SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 with moonroof or sunroof??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 08:51 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts
Default SC300 with moonroof or sunroof??

I haven't really received an answer for this but, do SC300's have a moon roof or a sun roof? I Swear i see pictures here with the top popped up on the back side like a moon roof, and others completely open like a sun roof. So what is it?? Pictures would be cool too!
Old 04-14-08, 08:52 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

It's simple...... moonroof has no glass. The old Celica's had a moon roof, all metal retractible panel. Sunroof has glass, let's the sun in....... (I know, a revelation in itself, eh?)
Old 04-14-08, 09:33 AM
joewitafro
Racer

ooook... so does the sc300 "sun roof".. fully retract aswell as pop open in the rear?
Old 04-14-08, 09:44 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sc3 and sc4 sunroof is the same. They both tilt up but can only open when the tilt is closed.They go inside the roof when open.

Last edited by sc250tt; 04-14-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-14-08, 09:54 AM
dantama
Driver School Candidate

And if you are tall, they eat up a lot of head room. I'm 6'1" and my hair barely skims the head liner. I wish I didn't have a sun roof.
Old 04-14-08, 09:56 AM
RexNICO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's simple...... moonroof has no glass. The old Celica's had a moon roof, all metal retractible panel. Sunroof has glass, let's the sun in....... (I know, a revelation in itself, eh?)
Not actually ...

Originally Posted by sunroofs.org
The terms SUNROOF and MOONROOF are generally used as single, combined words within the automotive industry, unlike BobDole, which should be stated and written as two separate names

Please allow me to answer your forum question correctly:

Just as a SEDAN is a distinctive type of AUTOMOBILE, a MOONROOF is a type of SUNROOF.

SUNROOF is the generic term used to describe any panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. While most sunroof panels are operable, some may be fixed.

The term MOONROOF was used in the 70's to describe a glass panel inbuilt electric sunroof, and is now used generically to describe all glass panel inbuilt sunroofs. An inbuilt sunroof is one where the operable panel slides between the vehicle roof and headliner, and is often powered but may be manually operated.

There are distinct categories of SUNROOF products, including: Pop-Up, Spoiler, Folding, Topslider, Inbuilt, Removable Panel [T/Targa] and large roof systems. SUNROOFS may be OEM or AFTERMARKET installed. Over 70% of all aftermarket sunroofs sold today are installed for new car dealers, prior to the vehicle being offered for sale. Few vehicle owners know the difference, or that the sunroof may be an aftermarket add-on when the vehicle they purchased included it.
Old 04-14-08, 09:57 AM
joewitafro
Racer

^^ thank you, that was all I was asking. I've been wanting to sell my supra and get a sc300, one reason is I hate taking my targa off each time I want a little fresh air on a nice day. I was put off a little when I heard from some people (obviously they didn't know what they were talking about) saying that it only popped up, and did not retract into the headliner.

No problem about being tall. I'm 5'6. lol.. Only problem I will have is when I wear a helmet for drags or drifting.

Can't wait till I can sell my soup and get a lexus!!!
Old 04-14-08, 10:23 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by RexNICO
Not actually ...
Yes, actually. Sunroof is not a generic term, is it specific no matter how the general population uses it. As is moonroof. It is clear from what you posted this site is offering an opinion. It's like bananas are yellow - it's not even debatable, it's a fact.

Moonroofs are non glass metal panels.
Sunroofs are clear panels.
Old 04-14-08, 11:54 AM
RexNICO
Pole Position

Yes, actually. Sunroof is not a generic term, is it specific no matter how the general population uses it. As is moonroof. It is clear from what you posted this site is offering an opinion. It's like bananas are yellow - it's not even debatable, it's a fact.

Moonroofs are non glass metal panels.
Sunroofs are clear panels.
I wasn't offering up an opinion, just showing the site as a reference.

It goes against all logic, but since the mid-70's introduction, a glass (usually shaded) panel accompanied by a sliding (usually) cloth panel is a moon roof. The concept (introduced by Ford) was that at night you could slide the cloth panel back and see the moon, even it was too cool to "open" the roof. The "specific" difference may be it's a moon roof when accompanied by the cloth panel.
Old 04-14-08, 11:57 AM
RexNICO
Pole Position

Though the answer to the original post may be simply ...

The factory option is for a power assisted glass panel opening that has the ability to tilt or "open" and includes a head liner matching cloth panel to provide shade as needed.
Old 04-14-08, 12:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Wow, ive never found myself disagreeing with anything OLT has ever written but I think theres something up here.

Sunroof is the term for anything that opens up, usually metal you cant see through

and Moonroof is a sunroof with a glass panel.

see wiki excerpt here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunroof
"Historically, European factory installed sunroofs have been opaque, and slide open to allow sunshine and fresh air into the passenger compartment. Most factory sunroofs offered today feature a glass panel, and are often referred to as moonroofs, a term introduced by Ford in the 1970s."
Old 04-14-08, 12:57 PM
Sakura_Pro
Rookie

The original factory brochure lists it as a "power folding moonroof" option for the 1993 model. Who knows but I have always known anything with glass as a moonroof and and any thing solid as a sun roof.
Old 04-14-08, 12:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Wiki is certainly not the be all end all of information, but I'm willing to bend and say it it a widespread matter of opinion on what is and what isn't and leave it lying in vanillaville.

I certainly have better things to do than wonder about this. My give a damn meter is chained to the bottom of the floor on this one .
Old 04-14-08, 01:12 PM
Sakura_Pro
Rookie

Wiki is certainly not the be all end all of information, but I'm willing to bend and say it it a widespread matter of opinion on what is and what isn't and leave it lying in vanillaville.

I certainly have better things to do than wonder about this. My give a damn meter is chained to the bottom of the floor on this one .
Honestly, trust about 9% of what you read on wiki
Old 04-14-08, 02:30 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The following taken from www.dictionary.com:

Moonroof - –noun, plural -roofs. a transparent section of an automobile roof that can be propped open, removed entirely, or remain fixed within the roof.

Sunroof - –noun, plural roofs. a section of an automobile roof that can be slid or lifted open.

They seem to be very alike so you guys be the judges and form your own opinion/arguments.

Quick Reply: SC300 with moonroof or sunroof??