SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

LCD in Japanese - help in translation !! SC400 91

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 01:07 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmmm... But wait...

There are Soarer Clubs already active in Australia like ALSOC ( http://www.lexus.australia.as/ ) and a good source of information is the UK LSOC ( www.lexusclub.co.uk ) Pay particular attention to the forums as it's got some useful information in it (amongst some not so useful information). Some information that might interest you is the cruise control de-limiter and various fixes to the Digital Dash. The annual Soarer meet was held recently as well (13th Jan) in Melbourne and I beleive the other states held similar events including dyno runs and air induction comparisons.

Toan

'93 Soarer GTL 2.5L Twin Turbo
Old 01-28-02, 06:33 AM
LexOZ
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Hey guys, wait for me!!

I bought a 92 limited (V8) instead of a Commondoor/Falcon/etc...WHY? Cause if the car was a woman..i'd marry it! I drive the thing every chance I get because I find something new every time.

PS* I live in Sydney too!!! I'm in for a club!!

I am currently working on a full EMV translation book complete with pictures..

CR
Old 01-29-02, 03:07 AM
Nico
Driver School Candidate

Talking Soarer

I'm In the city (cbd)

(Flirtatous)

My headlights is really dull, i think it's the inside of the headlights, i was thinking to take the it apart my self but i am no mechanic and dont want to spend more $$$ to buy a whole new headlight.

Do u know anyone that can take apart a soarer headlight in sydney so i could probably polish it with a plastic cleaner or maybe a pro that could do it for me.. i really dont want to pay $400 on a second hand headlight.

About the basic service, i currently service my car at midas but was really shocked when recieve the bill, so i would mind to give ur friend a try to service my car but if it's possible could you tell me how much he charge.. (things like changing spark plugs, oil, coolant, oil filter).

With the maintainance manual? is that like a book or a file? i am interested.

Could you also give me the detail of the guy's address in ryde which he claim to have been working on these car's for yrs.

I also liked to know whether anyone that lives around sydney has upgraded their original sound system? where did u upgrade the system and how much it cost u?

Anyone here ever reach the final speed limit for the soarer? I was trying out to see what is the top speed for the car and when i get to 179-180 rpm just went back down and up again but stayed on 179.. but i heard that this car would run smooth up to 251 km/h... (Speed was done in M5)

Oh yea i would be happy to become a member of the club.
Old 01-29-02, 03:34 AM
LexOZ
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Hi Flirtatious,

There is a Sydney based company that sells all sorts of parts & accesories for the soarer, including full workshop manuals. Check them out on;

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/startrade/

There is also an electronics GURU that fixed my touch screen in Marickville (NAMS Electronic repairs). He also does the Cruise control mod, speed limiter mod and I think he can also do the TV conversion!! Only thing is you have to remove the component(s) yourself and take it in, then he fixes it for you. Not a bad way to learn how your car is put together!!

There is also a place at Rushcutters bay, Sydney, that does mechanical repairs etc. The owner is VERY knowlegable on these cars and can source almost everything for it.

Old 01-29-02, 04:22 PM
scott
Driver School Candidate

good info LexOz
i rang NAMS they do the TV conversion for $960 + GST - cheaper than unique autosports $1300

Only thing is if i have my LED screen on (eg. listening to stereo) while the car isn't running after about a minute a *** message come up which i've been told means the current is too high and the car needs to be started. What's the use of the TV then??

Nico I'm about to upgrade the premium stereo.

I've put in a 12 inch sub in the boot in a box that sits on the spare. I'll have an amp on either side sitting under perspex windows under a false floor which covers it all. One amp will power the sub and the other some new 5 1/4 inch speaker which are going up the front. I'll leave the standard headunit/stacker.
Old 01-30-02, 05:17 AM
LexOZ
Driver School Candidate

Scott,

The type of battery you use in a Lex is very important because of the amount of electronic wizardry involved. I believe that for compliancy reasons, all vehicles must have certain things done, like Aust Standard approved seat belts must be fitted, new tyres must be fitted...and a new battery is often fitted as you can not ship a vehivle with a battery installed. What this means is that when they are doing the compliancy mods, they usually fit the cheapest, nastiest battery that "will just do"!

My vehicle was one of these and the battery failed after 3-4 months. I now have the biggest battery I could fit in the craddle with about 650 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) as opposed to about 300 CCA on the original. It now cranks and starts instantly and should be able to cope with a stereo.

Let me know how you go!!

Cheers
Old 01-30-02, 01:52 PM
scott
Driver School Candidate

yeah that makes sense....

I was going to fit a heavy duty deep cycle battery when the stereo goes in anyway so ill keep you posted as to whether the LCD error message disappears (i'm sure it will though).
Old 01-31-02, 03:20 PM
Flirtatous
Driver School Candidate

Default Back in Town

Hi Guys,

Was in Melbourne with work and didn't get a chace to catch up. Am going to be in Singapore for a couple of weeks - anyone need any parts!!

Nico, talking about service, I just got mine serviced, while I was in Melbourne, he's changed the spark plugs, the radiator had 20% block, he's cleaned all that, drained & changed the coolant, changed the radiator thermostat, front brake pads changed, changed the engine oils & filters and tightened up a few bolds in the rear suspension, he's used all original spares from Toyota, premium Shell oil - he's billed me a little under $ 700.00, including parts & his labour. I think that is a really good price, If you believe that is a good price, let me know, I'll introduce you to him. If you want I can get you the dollar value on these parts - I know each spark plug is something like $ 13.95 (original Denso, in Toyota packaging)

For the speed - at 179km/hr the car has a speed limiter fitted, as a part of Japanese regulations. (Lucky, you got away with 180 on M5!!). You can put in some mods. to increase the speed upto 250 km/hr or something in that area, I believe the computer system in the car has data available to run it upto speeds of 300km/hr, Nam is a 'propeller head' with electronics and a very nice guy, I have met Nam couple of times and got my FM frequency expander fitted through them, I was not too impressed - I can now listen to 106.5, etc but the reception keeps dropping and it is even more irritating. The problems with TV for 960 + GST is, One The car has TV antenna fitted in the rear side glasses - my research tells me, the antenna is not good enough for our (Australian) signals, besides the fact that both countries have different transmission formats as well.
2. There is a risk with letting anyone play too much with the electronics of the car, if they screw up anything else, no one knows how to fix it and no one will take responsibility for it
3. On the practical side, it is a lot of money to watch TV on a small screen for drives within the city - !! (you are better off watching the traffic - just kid...)

The manuals, you can get them from Startrade or even I can get arrange them for you, the Startrade guy did give me some discount, beyond the website prices, I have had long chats on electronics of the car with Steven (at startrade) and made friends with him and thus the discounts

The guy in Ryde is Rick at West Ryde Mechanicals at 02 9807 9152. Nice guy and quite helpful.

Scott,

Any ideas on the club.

LexOZ

My 'baby' came with the original battery and tyres (with half of the print in Japanese - again!! - I am getting sick of this translation problem) Don't know, how the hell do they get these cars in and complianced with original batteries, shouldn't be doing it. The guy who did the compliancing on my car put in the cheapest oils and filters that he could get hold of - had to change them all.
Take Care - enjoy your day
Flirtatous
Old 02-01-02, 01:07 AM
Nico
Driver School Candidate

Default Service

Welcome back Flirtatous

Does the guy that service for you come to your house?
Cause if he does that will be even better I have a garage that he could work in.

Is it possible to buy ur own parts and tell him to install it for you so i just pay for the labour or even pick what kind of stuff i want to use such as (Engine oil - Mobile One instead of Premium shell oil), (Spark Plug - NGK Platnium instead of Dextron). Could you introduce me to him so i can ask more question.

My recent problem with the car is the speedo meter, if anyone know's where i could fix this problem in sydney (service station) please let me know... The problem is that the speed meter says "0 Km/h" even though i'm travelling at such a high speed, i asked someone about this problem and they said that the problem is with the faulty speed sensor No. 1 at the end of the gearbox ( he says that i need to buy a whole new or second hand speed sensor especially for soarer from a wrecker other wise a brand new one cost $$$ and takes 1 month time to deliver from japan.
Old 02-01-02, 04:27 AM
LexOZ
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

Welcome back Flirtatious.

Good luck in Singapore..Lock your visa up dude or you may come back with a container ! Parts you said??? How about a couple of SC430s' for the boyz !!!

It seems that you got a good deal on the servicing. Thats a lot of work and parts. I agree with you on NAM...what a geat guy... I didn't bother with the Radio antenas...prefer to listen to exhaust note (2.5" mandrell bent all the way) and for $950 i can buy a 80cm TV !!

Something of interest...

Last time I went to get the Family mobile serviced (Toyota LandCruiser of course) the service guy told me that Toyota Australia decided to support the Soarer models and would be able to sell any parts for them over the counter ! While he was telling me this, I saw him holding the parts listing CD in his hand. I have not tried to buy anything yet but I'd be very interested to find out.

Gota go...
Keep on Soaring.
LexOZ