensive shops and get estimates from them. The insurance companies are not stupid and they are not going to pay out more than they determine the damage is. The dealer is a good place to get an estimate because the insurance company is going to trust there assesment and it will be inflated already.
Old 05-28-08, 03:18 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
I would be really careful of what you say in "public" about this type of stuff. It could come back to haunt you. Ya never know who is on here. You have pictures of the original damage. You should never mess with anything you are going to claim on insurance. It's too late for that so just tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth and you should be just fine. You have the right to take the car for repairs to whatever body shop you want, so find the high end expensive shops and get estimates from them. The insurance companies are not stupid and they are not going to pay out more than they determine the damage is. The dealer is a good place to get an estimate because the insurance company is going to trust there assesment and it will be inflated already.
very good point thanks for the help im going to take it to a shop soon ill just remove that icky clay i put on im just gonna do it right like you said leave it alone and stick to the pros hopefully all comes together well
Old 05-28-08, 03:43 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to a few shops. Some will gladly quote high to get more money to do other work. Combine that with some additional money to get the AC/Vertex kit, and you have a fully kitted SC.

Sell me your OEM side skirts when done. My boy needs them.

Quick Reply: $#@%@#$%@#^# my sc has been hit